PDA

View Full Version : 1st Codex Marines list--1500 points, looking for opinions

Kevin48220
09-10-2012, 06:36 AM
Here's my first attempt at an army list. It's intended partly as a way for me to start really learning the rules and how the units work, since I've only played a couple of demo games with the AOBR units to date. I was looking to build something fairly basic and flexible (i.e., not too much shooting, not too much CC, etc.). Here's the list, which weighs in at 1497 points and is now called "Task Force Goldilocks":

-----------------------------
HQ

Chaplain with Jump Pack & Power Fist (130 pts)

Elites

6 x Terminators w/cyclone missile launcher (270 pts)
Dreadnought (base model, 105 pts)

Troops

7 x Scouts (4 snipers, 2 w/bolters; sgt has bolter; all have camo cloaks 122 pts)
10 x Tactical Marines (Melta, Missile Launcher; sgt has chainsword, 175 pts)

Fast Attack

10 x Assault Marines (Sgt has Power Fist & Melta Bombs, 220 pts)

Heavy Support

Predator Tank w/twin-linked lascannons & sponson-mounted heavy bolters (130 pts)

Fortification

Aegis Defense Line w/Quad Gun (100 pts)

Transports

2 x Rhinos for tactical squads (base models, 70 pts for the pair)

-------------------------------------

I think the two melta guns and the Predator should beef up the anti-vehicle element of the list, and putting the Chaplain with the Assault Squad will make a bit more sense (given his special rules). The camo cloaks were added to give the scouts a bit of additional cover since they'll be largely stationary (sniping and manning the Quad Cannon).

Opinions are welcome!

Chumbalaya
09-10-2012, 08:21 AM
Chaplain with Jump Pack & Power Fist (130 pts)
No. Vanilla jumpers simply do not have the oomph to be worth their cost. If you want to stack S4 hits on something, just use your bolters. A Librarian gives you a lot of flexibility with his powers for a bargain basement cost.

6 x Terminators w/cyclone missile launcher (270 pts)
Not bad for a midfield control firepower unit. If points allow, going up to 10 with 2 cyclones would be great, especially with a Terminator Librarian sporting a Storm Shield or Lysander.

Dreadnought (base model, 105 pts)
Not a bad choice, cheap and fairly versatile. I like the "Rifleman" set up with 2 sets of twin-linked autocannons. Fairly cheap and quite good at downing light armor and flyers.

7 x Scouts (4 snipers, 2 w/bolters; sgt has bolter; all have camo cloaks 122 pts)
5 is plenty for objective campers.

Tacticals typically want to advance to midfield and control it. Missiles aren't so hot as single weapons, they work best in numbers. I'd go for a multi-melta and flamer, so you can effectively control the midfield. MM can snapfire for kicks, and when it hits it will be impressive. Set it up at midfield and any armor will be leery of getting close. Set up your Sergeant with a combi-flamer as well and you can torch enemy infantry to secure objectives or discourage charges. Tack on melta bombs just for insurance. Combat weapons are an option, but fairly pricey on a model with less than impressive stats. You can just use combat tactics to flee combat anyway. I'd do this for both units.

10 x Assault Marines (Sgt has Power Fist & Melta Bombs, 220 pts)
Pass. Too pricey for an underwhelming charge.

Predator Tank w/twin-linked lascannons & sponson-mounted heavy bolters (130 pts)
Not bad by any stretch, though I prefer the autocannon and lascannon set up. You can post in the back and snipe armor, or advance and still enjoy somewhat reliable firepower.

Aegis Defense Line w/Quad Gun (100 pts)

Meh. Cover is easy enough to get for marines and the quad gun is too easy to snipe down to make for effective flyer defense.

2 x Rhinos for tactical squads (base models, 70 pts for the pair)
Nothing wrong here.

The core list is ok, but the add-ons could use some consideration. Vanilla marines typically want to control midfield with shooting and something like Terminators to discourage assaults.

You could end up with something like this:

Librarian w/ Terminator Armor, Storm Shield
5 Terminators w/ hammers and storm shield
2 Rifleman Dreads
2 Tac Squads w/ multi-melta, flamer, combi-flamer, melta bombs, Rhino
5 Scouts w/ camo cloaks
2 Predators w/ autocannon, lascannon sponsons
Vindicator

Your Dreads and Predators provide serious backline firepower while your Tacticals, Vindicator and Terminators advance to control midfield. All those templates and the threat of Hammernators can discourage assaults while your firepower can effectively control the board. If you really like midfield control, upgrade to 2 Vindicators for serious control over midfield.

Seirin
09-10-2012, 10:01 AM
If your goal is learning the rules, swap the chaplain for a librarian - it adds psychic powers and psychic defense to what you'll need to learn, and it's generally better. Use 'divination' rule book power 'prescience'. You'll love it.

Chumbalaya had a few good points, especially about the assault marines and tactical squads. Assault marines aren't strong enough on regular marines, and vanguard marines are too costly. Swap them out for a trio of land speeders and save some points. For tacticals, try to get their weapons in 'sync' - long ranged with long ranged, or vice-versa. So melta/multi melta or plasma/missile launcher work (melta/MM is my pick, its cheapest for effect).

A few extra scouts is fine, but give them all sniper rifles - its how they contribute really.

Predators are good, but decide what you want it for because atm it's trying to be a jack-of-all-trades and failing. Twin linked lascannons are over costed for the effect. Anti infantry, go autocannon/heavy bolter. Anti armour go autocannon/lascannon sponsoons. Two sponsoons beats 1 twin linked weapon, and its cheaper. Then you get the 2 S7 shots as well, and still have a respectable number of high power shots for elite infantry.

Twin linked autocannon dreadnoughts are the premise of grey knights for a reason - psybolt ammo. Without it, 'rifle man dreads' lose a lot of their power compared to other options. Stick to the basic dread and be happy.

Basic terminators are good, but as you're otherwise lacking a dedicated combat unit consider swapping them for 6 assault terminators with thunder hammers and storm shields then putting a librarian with terminator armour and storm shield in with them. It'll not die, practically whatever your opponent throws at it. And if/when it reaches combat it'll smash stuff.

Try to find points for a missile on the scouts. They don't want to move anyway so its another missile for your glory. Lol.

Kevin48220
09-10-2012, 08:13 PM
Thanks very much for the replies.

I'm actually dropping one Terminator to give me enough points to run 2 predators with the autocannon/heavy bolters combo. I'm considering switching the Chaplain for a Librarian, after seeing the points you made, so thanks again for the discussion of that. As for the assault marines, I'm going to use them once and see how they play out. I'm hoping that the Chaplain's special rules will give them a boost on the assault, and I'm going to run a Storm Shield/Power Maul on the Sergeant.

Seirin
09-10-2012, 09:38 PM
The reason I'd suggest a librarian is so they can use 'prescience', a psychic power that allows the unit to re-roll any failed 'to hit' rolls. The same as a chaplain's first turn combat rule, but all the time, and applies to shooting (assuming you don't fail the test).

Kevin48220
09-11-2012, 07:01 AM
The reason I'd suggest a librarian is so they can use 'prescience', a psychic power that allows the unit to re-roll any failed 'to hit' rolls. The same as a chaplain's first turn combat rule, but all the time, and applies to shooting (assuming you don't fail the test).

Yum.