PDA

View Full Version : Concept: GK techmarine tarbaby/Artillery Spotter

Psyfer
10-01-2012, 11:34 PM
I'm sounding out an idea that I've had in my head for a while just to see what people think of it.

So, here's the package (I don't have my copy of GK on hand so I cannot confirm points costs, but I'm pretty sure I can remember everything else):

Techmarine with Servoharness (+2 Armour save, 2 Power Fist attacks)

Nemesis Force Stave, (AP3, Force Weapon, +2 Invulnerable save in CC)

Orbital Uplink

Blind, Rad and Psychotrope Grenades if affordable (Fairly certain Techmarines can have all of those), any other exotic grenades as points allow.

As many Servo Skulls as you can afford, up to max (3 I believe)

Deployment and use

So, the plan of attack is as thus:

Deploy the Techmarine in cover, with as good lines of sight as possible. Drop Servo skulls either to support the rest of your army's blast template weapons/deep strike units (the Techmarine doesn't get to use them with his Orbital Strikes) , or to herd infiltrators/deep striking opponents. Use the Techmarine's abilities to improve the cover save of the terrain by 1, for even light cover that will bring said save up to +4. If you want, you could use the terrain as a firebase for a squad of support troops (e.g. a Purgation squad, for example), but that may detract the Techmarine's ability to act as bait (see below).

The plan is for the Tech marine to call down fire from above, pounding whatever he can spot with the appropriate orbital bombardment, the . If your opponent decides to assault him, hopefully the combination of grenades, flamer overwatch and power/force weapon attacks will leave a mark, and his saves makes him about as tough as you can get armour wise, hopefully enough for him to survive until a nearby allied unit to charge in and finish off the assailants.

The hope is to have said tech marine be a right nuisance, force your foe to focus an unreasonable amount of effort trying to remove him from play and generally cause havoc. An alternate build would use the Conversion Beamer instead of the Servo Harness and Orbital Uplink, but you'd have to take care as his armour save is going to be +3 and he won't have the Servo harness weapons (Plasma pistol, Flamer 2x Servo Arms). In that example, he can use the Servo skulls to assist his shooting, so placing them on objectives or expected choke points is a viable stratagy.

Having one of each, placed on either flank of the army, could be a viable way to go. It would take up both the Elite slots though, which is a down side. Not to mention I think either option would weigh in at 170-220 pts per Techmarine (I think), which is pretty pricey.

Sp, what do people think? Good idea or not worth the points?

Barjack
10-02-2012, 08:09 AM
Sp, what do people think? Good idea or not worth the points?

For the Points no, a single character, even with 2+ save is one lascannon shot away from getting dead.

He is a great Buff Character, not a Tank.

What makes him shine other then his obvious grenades and gadgets is that he is an IC and can join squads.
In a squad of Purifiers or even buffing some inquisitorial henchmen, He is great. But alone he is a kill point you are giving away in turn one or two. He won't be able to stop the charge or tarpit. One turn of combat, maybe two if you are lucky, but then you are giving up a consolidation move when he dies.

thecactusman17
10-02-2012, 03:04 PM
I'm sounding out an idea that I've had in my head for a while just to see what people think of it.

Not arguing for or against your list, and not a mod, but a word of advice: in many parts of the US, Tarbaby is a racist term and you probably should avoid using it when referring to anything, especially people or things that are vaguely representative of people.

Psyfer
10-02-2012, 04:41 PM
Oops, I was not aware of that at all. Thank you for bringing that to my attention. I apologise for any offense caused.