PDA

View Full Version : Cypher still around?

Angron
09-28-2012, 10:11 PM
Was having a discussion with my buddy, and we couldn't remember if Cypher is still out there, taking candy from Dark Angel babies and whatnot. I seem to remember some big event called Hunt for the Fallen where they supposedly caught him, which is why he got taken out of chaos codexes, but I'm not 100% especially after all the times they've retconned the lore. Does anybody have a definitive answer for this or even just some indicative guessing?

Dalleron
09-28-2012, 10:51 PM
There is probably some reason to take him out of the Chaos Codex. Mostly that he may, or may not, be in league with Chaos. Current DA codex has him still at large, and currently #1 on the DA list of Fallen. He seems to attract other Fallen. A longer time DA player than myself has said that when Cypher leaves a planet, it is in better Imperial Control than before he arrived. But retconn's have wasy of fixing that.

I think a bigger question is whether or not the current Cypher is the one from the HH era. Cypher was someone, but his name was a rank within the DA history.

We are talking about GW, and they may never give an answer to the question.

inquisitorsog
10-01-2012, 06:18 PM
I think that they realized they got a gift when Gav left it hanging out there that the Fallen may actually be the LOYALISTS and that the rest of the chapter were those who sat on the fence during the Heresy. Certainly the Heresy novels and stories have not painted the Lion in the best light. These leaves the Cypher-as-Istvaanian angle twisting in the wind. However, of late, they've been playing that role more up for Alpha Legion, so who knows.

I doubt with the current leadership at GW that we'll ever get answers unless someone slips it through without it getting caught by editors. They seem to be concerned that to advance into M42 may cut into sales for one faction or another and so seem happy to retcon instead of move the timeline forward. If we don't see anything happen with Cypher in the rumored upcoming DA codex, I doubt we will see anything. GW seems to only maintain old characters as-is and introduce new ones to broaden the fluff (and options for players as well as models to sell).

Daemonette666
10-02-2012, 06:40 AM
There are no official rules for him. The new HH series from FW should have him, but when that book is to come out is unknown to me.

I know he has the gunslinger rule, which is something like the sister of battle seraphim shooting ability, and bith his bolt pistol and plasma pistol are master crafted. His old stats were average SM captain stats, so if you want to make a character up for him, just use a standard SM captain, give the gunslinger rule, replace his CCW a plasma pistol, and pay to have both weapons M/crafted. I would give him nothing extra, in rules or equipment, except hatred Dark Angels (current angels that is) and give him an honour guard of veteran SM from the DA codex to use as fallen.

It would be fun, and your friends could not really disagree too much, as you have not made him too over powerful, and his price and stats are average and normal for a SM.

Rev. Tiberius Jackhammer
10-02-2012, 06:51 AM
so if you want to make a character up for him, just use a standard SM captain, give the gunslinger rule, replace his CCW a plasma pistol, and pay to have both weapons M/crafted.Even better - Gunslinger is now a rule in the BRB under the Pistol's info page, and it works for any model with 2 pistols!

energongoodie
10-02-2012, 07:15 AM
!!!!!!!!SPOILER ALERT!!!!!!!!!!

The new audio drama, Malediction, has ( highlight to read)Cypher organising a group of Imperials against a Chaos force coming to wipe them out. He is on the front line with them. He comes across as a good guy.

Interesting times ahead for the Dark Angels.

Dalleron
10-03-2012, 11:46 PM
Too bad you can't read audio dramas. Not to keen on them.

Perhaps if the DA were able to capture him, things would be different for them. Though we'll never know, I wonder how many of the Fallen are left. I believe they keep a list and It's been a looooong time since the Fall of Caliban.

Psychosplodge
10-04-2012, 02:03 AM
They do, but piss off the wrong chapter higher up and you're going on the list...

DarkDesigner
10-04-2012, 04:54 AM
They do, but piss off the wrong chapter higher up and you're going on the list...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1NLV24qTnlg

Psychosplodge
10-04-2012, 04:59 AM
http://youtu.be/0V3SqxUomwk

DarkDesigner
10-04-2012, 05:13 AM
Ah, well met :)

Daemonette666
10-04-2012, 09:20 AM
Yes Mr Mainwaring sir.

VaUgHaNy86
10-17-2012, 06:16 AM
From what I can remember he's been "caught" a number of times, but mysteriously disappears before he can be interrogated, he certainly still exists in modern fluff but it is unknown if he is the original Lord Cypher and from the rumours circulating there is a chance he may be in the new DA codex (I'm certainly hoping so anyways)