PDA

View Full Version : The extrs bitz pile

Lord of the Dead
09-13-2012, 04:31 PM
Hello all

as i am new to the world of 40k and my oile of bitz just keep piling up. I'm just wondering what you do with your extra bitz. I'm not a fan of selling them since I may have a use for them one day, or just building something new and different with them.

ElectricPaladin
09-13-2012, 04:35 PM
I have one of those plastic bins with a hinged lit and little sections. I sort them broadly - weapons, heads, bodies, arms, legs, vehicle structural bits, vehicle weapons bits, special units (ie. Kroot in one box, Tau fire warriors in another) - and then keep them forever. I often use them as little bits in other conversion parts - ie. a dreadnought's multi-melta made partly from an unusued flamestorm cannon - or in order to make new models on the cheap. For example, I was able to make almost an entire codex Space Marines army out of leftover bits unsuited to use with my Blood Angels assault army.

Rissan4ever
09-13-2012, 05:12 PM
That's right. Just put all those extra bitz in a Bitz Box. After a while, you'll have enough pieces to put together some bizarre and horrific Frankensteinesque creations.

JxKxR
09-13-2012, 05:49 PM
I kinda just stare at them until a conversion idea pops into my head.

plasticaddict
09-13-2012, 07:37 PM
I dump all of mine into a big box next to the work table, then when I have an idea, I dig through the big box. I find it really fun and relaxing to dig through the bitz box and I often find cool little things I had forgotten about that help spark the conversions further.

lobster-overlord
09-13-2012, 07:55 PM
most every 40k player has one. Bring them with you to games and you'll find that people will treasure your trash and you-theirs.

John M>

Psychosplodge
09-14-2012, 02:22 AM
I have a box, and when I want something, I empty it on the floor and have a good root through it.

Wolfshade
09-14-2012, 02:24 AM
The last time I did a raid on my bitz box I ended up making a devastator squad from bitz

Herzlos
09-14-2012, 02:29 AM
I've started using the bits to make more interesting bases. The occasional discarded lasgun or tank part (or limb!) should add a bit of character.

DrLove42
09-14-2012, 02:57 AM
Every different army goes into a different big FW bag. The more special bits (like heads, and special weapons) go into a smaller bag inside that, then they all go into the box of the very first battleforce box i bought (also my 1st 40k purchase) to keep them in one place

isotope99
09-14-2012, 02:59 AM
Keep a Rhino box, or similar size, for each army you have and dump the bits in there would be my suggestion. Small enough to root through, but not so fiddly that it becomes a chore.

The key thing is to balance getting things off the sprues so they don't take up too much space versus finding them again later. Generally I'd say when a sprue is more than half empty (or less than half full depending on your personality) it is time to strip it down.

Denzark
09-14-2012, 03:48 AM
http://s797.photobucket.com/albums/yy257/denzark/?action=view&current=63803.jpg

Psychosplodge
09-14-2012, 03:57 AM
http://s797.photobucket.com/albums/yy257/denzark/?action=view¤t=63803.jpg

But that looks akin to some sort of organisation, where's the fun in that?

Col.Gravis
09-14-2012, 04:00 AM
Keeping some sort of order is good for bitz, I've got an old Tau army box I use for tank bits, and various tool boxes for infantry bits seperateing weapons, heads, arms etc etc so its actually possible to find the bit your looking for without tipping it all out (which granted is great fun!).

Psychosplodge
09-14-2012, 04:06 AM
Mine goes along two lines WH40K bitz or Chaos Warrior bitz and that's it :D

Mud Duck
09-16-2012, 05:03 PM
Mine goes along two lines WH40K bitz or Chaos Warrior bitz and that's it :D

Now that sounds like some type of organization. :D

I on the other hand have something similar to Denzark's drawer thing, that I try to organize in to some sort of organization, but get side tracked by a cool conversion idea, toss the rest into any available drawer and or box and move out from there.

Psychosplodge
09-17-2012, 02:02 AM
Well technically it's wh40k and wh but I only have chaos warriors for wh lol

olberon
09-17-2012, 03:46 AM
i just chuck em in a box with seperators in it, if the box is full i dump the whole box in a rather large cardboard box (the archive) and store it in my closet. when ever i need a bit ill just go bit hunting with th family :D

Death-Monkey
09-17-2012, 08:10 AM
Does anyone else struggle to go through a frame to clip the bits off? Or am just remarkably lazy! Of course this does mean that my bit box is more of a loft shambles, but I like to think that I can find anything I need easier if I can just locate the right sprue.