PDA

View Full Version : Pork Shortage Imminent

Wolfshade
09-13-2012, 08:31 AM
Global pork shortage warning!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/0/19558714

So with porkageddon approaching what will replace the bacon, sausage, egg, black pudding, tomato, hash brown and mushroom sandwich?

DrLove42
09-13-2012, 08:35 AM
It surprises me that pork is the most eaten meat. I always assumed it was chicken.

Well there's always vegetarian sausages.....i almost managed to type that with a straight face. Damn those things make me sick

Could just eat Vegetarians...

Wolfshade
09-13-2012, 08:41 AM
There is one thing though, in the UK there are certain conditions that pigs have to be kept in, it is the equivalent to being free range. However, the Danish pigs (and thus Danish pork/bacon) are kept at a substantially lower quality, which means that Danish pork is much cheaper. The UK government tried to ban the Danish pork because of the way that they kept their pigs was below UK standards, but because Denmark is in the EU (or EEC, or both) the common market European law means that the UK must accept their goods.

Psychosplodge
09-13-2012, 08:52 AM
But the humble bacon and sausage butty can't be replaced.

Also how can we eat vegetarians when there's never any meat on them cause they're half starved looking things?

Wolfshade
09-13-2012, 08:59 AM
I don't know I know of two vegans, both of whom would be at best obese, if not very obese.

Psychosplodge
09-13-2012, 09:02 AM
That's equally unappetising...and how?

lobster-overlord
09-13-2012, 12:34 PM
I heard a radio report a few years back about what the top foods in the US have been over the past 100 years, decade by decade, and at no. 1 every decade was the same thing. The ham sandwich.

So, this does not surprise me in th least.

John M>

Mr Mystery
09-13-2012, 01:15 PM
Touch my bacons and you die.

Work's local Subway is halal. Turkey sausage, whilst far from inedible just isn't the same!

Deadlift
09-13-2012, 01:38 PM
God damn it, I love pork and I love pigs. Protein rich and the only bit
You can't eat is the oink.

Sunday mornings aren't the same without sausages and bacon. Mind you I only eat British
Pork. I have seen how the Danes treat their pigs. It's disgusting. I am a firm believer that if your going to farm animals for food, then they have to be treated with care and respect before they end up on my plate. Even chickens despite them being foul tempered little ****s.

With me being a country boy, down in Devon there are plenty of local farms that sell though their own shop. I don't think I will be experiencing a pork shortage just yet :)

Psychosplodge
09-14-2012, 01:35 AM
Work's local Subway is halal. Turkey sausage, whilst far from inedible just isn't the same!

That sounds like a crime against humanity.

God damn it, I love pork and I love pigs. Protein rich and the only bit
You can't eat is the oink.

Sunday mornings aren't the same without sausages and bacon. Mind you I only eat British
Pork. I have seen how the Danes treat their pigs. It's disgusting. I am a firm believer that if your going to farm animals for food, then they have to be treated with care and respect before they end up on my plate. Even chickens despite them being foul tempered little ****s.

With me being a country boy, down in Devon there are plenty of local farms that sell though their own shop. I don't think I will be experiencing a pork shortage just yet :)
I don't think we'll suffer a pork shortage, they breed plenty of round the stadium of rust (http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/46229000/jpg/_46229890_hillboro_wide.jpg)

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
09-14-2012, 01:51 AM
What will Wolfie do without the lovely meat in his mouth that he craves?

Wolfshade
09-14-2012, 02:05 AM
Work's local Subway is halal.
I am opposed to halal and kosher meat, I find the whole idea of making the animal bleed to death repugnant, far better to stun and break necks.

What will Wolfie do without the lovely meat in his mouth that he craves?
I understand that one of the local chippies near me does mysterymeat/roadkill kebabs, my friend swears that he had alsatian last time.

I might have to migrate to pigeon

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
09-14-2012, 02:08 AM
Swing and a miss.

