PDA

View Full Version : Emperor's Children Heldrake (Counts as)

TheGodOfNothing
09-29-2012, 05:12 PM
So I really like the feel/abilities of the upcoming heldrake and being as that I am to cheap to buy one of the new kits and my "pre-heresy-esque" Emperor's children have an almost loyalist look to them I decided to scratch build a more heldrake with more of a vehicle appearance. It still needs some touch up work but any thoughts are appreciated.
http://s3.amazonaws.com/imgly_production/5689871/original.jpg
http://s3.amazonaws.com/imgly_production/5689869/original.jpg
http://s3.amazonaws.com/imgly_production/5688111/original.jpg

ElectricPaladin
09-29-2012, 06:15 PM
Awesome conversion. I love the use of drop pod parts as wings - it really works.

Two question and one suggestion:

Q1) What do you mean "pre-heresy-esque?"

Q2) Are you going for that mottled look on the purple, or is that an accident?

IF A2 is no...

S1) I think you need to dilute your paints a little more. That should help the purple go on more smoothly.

magickbk
09-29-2012, 07:03 PM
IF A2 is no...

S1) I think you need to dilute your paints a little more. That should help the purple go on more smoothly.

By the tub of paint that is partly in the 2nd picture, and the splatter marks on the paper, I'd think maybe the issue is that the paint is extremely watery. If that's the case, and you aren't going for a mottled look, try mixing in a little Liquitex Glazing Medium. That will help to spread the paint on more evenly.

The conversion looks fantastic. Is that a Helblaster barrel?

Emerald Rose Widow
09-29-2012, 08:50 PM
I think the mottled look looks really good, and this conversion is frelling awesome.

eldargal
09-29-2012, 10:20 PM
I too like the mottled lookand agree the conversion is really splendid.:)

TheGodOfNothing
09-29-2012, 10:51 PM
Thanks so much for the compliments! The mottled look is actually from the new Citadel shade "Druchii Violet." Since it's not quite a wash it settles a little oddly and even in my vast array of brushes I have none that can spread it evenly on a flat surface. I have to say though I actually kind of like it. It does smack of "unskilled painter" but I actually think it lends a roughness to the vehicle that I appreciate since it's counting as a space/atmosphere capable fighter.

@magicbk Yes! I feel it really beefs up the plane's appearance as an engine of war.

@electricpaladin What I mean by that is I have been using the Chaos Codex for a long time and I've been modeling my Emperor's Children with Blood Angels sanguinary guard and the entirety of the army so far has nothing seemingly chaos/mutated about it. So in effect it's sort of a loyalist Emperor's Children army using the Chaos Codex. I will (money allowing) be buying a ton of Mark V armor from forgeworld to fill my rank and file.

That aside I can't think of a name for this plane. I was thinking something along the lines of the current Chaos Aircraft (Hell Talon/Hell Blade) but I haven't settled on anything any suggestions?

Denzark
09-30-2012, 03:19 AM
TGON like it - please please can we have a pic of the underside? Interested to see how the main body goes.

Archon
09-30-2012, 07:01 AM
Like the look of it. Looks better than the original, cause its no "Fuchur" ;-)

but somethin you wrote irritates me

being as that I am to cheap to buy one of the new kits

This is a build out of two or three boxes each in the region of 50 (the drop pod is cheaper) € ? So to buy a helldrake is cheaper:eek:

magickbk
09-30-2012, 07:07 AM
@magicbk Yes! I feel it really beefs up the plane's appearance as an engine of war.

I would have never thought to use Empire artillery bitz on a Chaos vehicle, and it looks like it fits perfectly with that Defiler armor bit. Great!

That aside I can't think of a name for this plane. I was thinking something along the lines of the current Chaos Aircraft (Hell Talon/Hell Blade) but I haven't settled on anything any suggestions?

It has such a claw-like appearance, I think you need to call it the Hell Claw. Plus, since you used drop pod parts, it fits in with the Dreadclaw concept as well.

isotope99
09-30-2012, 07:32 AM
'Hand of Perfection' is my vote.

I like it and would also be interested in seeing the underside.

My only criticisms are I would have probably filled or covered the slots in the defiler guard somehow and added some more texture to the flat plate on top (a few rivets or something) but minor points.

TheGodOfNothing
09-30-2012, 08:35 AM
Luckily I finished the gold detailing on the underside as well as the tubing on the top. I washed the turbines and the vectored thrust ones as well but I don't think you can see it in the photos. The bottom is not as polished looking as the top mind you and you can kind of see a lot more of the kitbashing but I'm fine with it personally since you're not really looking at it when it's being used : )
The only thing that irks me a little is the bottom defiler leg guard on the underside of the gun. I cut it in half, trimmed it down and cut plasticard for it but it's still really obvious. Not my best work. I think the gold trim hides it a little though.

