PDA

View Full Version : White Dwarf going Digital on the iPad!

Flammenwerfer13
09-20-2012, 09:33 AM
http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/wnt/blog.jsp?pid=4300009-gws

White Dwarf going digital??

I'm excited to announce that very soon we will be releasing our first, and much anticipated, digital edition of White Dwarf, which will be available to download for your iPad via the Apple Newsstand on Saturday.

O'rly?!

Wonder if they'll back log all the old White Dwarfs, just make them PDF readable in the future?
Nevermind that's asking GW to give a rats *** about their customers :P! lol

DrLove42
09-20-2012, 09:37 AM
Bring it out on Android and then we'll talk :P

Flammenwerfer13
09-20-2012, 09:49 AM
I doubt that will EVER happen, hell we're just lucky GW realized there is this whole interwebz thing and they can sell stuff on it and make new products for it.

DrLove42
09-20-2012, 09:51 AM
They've said they're looking into it its just a bit more complicated.

But seeing as the Android Market share is larger than Apples it makes sense, even if it is just to expand the market for something you've already done.

Deadlift
09-20-2012, 09:53 AM
I will down loading it for sure.

apahllo
09-20-2012, 03:30 PM
I will down loading it for sure.

I'm with ya, this new digital literature gw is releasing is pure gold.

Death-Monkey
09-20-2012, 03:55 PM
I'm actually quite excited by this. Though it does help out that this is one issue of White Dwarf that I really want and I didn't think I'd be able to get a copy until Thursday! But pricing will be the issue for me as if it contains all the features of the paper copy, plus some extras on top, will we be expected to pay more?

apahllo
09-20-2012, 05:50 PM
I'm actually quite excited by this. Though it does help out that this is one issue of White Dwarf that I really want and I didn't think I'd be able to get a copy until Thursday! But pricing will be the issue for me as if it contains all the features of the paper copy, plus some extras on top, will we be expected to pay more?
I'm expecting the same price as the paper. But you make a good point, guess we have to wait and see..

wittdooley
09-20-2012, 06:25 PM
They've said they're looking into it its just a bit more complicated.

But seeing as the Android Market share is larger than Apples it makes sense, even if it is just to expand the market for something you've already done.

Weve been thru this about 8 million times, but for tablets no it isn't. And it isn't close.

JMichael
09-20-2012, 07:45 PM
I would really like to look at Digital White Dwarf on the net. Like a subscription you pay and get access to the Digi copies of White Dwarf. Not like we really need to bring then with us anyway!

flekkzo
09-20-2012, 11:41 PM
Weve been thru this about 8 million times, but for tablets no it isn't. And it isn't close.

What's the latest on the profitability on the two (and more, Amazon is also out there) stores anyways? Market share means nothing if you don't make money.

If anything I would expect Amazon to be a better target for GW, *IF* Amazon could supply a professional editor for aBooks (no idea what their products are called:)) and similar deals to what Apple gives in terms of pricing and software packages.

The thing that gets me about the digital WD is the extras that only comes with the digital one. I am a sucker for extras :) Problem is that I like paper. Drats. Might buy both once to see.

Herzlos
09-21-2012, 01:51 AM
I would really like to look at Digital White Dwarf on the net. Like a subscription you pay and get access to the Digi copies of White Dwarf. Not like we really need to bring then with us anyway!

I'd also be happy with an online magazine, behind a paywall (at a discount Vs paper), so I can read it from anything with web access.

olberon
09-21-2012, 02:04 AM
big fan of it the only problem is -imo- that to read these products you need to buy an ipad. since some of us dont really have the cash laying around for such an expensive goodie i still wonder why -in case of the white dwarfs- dont make them pdf downloadable. Already got my whole collection in pdf fprm so it should be next to nothing for the guys who actually have the digital files.

In any case i wornt be buying much warhammer over the couple of months, im forced to buy a new ipad ..........................

Psychosplodge
09-21-2012, 03:19 AM
Seems silly, I'll never get the point of digital magazines and the like, you need an over priced over sized novelty not quite phone.

eldargal
09-21-2012, 03:20 AM
I'll stick to my paper copy thank you.

OrksOrksOrks
09-21-2012, 04:29 AM
What's the latest on the profitability on the two (and more, Amazon is also out there) stores anyways? Market share means nothing if you don't make money.

If anything I would expect Amazon to be a better target for GW, *IF* Amazon could supply a professional editor for aBooks (no idea what their products are called:)) and similar deals to what Apple gives in terms of pricing and software packages.

The thing that gets me about the digital WD is the extras that only comes with the digital one. I am a sucker for extras :) Problem is that I like paper. Drats. Might buy both once to see.

A lot more pople buy from, and spend more money in, the Apple App Store than the Adroid Store or whatever its called, the market share for tablets is about 60% iPad at the moment, with about 80% of purchases on tablet stores being from iPads, its a much bigger market and also an easier one to develop for with a delivery method developed specifically for Digital Magazines, the newstand app, its a simple decision to go for iOS first, get that right and then look at the android store later

Deadlift
09-21-2012, 05:32 AM
I'll stick to my paper copy thank you.

Just received my copy of this months WD, the paper quality is fantastic. There are nice shiny embossed pictures on the covers and the overall feel of the mag is a massive improvement of the previous format. I will most likely download the digitals as well so I have them all easy to hand in the future. However this new quality WD just begs to be held and caressed :)

Yep I will end up with both most likely from here on in. Clever move GW.

