PDA

View Full Version : Space Marines 1850 Tournament

Terminator
09-19-2012, 10:29 AM
My latest version of my Imperial Fists all-comers list. Trying to keep it fluffy and competitive. (Incidentally, the list would meet most composition scoring out there, which I think is kind of cool, although I don't care about comp that much.) I'm ignoring flyers until I can't win by smashing everything else on the table. I'm also taking Lysander until the codex gives me a better close combat beast in Terminator armor; I think it's unfortunate his rules aren't more built towards CC. Thanks for commenting!

HQ
Lysander 200

ELITE
5 Terminators - 5x Thunder Hammer/Storm Shield - Land Raider Godhammer (450)

TROOPS
10 Tactical Marines - Plasmagun/Plasma Cannon - Rhino (220)

FAST ATTACK
2 Attack Bikes - 2x Multi Melta (100)
2 Attack Bikes - 2x Multi Melta (100)

HEAVY SUPPORT
Vindicator - Dozer Blade (120)
Vindicator - Dozer Blade (120)
Thunderfire Cannon (100)

Seirin
09-19-2012, 10:56 AM
Really for 1850 you lack scoring units. A 4th tactical squad or even a cheap scout sniper squad would work fine.

Thunderfires are, IMO, too vulnerable to be useful. A single stray shot and 100pts of cannon down the drain. Would swap it for a 5-man unit of scout snipers with camo cloaks and missile.

Otherwise, fairly balanced. You'll lack fire support but everything is mobile and at least passing durable.

Terminator
09-19-2012, 11:23 AM
I think that's a fair assessment. I tend to run more annihilation type lists that tend to be a little lighter on troops. I dislike scouts as a matter of taste, but a 4th tactical would indeed be durable. It just feels like it lacks firepower. Any suggestions for what the list would look like?

Seirin
09-19-2012, 12:48 PM
Well, for the same price as your vindicators you can get a predator with autocannon/las sponsoons. I'd actually suggest it as vindicators do tend to die before they fire most of the time - and with how close quarters your army is, that template could have some backfire effect.

So maybe something like..

HQ
Lysander 200

Elite
5 TH/SS terminators 200 475
Dedicated: Land raider with multi melta and extra armour 275

Troops
10-tactical squad w/ plasma gun, plasma cannon, melta bombs and rhino 225 (x2, so 450)
10-tactical squad w/ melta gun, multi melta, melta bombs and rhino 215

Fast attack
Attack bike squadron - 3 bikes with multi meltas 150

Heavy support
Predator with autocannon and las sponsoons 120 (x2 so 240)
Vindicator with dozer blade 120

Still retain most of your close quarters umph but gain a lot of distance fire. Doesn't address your lack of scoring units but barring scouts that'd need 180+ points..

Terminator
09-19-2012, 01:13 PM
Thanks for the reply; I also enjoy Predators and find your list interesting. I've had success running Vindis as a pair, especially as a counterpoint to the Raider, which normally goes toward a different area. Can you comment on the melta squad? I'm unfamiliar with the tactics on how to use that unit as a tank hunter.

Seirin
09-19-2012, 01:16 PM
Sure. Rather than a 'tank hunter' unit, its a 'tank mop up' unit. Use it to hit stray vehicles but leave clusters and dug in tanks to your other weapons. Does that make sense? You don't want them to get too stuck in, but they rock at wasting singular vehicles.

Terminator
09-19-2012, 01:27 PM
I see that loadout a lot in various lists, it seems solid. I'll have to see how the TFC performs, it's definitely an untested unit for me. I'm counting on trying to take advantage of it's range and hopefully bolstering it in cover. It's nice that artillery is T7/W2/3+. Plus the enemy should have higher priority targets. If it can't hold up against my brother's railguns then I will have to scrap it.

Seirin
09-19-2012, 01:31 PM
Higher priority units aside, its a piss easy first blood target for anyone with any form of distance fire. 1 failed save and its all over on the techmarine himself.

Terminator
09-19-2012, 01:42 PM
Yes, but that's true of any vehicle also.

Seirin
09-19-2012, 01:54 PM
True, but theres a limit on what can kill vehicles with random pot shots. Not to be picky but a predator isn't being bolter'd to death unless you show your rear armour.