PDA

View Full Version : Finecast Sternguard Weapon Pack - Yeesh.

MaltonNecromancer
09-07-2012, 01:11 PM
http://www.games-workshop.com/MEDIA_CustomProductCatalog/m2580058a_99800101098_SternguardWeaponsRES01_873x6 27.jpg

So these are the new Finecast pack of weapons for Sternguard, and they are shockingly bad. The lines are off, which is outrageous considering the combi-melta and heavy bolter are simply copies of pre-existing plastic bitz. As for the other combi weapons, they look like really weak rip-offs by a third party, and the lightning claws have blades that are clearly wonky in the publicity photo!

AND WHAT IS UP WITH THAT COMBI FLAMER?!

Seriously, who okayed these shoddy, lazy sculpts, and who okayed the publicity photo? Totally unprofessional.

Rev. Tiberius Jackhammer
09-07-2012, 01:19 PM
Eh, definitelyyyy not worth the price. Not sure why the lightning claws are included in a shooty-focused pack, either. GW's thing is making pricey products that are worth the price, but this one's only got the "pricey" part down :P

Cpt Codpiece
09-07-2012, 01:42 PM
yeah these are poo.

why shell out for this crap? any compitent modeller who wants to do custom sternguard, will already know how and do better anyway.
why didnt they just cast up the commander sprues combi weapons? and modify the grey knight heavy flamer (i did two for my sternguard), you dont even get a left arm to hold the heavy bolter, you are supposed to use the bolter grip ones.

where are the crux shoulder pads? also the inclusion of the tripod stand as an actual part is unbelievable.

as a side note FW offer the tartaros tremie guns as combi packs now, why cant GW just do the same? obviously not storm bolters.

olberon
09-07-2012, 05:29 PM
only like the bolter, but that one is convertable. Paintjob btw is done by my 5 year old son if i may add :D

heretic marine
09-07-2012, 05:51 PM
only like the bolter, but that one is convertable. Paintjob btw is done by my 5 year old son if i may add :D

I paint like a 5 year old :( I am not that great a painter, but I could see myself painting those

they are terrible

ChacoStylez
09-07-2012, 06:16 PM
I'm going to have to get a set and see for myself how bad these are, I just can't miss out on converting my Sternguard squad into the Deathwatch Kill-Team i've always wanted! If this kit truely is bad, I can always exchange it for a better looking kit. Yeah, might be extra work, but I'll finally have the army i've wanted modeled and on the tabel top.

MaltonNecromancer
09-07-2012, 08:15 PM
These weapons are not the way to do Deathwatch.

Either go with Forgeworld...
http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb183/MaltonNecromancer/Deathwatch%202011/P7170313.jpg

Or home made conversions:

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb183/MaltonNecromancer/Deathwatch%202011/P7210332.jpg

Digitarii
09-07-2012, 08:57 PM
OMFG! If that's what GW thinks is quality work then they need to drop the lawsuit against CHS and not bother with aftermarket parts. Thanks to ebay and bits sellers, I can get all the combiweapons I need. If I want a combi-flamer that badly, I'll order the character upgrade sprue from forgeworld. Does it bother anyone else that the combi-flamer and combi-plasma are tiny little addons bolted to the top of the weapon, but the combi-melta makes the bolter seem like the add-on part? And the lightning claws...really, GW? The SW pack comes with two good LCs. You can't just redesign the Commander sprue to include all of the options for a power armor character? Really?

Bigred
09-07-2012, 09:16 PM
Wow - just wow.

Who on Terra approved those to ship out to customers!

That is embarrassingly bad. This may be the worst piece of casting since the vacu-formed crater fiasco of a couple years back.

Aanyone remember that one!

eldargal
09-07-2012, 10:54 PM
Those craters were dissapointing, given how nice the master models were (the ones in all the publicity photos). These are terrible though.

Deadlift
09-08-2012, 01:12 AM
Those lightning claws look like they have arthritis.

I bought the tartarus termi upgrade pack awhile ago, much better.

http://i844.photobucket.com/albums/ab3/joenortonjones/termweapons.jpg

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
09-08-2012, 02:58 AM
Reminds me of Chapter House Studios...

isotope99
09-08-2012, 03:35 AM
Pretty much mirrors my thought process:

1) Another chapterhouse bashing thread, really?
2) Well these are pretty blatant copies and not very good
3) Those are official models, really?
4) Checks GW site to be sure it's not a joke
5) That's £8 I can bear not to part with

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
09-08-2012, 03:38 AM
It was a joke isotope. :p
Note the italics.

eldargal
09-08-2012, 03:49 AM
Most of the other upgrade kits seem ok, thankfully.