@Archon Had a laugh at that and you're absolutely right but ever since I amassed a sizable collection of unbuilt kits and unused models I've put my foot down and gone with a steady regimen of "recycle, reuse, and repaint." With that in mind I've being re purposing a lot of my minis.

@magickbk Hell Claw sounds pretty cool. What about Startalon? Since it's space capable.

@isotope99 I personally like the gap but I understand what you mean. As for the top I totally agree with you. I was thinking of going back to add something else. Maybe plasticard a rim that looks a little like the defiler's with slight chaosy spikes.

magickbk
09-30-2012, 09:24 AM
@magickbk Hell Claw sounds pretty cool. What about Startalon? Since it's space capable.

That's good. It's a shame they just used Warp Talons for the new codex. Void Talon would also work, I think. I think Startalon would sound less corrupted, though, since your army concept places them as loyalist rather then having spent 10K in the EoT.

Chris*ta
09-30-2012, 09:44 AM
Wow !! Awesome conversion!

I quite like the uneven effect on the purple, it reminds me of velvet quite a bit. I think once you put a couple more highlights on the purple, and put in a couple of spot colours (not entirely sure what on), it will have less of the problem of people questioning whether it's a problem of the purple not covering properly/coming out splotchy.

I must say I haven't loved any of the names suggested so far -- I'd avoid the Hell prefix as this is specifically for Chaos ships, whereas this is meant to be more an obsolete Loyalist design (if I understand your fluff correctly). Maybe go for a name that is weather related like the Thunderbolt/Lightning, but a bit different to them somehow? Not sure ...

I do really like Isotope's suggestion of Hand of Perfection (feels very Emperor's Children-y) but it feels better as a name for this specific plane, rather than as a name for the type/class.

TheGodOfNothing
09-30-2012, 02:39 PM
@magickbk/Chris*ta Well looking at the available space/atmospheric capable Imperial vessels you have the Fury Interceptor and the Marauder Bomber. The Thunderbolt while space capable is typically only deployed by platforms in space and does not act as a true space-borne interceptor. That being said I think maybe a name similar to Fury or Marauder would be good. Sadly Raider and Ravager are taken by the Dark Eldar and Rage and Frenzy sound a little to much like they belong in Khorne's realm of naming. Corsair sounds alright but maybe a little too much like a pirate. In my mind this is an air superiority fighter that hunts down it's targets and shreds their fuselage from their wings in a hail of gunfire. Something like a carnivorous beast or a stealthy hunter. Thoughts?

ElectricPaladin
09-30-2012, 02:43 PM
@magickbk/Chris*ta Well looking at the available space/atmospheric capable Imperial vessels you have the Fury Interceptor and the Marauder Bomber. The Thunderbolt while space capable is typically only deployed by platforms in space and does not act as a true space-borne interceptor. That being said I think maybe a name similar to Fury or Marauder would be good. Sadly Raider and Ravager are taken by the Dark Eldar and Rage and Frenzy sound a little to much like they belong in Khorne's realm of naming. Corsair sounds alright but maybe a little too much like a pirate. In my mind this is an air superiority fighter that hunts down it's targets and shreds their fuselage from their wings in a hail of gunfire. Something like a carnivorous beast or a stealthy hunter. Thoughts?

Carnivorous beasts of the air? How about...
• Dactyl
• Raptor
• Eagle
• Hawk
• Shrike

TheGodOfNothing
09-30-2012, 03:39 PM
Carnivorous beasts of the air? How about...
• Dactyl
• Raptor
• Eagle
• Hawk
• Shrike

Oooh. I like the sound of Voidraptor though it's a little close to voidraven. Eagle does tie into the EC's emblem though. I might end up with Void Talon as a tie in to the current Hell Talon. This is mainly because the capabilities are the same and it even mentions that it has "vectored engines allow for superior manoeuvrability" just as mine does on it's primary wings. They also mention that the Hell Talon has servitor pilots which I could easily use to explain my craft's BS of 3.

Lexington
09-30-2012, 11:34 PM
This...is just gorgeous. Completely wonderful and imaginative. Thanks for showing it off!

Dlatrex
10-01-2012, 11:26 AM
Agreed. Very bold and regal scheme, and a very creative use of kits. I will be following this one...

TheGodOfNothing
10-01-2012, 11:39 PM
So the Voidtalon is sitting on my shelf right now. I've trying to figure out how to take away from the plainness of the top and deciding if I want to highlight the whole model using the base color I used which is a lavender. Thoughts?

Chris*ta
10-02-2012, 02:09 PM
I was going to suggest something Reaver, but it looks like you've already decided.

Oh, and I still think it could do with another highlight or two and possibly a spot colour of some kind.

TheGodOfNothing
10-05-2012, 08:02 PM
Added some text to the back of the Heldrake. 2986