PDA

View Full Version : Which Ally to choose?

Psyfer
10-01-2012, 09:00 PM
So, My Eldar army's up to a reasonable strength and I'm looking to branch out. I've got solid ideas for a Grey Knight or a Dark Eldar force next, and I'm planning to use the Allies rules to test the waters to see which way to go.

However, I'm not certain which one to prioritise. Dark Eldar get all the synergy bonuses, but they are also a lot like my current army (just with the perks and flaws turned up until the knob falls off). Grey Knights are a bit of a change, but are a very different kettle of fish and don't mesh as well with the Eldar, though their resilience would help plug some gaps (and there could be some silly highjinks you could pull off, e.g, Culuxis Assassin next to a large Seer Council, spamming snipers, and so on).

Anyway, let me know what your thoughts are, plus any advice you might have regarding the two factions (both on their own and as allies).

Cheers,

Psyfer

Lost Vyper
10-02-2012, 04:43 AM
Iīm also planning to use GK as allies. I was going for a in your face HQ+troop and also a Vindicare (is that the spelling?) Assassin (cos i think, itīs the single coolest dude in the WH40k universe). Gots to borrow the book from my friend, and make the list...could someone give an example for a decent point cost/durability ally list?

Wolfshade
10-02-2012, 04:48 AM
I think that the GKs would work quite well, or any Powered Armoured peeps, after all your 'dar are fragile and like a scaple so something more rugged would be nice change of pace, either that or go for a horde IG/Orks

Psyfer
10-02-2012, 06:47 AM
Iīm also planning to use GK as allies. I was going for a in your face HQ+troop and also a Vindicare (is that the spelling?) Assassin (cos i think, itīs the single coolest dude in the WH40k universe). Gots to borrow the book from my friend, and make the list...could someone give an example for a decent point cost/durability ally list?

I was thinking of going for a GK Brother captain with halberd and psycannon with a squad of terminators with Justicar Anval Thrawn (Terminator sargent special character who just. won't. die...), maybe with an assassin or Techmarine as the elites choice (see this thread (http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?25140-Concept-GK-techmarine-tarbaby-Artillery-Spotter) for the idea I have for a support Techmarine). Tool up the termies to be heavy hitters, probably deep strike most of the time with the Captain. I *could* pack them all in a Storm Raven, but I think my modelling budget's a bit short for that (unemployed ATM :( ). If I go assassin, deployment will vary based on assassin type, Vindicare I'd prolly use much like I use Pathfinders, set up away from the main line of attack and use them to take out priority targets and harass exposed units, Culuxis would be nice if I go and get myself a Seer council of decent size (what's that? a squad of 10 psykers you say?), Eversor is a little frail IMO, though having one DS via Storm Raven would be just hysterical. Callidus Assassins are always good fun as well, and I'm sure their brand of sneakiness would work well with Eldar shinanigans...

So many choices.

Lost Vyper
10-02-2012, 07:03 AM
I got the same idea about the Vindicare assassin, got Pathfinders any way (and know who to play them :) ), mind as well pack more punch from a distance. All of these are my friends models and he has two Storm Ravens, hmm...Mostly i would use this setup against Necrons/Orcs, so the Eldar CC department would be a single unit, either Scorpions or Clowns any way...Two sets of 3 x WWīs with SLīs, Eldrad, Hornet with SLīs...hmm...sounds like a listīs brewing up!

thecactusman17
10-02-2012, 03:55 PM
I play Dark Eldar, and they are not very alike at all in several key aspects. DE are an army that plays off of careful synergy (something that Eldar possess in spades) and a strong aggressive play style.

One big issue with Grey Knights is that Farseers will hurt them BAD in the psychic phase. However, Eldar with an Autarch could end up being really effective depending on the rules for his reserves assistance. Ultimately, though, I think that Grey Knights are just not a good combo, with a lot of covering for weaknesses but not much in the way of exploiting Eldar Strengths.

Psyfer
10-02-2012, 05:02 PM
Runes of Warding specifically effects enemy casters, so I shouldn't be an issue as far as I can tell. But I do see your point, DE and E go together very well.

Lost Vyper
10-03-2012, 07:15 AM
Of course DE is the shiznit, but no one has that army in our gaming club, and the budget wont allow me to go there. So, going against fe. Necrons, i got GK, IG, Orcs, SW, BA as my choices. Which one would you take?

DarkLink
10-03-2012, 02:41 PM
Runes of Warding specifically effects enemy casters, so I shouldn't be an issue as far as I can tell. But I do see your point, DE and E go together very well.

Allies are enemy units. You can't shoot them, but passive abilities like runes will hit allied gks.

Take a Grand Master, never a Brother Captain. Give them all the grenades. Take a Brotherhood Banner in the squad, and you'll ignore runes for activating your force weapons. Rad grenades and reroll 1s to wound from The Grand Strategy negates the need for Hammerhand most of the time. And, really, if Thawn dies to perils on Hammerhand, no big deal. He'll be back.