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
09-08-2012, 03:51 AM
It's a shame that Ragnar Blackmane is so bad.

DAPHEEL
09-08-2012, 09:44 AM
Those are as rough as old boots, the price I could handle - GW luuuurve to squeeze money out of you - but they're all squiffy!

Autarch
09-08-2012, 10:07 AM
Man I just cannot abide Finecast. I know some people have said they like working with it, but in all my experience, and as evidenced by these somewhat shocking photos, I think GW made a big mistake in going finecast. I loved the metal minis I really wish they stuck with them.

Cpt Codpiece
09-08-2012, 10:41 AM
Man I just cannot abide Finecast. I know some people have said they like working with it, but in all my experience, and as evidenced by these somewhat shocking photos, I think GW made a big mistake in going finecast. I loved the metal minis I really wish they stuck with them.

in all fairness the issue is not the material, its the sculpting job and price, not to mention the audacity of GW to release such crap! seriously the old necromunda weapon sprues were better than this.... even the old 2nd ed spacial weapons plastic sprue was better than this!

FWIW i dont mind FC at all, as a material it works fine however its the process that is used in the casting that is lacking. you simply can not spin cast such a light resin with consistent results, even FW who use the same resin, just use poured/dropped cast method, get dodgy casts. the bent stuff is very workable, but twisted stuff is a no go and the voids from the spin cast is what is unacceptable.

doskar
09-09-2012, 09:16 PM
Very dissapointing. They had the potential to be a hot item too. Obviously GW doesn't have a drug testing program for their quality assurance team.

oni
09-10-2012, 11:10 AM
Wow - just wow.

Who on Terra approved those to ship out to customers!

That is embarrassingly bad. This may be the worst piece of casting since the vacu-formed crater fiasco of a couple years back.

Aanyone remember that one!

I remember the vacu-formed Blast Scape set when Planetstrike was released. Wow, was it ever a bad scene... Everyone who ordered that was out for blood.

Edit: The more I think about this... I recall GW even had a recall of the product due to extremely poor (and hostile) reception of the product.

Caitsidhe
09-10-2012, 12:29 PM
Games Workshop is a victim of their own success. They set a standard in models and didn't live up to it. To quote the Japanese, "even monkeys fall out of trees."

Gotthammer
09-10-2012, 12:48 PM
Yeah, but a monkey doesn't have a quality control team or various other levels of oversight to ensure it stays on the branch.
I cannot fathom how they thought bent claws in the picture would be even remotely acceptable, let alone the other facets of low quality on display.

Caitsidhe
09-10-2012, 12:51 PM
Yeah, but a monkey doesn't have a quality control team or various other levels of oversight to ensure it stays on the branch.

I'm not convinced GW has one either.

I cannot fathom how they thought bent claws in the picture would be even remotely acceptable, let alone the other facets of low quality on display.

Here we are in agreement. Even without an official "quality control" branch, you think "someone" would have put the brakes on that.

JMichael
09-10-2012, 04:07 PM
In addition to the crappy sculpts...the paintjobs are amateur at best. Certainly not up to par with their other stuff.

Kawauso
09-10-2012, 07:26 PM
In addition to the crappy sculpts...the paintjobs are amateur at best. Certainly not up to par with their other stuff.

To be fair though, it's the same way they've always painted the bits for upgrade kits.

But I, too, am greatly underwhelmed by this particular kit. Just..really disappointing stuff. The combi-plasma and -flamer look terrible and the heavy bolter is one of the crappy Scout variants as opposed to the awesome belt-fed one Devastators use.

eldargal
09-10-2012, 11:30 PM
Then you are deluding yourself. The vast majority of things GW release are superbly executed even if one doesn't like the aesthetic. This and the blastscape kit are the only technically crude things GW have released in a long time. They also have problematic quality control and assurance on the Finecast range but the true extent of that is unknown.

I'm not convinced GW has one either.

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
09-10-2012, 11:32 PM
It's alright, Caitsidhe is a troll or some such. I don't even know why he's here, but if he carries on slandering GW and others then he'll be out of here quicker than he can say "Go Fish".

mysterex
09-11-2012, 12:45 AM
Even if they had been well executed, I don't know why they modeled the lightning claws with shoulder pads attached. A lot of people would have wanted to use chapter specific pads for extra "bling" value rather than being limited to what they've used.

sorienor
09-11-2012, 02:39 AM
Even if they had been well executed, I don't know why they modeled the lightning claws with shoulder pads attached. A lot of people would have wanted to use chapter specific pads for extra "bling" value rather than being limited to what they've used.

