PDA

View Full Version : Magna grapple and flyers

KwilliamsFLA
09-22-2012, 12:11 PM
Can a BA magna grapple hit a zooming flyer?

Tynskel
09-22-2012, 12:46 PM
I'd suggest reading the rules on shooting guns...

KwilliamsFLA
09-22-2012, 02:54 PM
Really thanks

Tynskel
09-23-2012, 09:21 AM
did you read the rules?
Because they state only weapons that can fire 'snap fire' and are not blast/templates, can hit flyers.

The Magna Grapple isn't a blast, and it can fire snap fire... soooooo...
I am not sure why you are asking this question.

If you are asking if you can assault the flyer afterward: no. Because, once again reading the rules, the magna grapple releases the target at the end of the shooting phase. Since the Flyer is Zooming, it cannot be assaulted, even though the base is within 1".

Nabterayl
09-23-2012, 09:25 AM
Rude though he is, Tynskel is right, and that's exactly the analysis. Note that while a magna grapple can HIT a zooming flyer, and can cause it to crash by making it move too slowly, it still doesn't allow a dreadnought to assault a zooming flyer, for the same reason that it is subject to Hard to Hit.

Tynskel
09-23-2012, 09:32 AM
The real question you should be asking:

can a unit being tank shocked by the flyer that is being dragged perform a 'Death or Glory' attempt.
I would say no, because the automatic hits cannot be performed against flyers unless explicitly stated by the main rulebook (or codex rules). I am defaulting to the 'automatic hits' vs flyers FAQ, which states that they cannot hit flyers.

Tynskel
09-23-2012, 09:40 AM
Rude though he is, Tynskel is right, and that's exactly the analysis. Note that while a magna grapple can HIT a zooming flyer, and can cause it to crash by making it move too slowly, it still doesn't allow a dreadnought to assault a zooming flyer, for the same reason that it is subject to Hard to Hit.

Which is ruder, to ask something that can be solved by one's one reading, or to point out that this can be solved by one's own reading?

I am just playing at the level of the rest of the forum. :)

Wolfshade
09-24-2012, 02:35 AM

can a unit being tank shocked by the flyer that is being dragged perform a 'Death or Glory' attempt.
I would say no, because the automatic hits cannot be performed against flyers unless explicitly stated by the main rulebook (or codex rules). I am defaulting to the 'automatic hits' vs flyers FAQ, which states that they cannot hit flyers.

Now that is an interesting question, and one that isn't just turn to ppX and read the rules for shooting..

ElectricPaladin
09-24-2012, 07:33 AM
Damn, but that's a great mental image.

Nabterayl
09-24-2012, 03:31 PM
Which is ruder, to ask something that can be solved by one's one reading, or to point out that this can be solved by one's own reading?
Well, um ... the latter, actually.

Tynskel
09-24-2012, 05:51 PM
I disagree.
People only take responsibility for themselves when pressured to do so.

Turner
09-24-2012, 08:49 PM

Step 1:
(this one is hard)
READ THE RULES!

Step 2:
READ THE FAQs

Step 3:

Step 4:
Profit!

Step 1:
(this one is hard)
READ THE RULES!
Main Rule Book, Page 85 TANKS Tanks can use their mass as a weapon, driving right into and through densely packed enemies. This often throws the opposing battle line into disarray, as having some monstrous metal behemoth coming straight at you is unnerving for anybody. TANK SHOCK When moving a Tank the player can declare that it is going to attempt to Tank Shock instead of moving normally.
Step 2:
READ THE FAQs

Step 3:

Step 4:
Profit!

I swear I must be doing this wrong...

Nabterayl
09-24-2012, 10:39 PM
I disagree.
People only take responsibility for themselves when pressured to do so.
Well, of course you do :p That's why I bothered to mention it.

Wolfshade
09-25-2012, 01:31 AM
There is an oxfam advert that runs which says:

Give a man a fish and he can feed himself for a day. Give a man the means to catch his own fish and he can feed himself and his family for a lifetime
I think this can be adapted for the wargames community:

Give a gamer an answer and it solves his one question. Give the gamer the means to read the rules and he can answer every question for himself and his family for a lifetime

Tynskel
09-25-2012, 06:01 AM
Step 1:
(this one is hard)
READ THE RULES!
Main Rule Book, Page 85 TANKS Tanks can use their mass as a weapon, driving right into and through densely packed enemies. This often throws the opposing battle line into disarray, as having some monstrous metal behemoth coming straight at you is unnerving for anybody. TANK SHOCK When moving a Tank the player can declare that it is going to attempt to Tank Shock instead of moving normally.
Step 2:
READ THE FAQs

Step 3:

Step 4:
Profit!

I swear I must be doing this wrong...

You are wrong.
The Magna Grapple says the dragged vehicle performs a tank shock if it hits an unengaged infantry unit.

Now, I think I recall that you won't tank shock through your own unit, which would negate this entire argument.

Again, I ask, what was the point of this thread?

L192837465
09-25-2012, 12:58 PM
Give a man a fish and he can feed himself for a day. Give a man the means to catch his own fish and he can feed himself and his family for a lifetime

Better:
"Give a man a fish and he can feed himself for a day. Take a mans fish and say "You'd be dead if you didn't have this" and he'll find a way to find another fish for you to take the following day."

Kyban
09-25-2012, 01:06 PM
Better:
"Give a man a fish and he can feed himself for a day. Take a mans fish and say "You'd be dead if you didn't have this" and he'll find a way to find another fish for you to take the following day."

Worse:
"Make a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day. Light a man on fire and he'll be warm the rest of his life."

Tynskel
09-25-2012, 01:14 PM
I like that one.

but, unless he's a ninja.