PDA

View Full Version : Blood Angels 1.5k - In Light of 6th Edition

ElectricPaladin
09-11-2012, 04:48 PM
Here's a list I've cooked up based on my the conversation in my other thread about playing Blood Angels in 6th Edition (http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?24398-Blood-Angels-in-6th-Edition). I'd love your input.

HQ
• Reclusiarch w/Jump Pack

Troops
• 5 Death Company (Jump) w/1 Hand Flamer, 1 Power Fist
• 10 Assault Marines (Jump) w/2 Meltaguns, Sergeant w/Power Fist
• 5 Assault Marines (Foot) w/1 Flamer, Sergeant w/Power Weapon/Hand Flamer in a Razorback w/Heavy Bolters
• 5 Assault Marines (Foot) w/1 Flamer, Sergeant w/Power Weapon/Hand Flamer in a Razorback w/Heavy Bolters

Fast Attack
• Baal Predator (Dakka)

Heavy Support
• 5 Devastators w/2 Missile Launchers, 2 Lascannons, Sergeant w/Power Weapon
• Stormraven w/Multi-Meltas & Assault Cannons

I think this would be a surprisingly shooty list. The jump marines are, essentially, a smokescreen. They will probably drop defensively, looking for the opportunity to unexpectedly claim unprotected objectives deep in enemy territory, though they have meltaguns and can drop more aggressively if need be. Combat squadding off a small group containing the power fist sergeant and two meltagunners could be a good strategy for this. On the off chance that I plan to actually use the assault marines in assault, I'd probably deploy them behind blocking terrain in some attractive part of the board and have them wait for a target to stumble withint charge range.

The other role for the assault marines are as a counterpart to the death company, since the two units can drop in such a way that one screens the other from shooting or from having to take an assault that they would rather give.

The melee hammer is the death company and reclusiarch. Despite its size, I think (hope) that this is a unit that can deliver a punch: 23 attacks, rerolling to-hits and to-wounds - 28 attacks on the charge, +1 strength on the first round of combat, and six hammer of wrath hits - is pretty hot.

The only thing that worries me about this list is that since I'm mostly using my jump infantry tactically, rather than directly, this list's offensive punch comes from its shooting. Most of my serious shooting here comes from a stormraven, a Baal predator, three razorbacks (to heavy bolter, one lascannon), and some las/missile devastators. Altogether, that's one multi-melta (twin-linked), two heavy bolters (twin-linked), two assault cannons (twin-linked), two missile launchers, three lascannons (one twin-linked). I see a bias towards accuracy and strength over volume of fire and proliferation of platforms, and given how fragile vehicles are - and even how fragile marines can be, when targeted by the right weapons - that worries me.

So, what do you think? How do you think this list will do? How well do you think it will do at adapting to the ins and outs of 6th Edition?

Addendum:

Another option would be to replace my reclusiarch and death company with a jump librarian, five vanguard vets with power weapons, dual lightning claws and meltabombs on the sergeant. This list gives me the advantage of a second fast attack unit, which is useful since fast attack units are scoring in one of the new missions. More power weapons - and yes, some will be axes and some swords - is never a bad thing. The ability of vanguard veterans to change the tempo of a jump list is invaluable. I could see them dropping and charging a target, holding them down and acting as an anvil to the assault marines' hammer.

In this case, I'd put the librarian with the assault marines.

I like this because 1) it lets me filed a librarian, which is a great HQ in general and 2) it gives me a little more drop-and-melee punch, which is part of what drew me to Blood Angels in the first place. Unfortunately, that punch is a little pillowier than that offered by the death company, so I'm uncertain.

Seirin
09-11-2012, 07:56 PM
Hey EP.

Only qualm with jump librarians is how fragile they are. If you're taking one, make sure the unit can erase its target in one~two rounds to keep him safe. As for the vanguards - just so you know, if an IC joins, they can't use the special deep strike.

Would perhaps swap the raven's armaments if its playing fire support and not transport. Atm you need to get close. Even as a flier that's not always safe, swap to plasma/lascannons and sit back?

Devastators generally work best with a uniform armament from my experience. Could consider 4x plasma? Less anti-armour but lots more anti-infantry/terminator shooting, and give the baal multi-meltas?

Am a fan of death company, but..costly.

ElectricPaladin
09-11-2012, 08:24 PM
Only qualm with jump librarians is how fragile they are. If you're taking one, make sure the unit can erase its target in one~two rounds to keep him safe. As for the vanguards - just so you know, if an IC joins, they can't use the special deep strike.

Hense the librarian joining the assault squad in that version.

Would perhaps swap the raven's armaments if its playing fire support and not transport. Atm you need to get close. Even as a flier that's not always safe, swap to plasma/lascannons and sit back?

I imagine the Baal mostly using its meltas to shoot down other fliers. Since it's immune to melta itself (thanks, ceramite plating!) I don't care much if my target can melta back.

Devastators generally work best with a uniform armament from my experience. Could consider 4x plasma? Less anti-armour but lots more anti-infantry/terminator shooting, and give the baal multi-meltas?

Hm. Interesting possibility. I'll experiment with that.

Seirin
09-11-2012, 08:57 PM
Ceramite plating or no, its still a fact that @12" regular meltas enter play, and more S8 hits is still bad, 2D6 pen or no.

Lol ok my bad with the vanguard :D just making sure.

Angelofblades
09-13-2012, 02:46 PM
I don't know about you, but I've had ridiculous fun and success using a Divination terminator librarian (sometimes w/ SS, sometimes not) on foot with a plas/ combi-plas sgt/ ML tactical squad. They're a great anchor unit, and with a nearby Sanguinary Priest, you can use the Librarian to 2+ sv tank for the unit (slightly risky yes, but the pay off is worth more than the risk imho).

6e has not been very forgiving on razorback assault squads imho, so I've simply dumped them and resorted to the 10 man jump squad w/ MG's and Power Maul sgt to DS DoA combat squad and melt rear support vehicles. 2 melta shots w/ 2 krak grenade throws. Really works wonders against those haughty Tau who think their Hammerheads are safe behind Disruption pods combo'd w/ jink. Next turn, if you've survived, assault the transports, now the Sgt has 4 S6 (S7 w/ FC) attacks w/ concussion.

I would suggest swapping the Baal pred for a Vindicator. Same points iirc, but considering the boost this edition has given to blast weapons (no more 1/2 S blasts, its now all full S blasts) why not?