Psychosplodge
09-14-2012, 02:12 AM
I am opposed to halal and kosher meat, I find the whole idea of making the animal bleed to death repugnant, far better to stun and break necks.
It's not exactly humane

I understand that one of the local chippies near me does mysterymeat/roadkill kebabs, my friend swears that he had alsatian last time.

I might have to migrate to pigeon

I know someone who found a microchip in their curry, and they know what they look like as they're trained to insert them...

Wolfshade
09-14-2012, 02:13 AM
Swing and a miss.

I saw what you were trying to do, Bad Tizzy!

Psychosplodge
09-14-2012, 02:16 AM
Well, if he will throw no-balls...but rounders is a girls game afterall...

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
09-14-2012, 02:17 AM
Nope.avi

Psychosplodge
09-14-2012, 08:30 AM
https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/s480x480/644177_282281031877394_1886720668_n.jpg

eldargal
09-14-2012, 08:32 AM
Sucks for people who don't keep pigs. Lern2keeppigs.

Psychosplodge
09-14-2012, 08:33 AM
I can't eat pets, anything I kept would become a pet :p

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
09-14-2012, 08:47 AM
Wow, I can imagine a flatshare with you Psycho. :p

DrLove42
09-14-2012, 08:48 AM
Dale already lives with a pig.

Heyo!

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
09-14-2012, 08:49 AM
WWWWWWWWWWOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAH!!

Nice burn Doc. :p

Wolfshade
09-14-2012, 08:52 AM
An associate of mine keeps pigs, erm old spot? he now only eats his own pigs

Psychosplodge
09-14-2012, 10:51 AM
Wow, I can imagine a flatshare with you Psycho. :p

I had nine animals when I lived in a student house, some may say this was too much...

Vermis
09-15-2012, 01:26 PM
There is one thing though, in the UK there are certain conditions that pigs have to be kept in, it is the equivalent to being free range.

Mind you I only eat British
Pork.

Not to be an arse, and TBH I don't know exactly what pork you two are buying; but 'british pork' sometimes isn't a huge improvement over danish/EC, and the minimum requirements here are a far cry from 'free range'.
I got Hugh Fearnley-Doublebarrel's meat book last year, and along with his telly shows it's put me off buying intensively-farmed pork and poultry. (I guess that artificially cheap meat is a factor in considering the bacon butty a staple, and in whatever panic's going on to start this topic) I even feel a bit guilty buying just outdoor-bred ham. If you want to feel a bit more guilty too, I'd recommend going over to the River Cottage site for a look. :p

It's not often easy to find better-welfare pork and bacon round here, even in the big supermarkets (and Sainsburys outdoor-reared bacon costs a bomb) but there's a farm shop I visit to stock up the freezer, with their own free range saddlebacks and old spots (not to mention longhorn beef!). Takes a while to drive there and the sausages are a bit more expensive; but they're 'uge and the best I've tasted. No exaggeration.

Edit:

British consumers may love their cooked breakfasts and bacon butties, but will they be willing to fork out extra for their pork?

"Those who were willing to pay would still be able to get it, but some may find it more difficult," says Stephen Howarth.

"It will be interesting to see how they react."

While rising prices would see some shoppers struggling to keep cooking with costly meat, the NPA is urging people to support British farmers by buying Red Tractor logo pork products, even if it means paying a bit extra.

See, that's what I'm talking about. Thinking that cheap (and even Red Tractor (http://www.rivercottage.net/forum/debate/food-matters/supermarkets-pork-buying-practices/)) pork is all perfectly normal and hunky-dory in the first place.

Deadlift
09-15-2012, 03:53 PM
Not to be an arse, and TBH I don't know exactly what pork you two are buying; but 'british pork' sometimes isn't a huge improvement over danish/EC, and the minimum requirements here are a far cry from 'free range'.
I got Hugh Fearnley-Doublebarrel's meat book last year, and along with his telly shows it's put me off buying intensively-farmed pork and poultry. (I guess that artificially cheap meat is a factor in considering the bacon butty a staple, and in whatever panic's going on to start this topic) I even feel a bit guilty buying just outdoor-bred ham. If you want to feel a bit more guilty too, I'd recommend going over to the River Cottage site for a look. :p

It's not often easy to find better-welfare pork and bacon round here, even in the big supermarkets (and Sainsburys outdoor-reared bacon costs a bomb) but there's a farm shop I visit to stock up the freezer, with their own free range saddlebacks and old spots (not to mention longhorn beef!). Takes a while to drive there and the sausages are a bit more expensive; but they're 'uge and the best I've tasted. No exaggeration.