Wildeybeast
09-21-2012, 10:44 AM
Just received my copy of this months WD, the paper quality is fantastic. There are nice shiny embossed pictures on the covers and the overall feel of the mag is a massive improvement of the previous format. I will most likely download the digitals as well so I have them all easy to hand in the future. However this new quality WD just begs to be held and caressed :)

Yep I will end up with both most likely from here on in. Clever move GW.

Never mind the paper, have they put any thing worth READING in there?

Deadlift
09-21-2012, 10:57 AM
Never mind the paper, have they put any thing worth READING in there?

Yes, it's a much better read. Although there is quite a bit on the new codex and models, the magazine does not seem like one huge advert. There are some nice hobby articles with one centred on kit bashed Dakka jets. John Blanche article is ok but I am not a fan of his art work at all. Lord of the Rings is in there somewhere. Forgeworld have a much larger presence in the magazine, I am a big FW fan so that suits me. All in all its a vast improvement.
Each new kit does get a whole page dedicated to itself, but its done tastefully and not in your face sales. I don't like the fold out pages though, they just piss me off,
I don't know if the price has gone up as I don't pay much attention to prices but I paid £5.50 for mine from an independent.
The quality of the photography is much better too and all in all feels much more professional. Admittedly I am a bit of a GW fanboy and have rose tinted specs, but I really like this direction with WD.

Wildeybeast
09-21-2012, 11:23 AM
That's a quid more than the last one, unless your indie is adding something on. Those articles better have some proper stuff in them, because I'm not paying a quid more for shinier paper. All shall become clear tomorrow.

Deadlift
09-21-2012, 11:24 AM
That's a quid more than the last one, unless your indie is adding something on. Those articles better have some proper stuff in them, because I'm not paying a quid more for shinier paper. All shall become clear tomorrow.

Nope I generally pay less at my local model shop than GW prices.

Death-Monkey
09-22-2012, 01:31 AM
Just downloaded the ipad edition and I was very impressed (even a whole penny cheaper than the paper copy!). Deadlift you said you were looking at buying both versions so I would be most greatful if you would let us know your comparison of the two editions.

TashaG
09-22-2012, 02:25 AM
Just downloaded the ipad edition and I was very impressed (even a whole penny cheaper than the paper copy!). Deadlift you said you were looking at buying both versions so I would be most greatful if you would let us know your comparison of the two editions.

It was nice enough. I think I might stick to the paper version in the future. One thing that was VERY annoying was that only a few of the pictures was zoomable. They disabled zoom for most of the magazine, and only had a few pictures that you could zoom in on. Which seeing as the iPad's screen is smaller than the paper magazine meant that many of the pretty pictures were kind of useless.

Also the two movies that came with the mag were useless. I wish they would have put links where I could view them if I cared to. Also the 300mb foot print of a single issue was troublesome.

Also I disliked how many of the chaos models were lit. Dim lighting + Black, grey and Gold paint jobs meant that it was really hard to get a good sense of the model. Also it made many of the models in the wide army views look indistinct.

Loved the new painting and conversions sections. It was very annoying that none of the pictures in those sections were zoomable, and all of the picts were on the small side. Again making for difficult viewing.

The iBook publications are nicer than this issue of White Dwarf. Due to the fact that you can zoom (it doesn't stick, but you can zoom and view a part of a picture that catches your interest). So I was kind of annoyed with Digital White Dwarf.

Death-Monkey
09-22-2012, 10:32 AM
Been at a wedding all day trying to sneak peeks of the new white dwarf while people were pre-occupied! I feel its definately an improvement on the previous issues of WD but it remains to be seen if it will entice me to resubscribe! It was a much better read, I didn't notice that the pictures were quite dark until TashaG pointed it out but agree with that.
I really enjoyed the painting section, always one of my favourite parts, but it took me a while to realise that the reason why I could not enlarge the photos or scroll through them was that this option was not supported, again as TashaG stated. I cannot help but feel this is a glaring oversight that will hopefully be rectified in later editions.

Looking forward to the next issue non the less, also trying to stop myself from buying a paper copy too!

Deadlift
09-22-2012, 10:52 AM

Not much difference really, but I do like the convenience of the iPad version. I subscribed so its £3.75 an issue with the discount. The added 360 rotations and battle report videos are nice too. I love being able to zoom into the pictures too. GW never to miss a beat have also added tabs next to the new models, they open up to show details of the model, like who sculpted and price. You can even hit a button which will take you to it's page in the online store.

BatMarine
09-23-2012, 06:40 AM
Whatever you guys wanna hate on is cool, I am sitting here going through my iPad version right now. I'm loving it! Definitely a good call on GWs part to make it available this way.

Instead of complaining that you have to get an iPad for the digital stuff, why don't you just... Not. I mean honestly, if they don't make it for your platform yet, they just don't get your money from this specific and not very key to their business thing that just came out what? 2-3 months ago?

They'll either get to it, or they won't. That's how a ton of things work. Honestly right now it's funny, my iPad can't run flash, but at least I can get my gw books while travelling!

eldargal
09-23-2012, 06:42 AM
Also at GD they have confirmed it will be coming to Android and whatnot in the future.

Death-Monkey
09-23-2012, 01:01 PM
Got a look at the paper copy today, its definately an improvement but I think in the future I will embrace technology and stick with the digital version!

Blusox69
09-23-2012, 01:20 PM
I get T3 and Stuff via the iPad and they reduce the price over the printed version by £1.50 per copy, slightly better than a 1p saving.