They didn't bother to make a new part for this bits pack. Those are the lightning claws from the model "Space marine veteran with lightning claws" just recast in FC.

Psychosplodge
09-11-2012, 02:55 AM
I don't like these, they look more like homemade conversions rather than a release ready product.

RGilbert26
09-11-2012, 03:26 AM
Only thing I don't like are the lightning claws, the rest I'm quite happy with. Though as others have stated why buy this pack when you can get most of it from bits websites?

Herzlos
09-11-2012, 03:37 AM
I'm assuming they've been rushed out to try and compete with bits companies. There can't be any other reason.

LordDave
09-11-2012, 03:47 AM
These are for the brand new Codex: Derp Marines.

Psychosplodge
09-11-2012, 03:54 AM
Derpy enough?

http://fc00.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2011/258/1/7/derpy__s_destroyers_by_pouncival_corival-d49xqil.jpg
http://fc02.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2012/155/6/a/derpy_hooves_as_belial__master_of_deathwing_by_sho wmeyouridcard-d527len.jpg

Caitsidhe
09-11-2012, 06:21 AM
Then you are deluding yourself. The vast majority of things GW release are superbly executed even if one doesn't like the aesthetic. This and the blastscape kit are the only technically crude things GW have released in a long time. They also have problematic quality control and assurance on the Finecast range but the true extent of that is unknown.

I don't know if I'd go so far as to say I'm deluding myself when I say I don't think they have a QC Department. I think the quality of their models is excellent MOST of the time. I don't attribute this to quality control, as much as I do to talented artists and experience. Given their expertise in the matter, they probably don't need QC nine times out of ten. This situation proving the rule.

Caitsidhe
09-11-2012, 06:24 AM
It's alright, Caitsidhe is a troll or some such. I don't even know why he's here, but if he carries on slandering GW and others then he'll be out of here quicker than he can say "Go Fish".

Slandering? Wow. Apparently this place and Warseer have a great deal more in common than advertised.

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
09-11-2012, 06:37 AM
Sorry, am I wrong? What do you contribute to these forums Caitsidhe?

Caitsidhe
09-11-2012, 06:49 AM
Sorry, am I wrong? What do you contribute to these forums Caitsidhe?

I contribute no more or less than anyone else. We all contribute "opinions." My opinions run contrary to some others. That is called (as I'm sure you already know) a counterpoint. Some people might argue that the entire point of a forum is for an exchange of different ideas. If we all agreed this would be either a "fan club" or a "hate group" respectively. If you are deciding that I do not "contribute" or that I am a "Troll" merely because of different views, that says more about you than it does me. I try to stick to the topic. I avoid personal attacks. I do my best to abide by the etiquette of debate. There really isn't anything more I can do besides send you private mail asking you to read and approve my posts before I do them. Should I be doing that?

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
09-11-2012, 06:59 AM
Where are pictures of your hobby? Army lists? Tactics? There's much more that you can post than just arguments dude!

Deadlift
09-11-2012, 07:06 AM
I think we should all calm it down a little. Differing opinion does Not have to resort to a thread breakdown.

Let's all be friends,even if you like chapter house :)

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
09-11-2012, 07:09 AM
Heh, nice add-on there Deadlift.

I probably should have added sarcasm tags to the post that he took offence to, I wasn't being serious. :p

Caitsidhe
09-11-2012, 07:10 AM
Where are pictures of your hobby? Army lists? Tactics? There's much more that you can post than just arguments dude!

I suppose so, but those sorts of thing would appear in the appropriate threads. This one is about the Finecast Sternguard which came out awful. At least, I'm not in the minority thinking that. The other threads I've participated in so far are also not really places for me to post pictures of my models, lists, or tactics. But if you want a resume, ask Chris, we are mutual friends on Facebook apparently. We play together all the time. I play:

Warhammer 40K (CSM) *And I suppose a few other armies that ally with them now that we are in 6th Edition.
Warmachine/Hordes (Circle)
Dust (Learning to play)
Firestorm Armada (Learning to play)
Kings of War (Learning to play)

I have played Warhammer Fantasy but don't really care for it much. I was a Wood Elf player. I'm fond of Axis & Allies, custom versions, Chess, and countless other odd tactical/strategy board games. Chris introduced me to one called Revolt on Antares which was an old pocket game from way back in the day. I'm at work but I suppose I could take some pictures of my models and pop them up somewhere appropriate later just so you know I am not using green army men by proxy.

