PDA

View Full Version : "The Guardian Star" - Emperor-Class Battleship

ElectricPaladin
09-13-2012, 12:22 AM
As you may have noticed, I've decided to dip my toes into Battlefleet Gothic. I've recently finished my first ship: The Guardian Star, an Emperor-Class Battleship, flagship of Admiral Caspian Sollux and the centerpiece of my growing fleet. I would love questions and comments. In particular, I find myself not quite sure that the model is actually done. Whenever I'm away from her, I worry that the simple two-tone scheme is boring, that the blue body requires more detail, more color. Whenever I see her, I'm convinced that she's perfect. I'm hoping that by taking these pictures - so I can stare at her all day, rather than leaving to go to work - I can come to a decision.

I'm also hoping that you can help me decide.

Or just tell me I'm awesome - that's always an option.

Without further ado:

Ready broadsides!

Full speed ahead!

Dat engine array...

A tarnished angel, head unbowed, will unbroken.

Closeup of the weapons and launch bays.

So... what do you think?

JamesP
09-13-2012, 02:20 AM
I think it looks good. Most Imperial BFG ships end up in a two-tone scheme, one colour for the hull and another for the engines/ weapons etc. You can do the prow in a third colour but that's difficult with an Emperor as all of its prow sensors etc. tend to obscure that new colour.

If you really want to, you could try adding a bit more detailing. Perhaps do the weapon batteries (broadsides and prow) in a different colour to the tarnished gold you've used (which I think looks fantastic on the angel statue and prow BTW). Add some running lights, paint the odd panel of the hull in a much darker or lighter colour etc.

I'm no great painter (and my Ork ships are much better than my Imperials) but - if I've attached them right - these photos should show a scratch-built cruiser in a dark blue similar to yours. Like you, I loved the two tone scheme but eventually re-did some of the gold bits in silver and added some different hull panels, running lights etc. The other Imperial ships are a friend's, in a light blue with dark blue prow scheme that looks very good.

Chris*ta
09-13-2012, 02:51 AM
I feel like it could use a spot colour.

My first thought is a light red colour on some of the small dot like details that repeat down the side of the ship near the top, but won't swear to it.

I just think it needs a little more detailing to show people that it's definitely finished.

Overall, though, it's looking great.

ElectricPaladin
09-13-2012, 09:18 AM
I feel like it could use a spot colour.

My first thought is a light red colour on some of the small dot like details that repeat down the side of the ship near the top, but won't swear to it.

I just think it needs a little more detailing to show people that it's definitely finished.

Overall, though, it's looking great.

I was just looking at the pictures I posted, and I think you're absolutely right. It doesn't need much. Little red running lights, though, will break up the blue a little and make the whole model pop just a little more. I think I'll use the Mephiston Red base and my tiniest brush.

I'll post pictures when I've done it.

fuzzbuket
09-14-2012, 12:27 AM
not bad :D i really like the weathered gold!