PDA

View Full Version : Codex Imperial Guard-Knight Commander Pask

Kevlarshark
09-20-2012, 05:28 AM
Do you think he counts as a Character for the purposes of Precision Shot?

Tynskel
09-20-2012, 06:58 AM
Yes.
Any named character, whether living or metal, is a character and is subject to all rules as such.
The only thing is that because tanks cannot be locked in combat, they are not subject to challenges.

This would go for chronos and Bjorn.

Dorsai
09-20-2012, 07:53 AM
I would have to say no. You can target his tank, but since I have never seen anything saying you can target a vehicle's crew, I don't know how you could actually say you are shooting him. After all, he is just the commander of the tank. Yes, I realize his model is sticking out, but given that he has no stat line, how would you know if you actually wound him?

Tynskel
09-20-2012, 07:59 AM
???
Obviously, this means that look out sir doesn't mean anything to tanks.

But that that does not negate the fact that he's still a character. The tank is still subject to character rules, where applicable.

Precision shot, are one of those rules.
Chronos is the same. He doesn't lose his character status while on board a tank. He's just an awesome GI Joe action figure, and can hop out of the tank later.

Bjorn is subject to almost all character rules, except look out sir, because he cannot take wounds. But he can still issue challenges, enact precision strikes and shots.

ilan.inglis
09-20-2012, 08:26 AM
unfortunately, the answer is actually no.

read the rules for both commanders. the tank can use the commanders BS. that's it. the character itself cannot shoot at all (unless dismounted after the tank got wrecked), so no precision shoots at all. However Bjorn can since he shoots and is a character.

Tynskel
09-20-2012, 10:41 AM
nope, this is a named character, and is therefore subject to the character rules. The Codex Rules are in addition to the Rulebook Rules. They are not in conflict with the Rulebook, thus, not replacing a Rulebook Rule.

ilan.inglis
09-20-2012, 12:59 PM
the tank is a named character? Pask is an upgrade. he has no stat line. the word character is not mentioned in his entry.

Dorsai
09-20-2012, 01:14 PM
He does have a name, yes, but he is purchased as a wargear option for a tank. How does that make him a character? I want to see the rule that says that you can affect crew or wargear through anything but crew shaken/stunned, weapon destroyed, or immobilized.

I'm at school right now so I'm away from my rulebook. When I get home, I will look in it and see if he has the CH designator in it. If not, then he is not a character. Again, since when is a wargear upgrade for a vehicle a character? He cannot get out of the vehicle. It states right in his entry that if his LR is destroyed, then he is lost as well. So he never is on the table except as a wargear option to give BS4 and a couple of special rules to ONE LR out of the entire army.

Dorsai
09-20-2012, 01:22 PM
If you really want proof that he can't be targeted, only his tank simply look in a Guard codex on pages 58 and 102. OPn page 102 is says that he may be purchased as an UPGRADE.

SeattleDV8
09-20-2012, 04:02 PM
BRB FAQ
Q: Do models classified as unique count as characters? (p63)
A: Yes, but not in the case of vehicles (with the exception of
Bjorn the Fell-handed).
Although Pask is a Character, his Tank does not get Precision Shot.
A. because the Tank is firing and not Pask (although with his BS)
and B. the FAQ above.

Turner
09-20-2012, 05:04 PM
Step 1:
(this one is hard)
READ THE RULES!

Step 2:
READ THE FAQs

Step 3:

Step 4:
Profit!

Well let's see what we have here:

Player 1

Step 1:
(this one is hard)
READ THE RULES!
Yep yep, ah huh ah huh

Step 2:
READ THE FAQs
Check

Step 3:

Step 4:
Profit!
Yes, Pask is a Character!

Player 2

Step 1:
(this one is hard)
READ THE RULES!
Yep yep, ah huh ah huh

Step 2:
READ THE FAQs
Check

Step 3:

Step 4:
Profit!
No, Pask is a Character!

Alright so this is a classic case of misinterpreting the rules.
To me I would see this as

Step 1:
To be a character you need the little "C" in the entry, or character.

Step 2:
Doesn't seem to be in the FAQ.

Step 3:

Step 4:
Doesn't seem to be a character, the rest of this seems to be irrelevant. Doesn't matter what the IG codex says fluff wise, (he's one bad mothe- Shut Yo Mouth!) or rules wise (the crew can use his BS of 4 when firing!) or whatever else we're trying to swing in our favor (he's an upgrade! No he's wargear! No it's a plane! Not it's a tank! No it's SUPERMA-)

Tynskel
09-20-2012, 05:23 PM
hmmm...

I need to follow my own advice...