PDA

View Full Version : Flyer rule inquiry

planet psyrum
09-24-2012, 06:07 PM
Sorry if this is a dumb question. I read and reread, and then skimmed the 6th rulebook. I do not believe I have a great grasp on the rules, however, I think I have a good grasp on them. I have always played, because I thought I read this rule, that when flyers leave the board, that they go in ongoing reserve and then return from the same board edge they left and have to go the same speed(combat, cruising, and zooming) . My question is, is this true? I ask this because I was recently at a tournament and it was ruled that no they have to come back from the controlling player's board edge. I protested this, and then searched the rulebook for the correct answer, and could not find it. Can someone answer, and maybe give a page number?

Tynskel
09-24-2012, 06:24 PM
it is not stated what board edge directly. However, the rules for reserves state how reserves enter the board.

JMichael
09-24-2012, 07:06 PM
Here's how I read it:
pg 81 - Flyers that leave the table go into Ongoing Reserves (I don't see anything that states they have to return at the same speed, other than they must Zoom).

pg 125 - Ongoing Reserves state that you enter play on your following turn following the normal rules for Reserves, which state you must enter via your own table edge. Even if you have the Outflank Special rule, you must still enter from you own table edge (pg 40).

thecactusman17
09-24-2012, 08:17 PM
Flyers in 6th edition work different from Flyers in Apocalypse, where they would indeed come on from the same board edge they left from. Instead, your flyers "loop back around" and reenter the table from your own edge.

War Painter
09-25-2012, 02:28 AM
Look at it this way, coming in on your own board edge could be a good thing. Your enemies are probably advancing towards you so you've got a great shot immediately, and you could destroy those pesky guys trying to get the line breaker point.

Force21
09-30-2012, 02:58 PM
I have a question about flyers as well...I just don't want to start a new thread.

I was playing some games last weekend & I heard that Valk's & Vendetta's can't outflank??? so I was looking at the rulebook & can't find anything saying that flyers can not outflank,

I know they can't if they fly off the table as they are ongoing reserves.

Thanks in advance.

JMichael
09-30-2012, 11:21 PM
@Force21
I didn't find anything under the rules for Flyer, Scout, or Outflank that suggests a Flyer with these rules cannot indeed outflank when it initially enters the table.

Tynskel
10-01-2012, 06:13 AM
yeah, flyers that can deep strike, may do so, as well.

Nabterayl
10-01-2012, 11:38 AM
I was playing some games last weekend & I heard that Valk's & Vendetta's can't outflank??? so I was looking at the rulebook & can't find anything saying that flyers can not outflank,

The person you heard was probably thinking of this FAQ:

Q: What effect, if any, does the Scout special rule have on a Valkyrie or Vendetta? Will this allow it to enter play in Turn 1 by redeploying 6" onto the board? (p56)
A: It has no effect.
Some people have interpreted this to mean that Valkyries and Vendettas no longer have Outflank, since they receive Outflank by virtue of being Scouts and their Scout USR "has no effect." I don't think that's the correct interpretation. The Scout "rule also confers the Outflank special rule" (page 41), and the second sentence of the FAQ limits the scope of the answer to the "scout move" aspect of the Scout USR - and thus, does not invalidate Scout conferring Outflank.

Daemonette666
10-02-2012, 06:50 AM
What about flying Monstrous creatures? can they leave the table in the same way as fliers, and return on their own table edge in the next turn?

It could make Flying MCs a bit more powerful and able to redeploy quicker. I have had them shot down because they had to move closer to one or another enemy unit which subsequently shot it down, then assaulted it. If I could have turned left instead of right, then zoomed off the table, I could have arrive via any part of my own table edge to intercept his troops attempting to reach my objectives or those looking to get line breaker?

Tynskel
10-02-2012, 08:13 AM
flying monsterous creatures follow the same 'recurring' reserves rules. They reenter from their board edge.