Edit:

See, that's what I'm talking about. Thinking that cheap (and even Red Tractor (http://www.rivercottage.net/forum/debate/food-matters/supermarkets-pork-buying-practices/)) pork is all perfectly normal and hunky-dory in the first place.

I buy from my local farm, occombe farm (when the budget allows). Bar actually picking out your own pig, you can't get much closer to the trotters. They're free range as they come.

I bought "meat" a few years back and it's a brilliant book. HFW knows his stuff and I have tried so many "cheaper" cuts of meat which 5 years ago I wouldn't have.
I did do a double take on page 314 at the recipe for mole, before realising its a take on a Mexican dish using pork chops and not actual moles.

eldargal
09-16-2012, 02:12 AM
Some of the old British pig breeds produce some of the best pork in the world, Wessex Saddleback, Gloucester Old Spot, Berkshire etc. They tend to be slow growing so that makes the meat tastier, not sure how it works.:rolleyes:

tawelwch
09-16-2012, 04:26 AM
One more good reason not to eat meat ;)

Build
09-16-2012, 05:11 AM
Finally!

A reason to be happy living on a small island with loads of locally produced bacony goodness!

My dad is a retired doctor and so keeping pigs was logically the next step, they live in a valley and the bacon off the pigs is brown in colour and tastes so good I thought my head was going to invert the first time I ate it.

eldargal
09-16-2012, 06:16 AM
The only reason to stop eating meat is if the only meat available is American bacon.

One more good reason not to eat meat ;)

Mr Mystery
09-16-2012, 06:25 AM
Or when you realise it's your own arm.

tawelwch
09-16-2012, 09:58 AM
The only reason to stop eating meat is if the only meat available is American bacon.

If you ignore cost, cruelty, environmental damage and your own health that might be the only reason.

Build
09-16-2012, 10:44 AM
If you ignore cost, cruelty, environmental damage and your own health that might be the only reason.

Makes me glad I'm in the channel islands, none of those are an issue as pretty much all meat is locally sourced, meat is reasonably priced, humanely killed and I eat about a kilo of meat a day without any ill affects.

Deadlift
09-16-2012, 11:27 AM
All round yours then ? I will bring the HP:)

Deadlift
09-16-2012, 11:32 AM

I don't know, slapped on some nice fluffy pancakes, slathered with maple syrup and a dollop of ice-cream. North American bacon can't be all bad. Saying that I only had the Canadian
Variety.

Build
09-16-2012, 01:44 PM

You could try, but I can assure you there is no pork left in the house at the moment, just finished an awesome roast. C:

Mr Mystery
09-16-2012, 01:52 PM
I don't know, slapped on some nice fluffy pancakes, slathered with maple syrup and a dollop of ice-cream. North American bacon can't be all bad. Saying that I only had the Canadian
Variety.

Bleurgh

Proper Bacon, fresh white bread, smattering of butter, HP. Only way.

Deadlift
09-16-2012, 02:08 PM
Crackling too ?

Deadlift
09-16-2012, 02:09 PM
Lol, don't get me wrong I love a good bacon sarnie too, obviously by my interest in this thread I just love food. Diet starts next week. It's going to be hard :(

eldargal
09-16-2012, 10:59 PM
What cost, exactly? We feed them on kitchen waste and other vegetable waste from other activities on our property. Doesn't cost us much at all. We are animals eating other animals as nature intended, that isn't cruelty, it is nature and our pigs are humanely killed. As for environmental damage, again, nil and my health is perfectly fine thank you. Unlike the majority of vegans and vegetarians who have to take vitamin supplements to maintain their health.:rolleyes:

Pigs are actually the most environmentally sound edible animals. They turn inedible, poor quality organic waste into high quality food for human consumption. There is a reason every family that could afford it in medieval europe and China had a family pig long before modern industrial scale farming came on the scene.

