PDA

View Full Version : Games Workshop TV Spot

oni
10-04-2009, 09:08 PM
I'm having a hard time registering this one, but it's true. GW has a TV commercial.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGjOmNA_-Rc&feature=player_embedded

Brass Scorpion
10-04-2009, 09:21 PM
It is not the first time GW has had a TV ad. They filmed an ad at a store in Maryland, the Yorkridge store, a year or so ago and ran it here on television in a very limited way for a couple different store openings.

Drew da Destroya
10-04-2009, 09:56 PM
Man, I've seen local business with better production values...

I like that the "Get a free miniature" picture shows a Termi Chaplain and a Fire Prism... Anyone near the new store should go in and demand one!

Dosadi
10-05-2009, 06:36 AM
Man, I've seen local business with better production values...

I like that the "Get a free miniature" picture shows a Termi Chaplain and a Fire Prism... Anyone near the new store should go in and demand one!

*models may vary

As in, you get a free plastic snap-fit space marine.

I can't really fault this commercial. It's for the opening of a store. If it was for some nation-wide promotion I would expect some better production value. Hell, just play the opening video from Dawn of War and call it a day.

I give this thread about 5 more minutes before Melissia comes in and complains that there are no SoBs in the Commercial.:p

Dosadi

ChaosLord127
10-14-2009, 12:19 AM
Hell, just play the opening video from Dawn of War and call it a day.

Amen, that opening was amazing. This commercial was pretty funny. The WAAAGH! was my favorite part :P

Maxis Lithium
10-15-2009, 01:38 PM
As far as local store production, not total suck. Defiantly not a "corporate' commercial.

Aldramelech
10-16-2009, 11:55 PM
To my knowledge GW has never had a single TV advert in the UK.

Marshal2Crusaders
10-17-2009, 12:18 AM
I love the 'real gamers play face to face' thing. Suck it video gamers!!! I think it kind of alienates a large group of people you would want buying your stuff.

ColCorbane
10-17-2009, 01:39 AM
To my knowledge GW has never had a single TV advert in the UK.

They don't really need one in the UK.

Aldramelech
10-17-2009, 02:29 AM
They don't really need one in the UK.

Oh I dont know, they could infect the 25% of kids that dont play lol

TSINI
10-17-2009, 05:52 AM
I've seen the ad on UK tv, although we have sky so it could just have been one of the crossover channels.

and as far as the "free mini" my local swindon store has a huge pot of snap fit space marines assembled and undercoated. i'm guessing its part of a "paint your first mini and take it home scheme"

Slann
10-24-2009, 01:26 AM
For a local store commercial its fine , but it could have been less cheesy .

j-orge-287
10-28-2009, 11:02 AM
Not the most persuasive ad i've ever seen

Grabnutz
10-28-2009, 02:35 PM
Am I the only one who thinks the next frame at the end would be the two guys kissing?

GPrime
10-28-2009, 09:53 PM
Am I the only one who thinks the next frame at the end would be the two guys kissing?

An answer to be expected from a guy named 'Grabnutz' :D

Chaosgerbil
10-29-2009, 04:49 AM
O.
M.
G.

Too funny. Thankfully that was just a local ad.

Thank you for the gift of laughter.

Purple
10-29-2009, 04:58 AM
Maybe i might have worked 10 years ago but now i doubt it, although as you said it is a local ad. If it went national it shoudl have CGI etc...

Brass Scorpion
10-29-2009, 08:54 AM
All of GW's TV spots since they started running them occasionally a couple years ago are locally targeted. They never run them a lot and then only at times and on channels that keep the cost relatively low. Their budget for this is small, but to raise awareness of new store openings, limited TV spots have been part of the marketing strategy for a few years now.

When they ran spots on TV briefly in Maryland over the past couple years I was hoping to catch them, but the running times and choice of channels to run them on was so limited I never did see the ads at all.

What I have seen recently on the telly is that Games Workshop is mentioned as a participant in some sort of local job bank here in Maryland that's been advertising on television. GW is aggressively hiring new people all the time and training them at the HQ in Glen Burnie. They are opening new stores all over the US and a couple more are planned for Maryland in the near future, or so I've been told. Perhaps they should look to the Tudor Job Agency staffed by Michael Palin. Apparently they haven't filled a job since the 15th century. :)

oni
10-29-2009, 09:53 AM
GW's always aggressively hiring because they go through employee's as quick as a fast food franchise.

Brass Scorpion
10-29-2009, 10:02 AM
GW's always aggressively hiring because they go through employee's as quick as a fast food franchise.
That is unfortunately true. Being in close proximity to US HQ, I've seen dozens of hiring assessment centers and with plenty of GW stores around here, I've seen plenty of intrigue when it comes to lay-offs, hirings and firings. GW retail is a demanding job and the attrition rate is high, both from resignations and forced separations.

By the way and on a related topic, for anyone local to the Washington D.C./Baltimore area stores, the Olney GW store is getting a new manager. The current one has resigned. However, the good news is that the new guy is terrific. I talked to him several times while he was in training and I think he'll be great for the local community building effort and by extension, good for GW as well.

TheSpyderLord
11-10-2009, 08:27 PM
This video needs a wacky inflatable arm flailing tube man.

Kieranator K82
11-11-2009, 12:30 AM
This video needs a wacky inflatable arm flailing tube man.

Yeah they should get it from Al Harrington's.

I live in New Zealand, as you can see, and we've previously had GW ads on TV.
In fact, they aired around the time that the LotR range was introduced. NZ was a good target for the accompanying magazine series - Battle Games in Middle Earth - being the country the LotR films were made in. The commercials weren't half bad, but currently I don't have a link to the video. If I find it I'll post it here.

oni
11-13-2009, 09:24 AM
Yes, there are definitly not enough wacky waving inflatable arm flailing tube men in this commercial.

http://12.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_kovd1ffkwR1qzdqrto1_400.jpg