Amusing anecdote: When I was studying the archaeology of human evolution at university we had a guest seminar hosted by one of the worlds leading experts on the subject. When they got onto discussing the role our omnivorous stomaches played in our evolution many of the vegetarians and vegans in the audience started voicing their outrage and contradicting them. It was a joy watching their ideological nonsense be shot down by the cold hard application of Reality.:rolleyes:

I don't have a problem with people choosing not to eat meat for whatever reason, I do get cranky when they start forgetting it is a lifestyle choice and trying to impose it on the rest of us.

I'll leave the subject with one of my favourite pictures:
http://urlybits.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/No-Such-Thing-As-A-Vegan.jpg

Build
09-17-2012, 12:44 AM
+1 to everything Eldargal said and I think I love you for that photo...

Anyways...

Other fun facts to add include, red meat does not cause colon cancer, incinerated meat does, as too many people overcook their food. Also vegetarian intestines tend to be about 3 meters longer, not something I consider healthy.

I have a RHR of about 44 beats a minute and a blood pressure of about 110/58.

I know a few veggies and vegans in the local climbing club, I have no problem with it, it's a life style choice, but preachy veggies get on my nerves.

@deadlift, not a crackling fan, but my sister and mum fought rather a bloody battle over it with my father.

Wolfshade
09-17-2012, 01:30 AM

Since it is no longer produced in Aston, there is no point to buying HP.
Go for Henderson's Relish ;)

Psychosplodge
09-17-2012, 01:58 AM
Hendersons relish is epic, and it's vegetarian friendly so even tree huggers can enjoy it :D

I don't know about anyone else but if I go for more than a couple of days without meat I feel lethargic. I genuinely feel healthiest when I basicly live on bbq for a week at a time at festivals.

http://www.beaverandsteve.com/wiki/images/4/45/82_8.png

Wolfshade
09-17-2012, 02:44 AM
I BBQ each Sunday evening :)
Recently I have discovered the joys of red meat + maple syrup

Deadlift
09-17-2012, 02:50 AM
Every Christmas I baste my turkey with a butter and maple syrup concoction I discovered in a nigella lawson
Book. It's nearly as tasty as her. :)

Wolfshade
09-17-2012, 03:20 AM
I have recently discovered the joys of pigs in blanket with a honey and whole grain mustard glaze

Deadlift
09-17-2012, 04:11 AM
I have recently discovered the joys of pigs in blanket with a honey and whole grain mustard glaze

Chuck in some parsnips too. Lovely :)

We need a foodie page for forums lol

Wolfshade
09-17-2012, 04:40 AM
There was once a thread dedicated to food while gaming, but that had mixed reactions, mainly I eat crisps and drink pop, and then chargin you can go 2 hours without eating, I'm not having greasy fingers touching my models.

One thing I am interested to do, my new barbeque can be used as a smoker, so I'm interested to use that some time

Psychosplodge
09-18-2012, 04:05 AM
http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m99e29ti041rby7x1o1_500.jpg

-Bacon "the meat of life."

Wolfshade
09-18-2012, 04:10 AM
It's ok we can buy illegal meet in Hackney

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-19622903

Psychosplodge
09-18-2012, 04:13 AM
but what does rat taste like?

I know John Spartan looks like he enjoys his rat burger...

Wolfshade
09-18-2012, 04:38 AM
Disappointment and poverty

Psychosplodge
09-18-2012, 04:49 AM
http://s18.postimage.org/gfszdmcop/bouffe2_001.jpg

2810 <== so you can look if ^ blocked

Wolfshade
09-18-2012, 04:54 AM
^ was blocked, thanks for the link :)

Wolfshade
09-28-2012, 05:26 AM