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
09-11-2012, 07:14 AM
Fandabbydozy! I am a happy man now. :p

Caitsidhe
09-11-2012, 07:14 AM
I think we should all calm it down a little. Differing opinion does Not have to resort to a thread breakdown.

Let's all be friends,even if you like chapter house :)

I like Chapterhouse jetpacks and some of their bits. I'm kind of cold fish in that I don't consider companies to be people. They are resources. I like competition and anything which provides a wider selection and cheaper prices for the consumer (namely me).

eldargal
09-11-2012, 07:46 AM
But there is a difference between sculpt quality and production quality. If you have rubbish moulds and poor production techniques/standard good masters can be turned into sub-par products. Moulds wear out for example, less so with the metal moulds of plastic, and need to be replaced. If you don't then details get fuzzier and all sorts of things can happen to reduce the quality of the finished product.

I don't know if I'd go so far as to say I'm deluding myself when I say I don't think they have a QC Department. I think the quality of their models is excellent MOST of the time. I don't attribute this to quality control, as much as I do to talented artists and experience. Given their expertise in the matter, they probably don't need QC nine times out of ten. This situation proving the rule.

I actually like CHS eldar jetbike council kits and a few others. Their eldar characters are nice too but the proportions are off which makes them hard to use. I ended up using the scorpion exarchess as a statue and arm swapped on the female Farseer.

Deadlift
09-11-2012, 08:34 AM
I like Chapterhouse jetpacks and some of their bits. I'm kind of cold fish in that I don't consider companies to be people. They are resources. I like competition and anything which provides a wider selection and cheaper prices for the consumer (namely me).

Personally not a fan of their sculpts, well except the tech marine conversion Beamer. Whilst I don't agree with CHS practices of using GWs ip, you can also argue that GW should have upped their game and not leave players with no appropriate models to use. Not everyone can sculpt their own stuff to a standard they would be happy to use.
CHS to their credit provided a product GW should have. That's a sensible business practice. Filling a gap in the market. However using the appropriate GW names. That was in my view a mistake.

Deadlift
09-11-2012, 08:42 AM
Back on topic, those lightning claws actually look like knockoffs :) anyone actually bought the kit ? Just wondering if it's as bad in the fine cast ?

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
09-11-2012, 08:59 AM
I'm pretty sure they're from one of the metal Veteran sets.

Deadlift
09-11-2012, 10:05 AM
I'm pretty sure they're from one of the metal Veteran sets.

Yeah I am sure your on the nail with that, what I ment was has anybody bought the finecast kit, and if so was the casting as wonky as the promotion picture ?

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
09-11-2012, 11:22 AM
I may get some... Or see if anyone at Shrewsbury does.

Wolf
09-11-2012, 01:52 PM
I just had to add to this topic about the Lightning Claws. There is an option to buy a set of 5 pairs of LCs also available on GW's site. This is the link: http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat440339a&prodId=prod1710024a

It's worth having a look at the quality (?) but also worth noting how good the proofreading has been for the blurb under the picture. Go read and have a scratch of the head or a shake of the head, whichever suits.

W.

Deadlift
09-11-2012, 02:08 PM
Looks like one pair, photo shopped to look like 5 pairs. Again the actual used example is laughable.

Caitsidhe
09-11-2012, 02:50 PM
Looks like one pair, photo shopped to look like 5 pairs. Again the actual used example is laughable.

What stuns me more than anything else is that the ad is still up there and nobody has already moved to correct it.

Kawauso
09-11-2012, 05:40 PM
I just had to add to this topic about the Lightning Claws. There is an option to buy a set of 5 pairs of LCs also available on GW's site. This is the link: http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat440339a&prodId=prod1710024a

It's worth having a look at the quality (?) but also worth noting how good the proofreading has been for the blurb under the picture. Go read and have a scratch of the head or a shake of the head, whichever suits.

W.

Thing is those are LCs for Terminators...which is really confusing since if you just buy a box of Assault Terminators you get 5 pairs anyway...and they look way better and there's some actual variety.

Renegade
09-11-2012, 06:42 PM
I think I will stick to Forge World and Games Workshop should stick with plastic and metal, you know it makes sense.

Maybe this is a threat!? People keep buying the low grade stuff that CHS pumps out and GW will make stuff just as low grade... it obviously has a market.

=Angel=
09-12-2012, 06:41 AM
I think I will stick to Forge World and Games Workshop should stick with plastic and metal, you know it makes sense.

Maybe this is a threat!? People keep buying the low grade stuff that CHS pumps out and GW will make stuff just as low grade... it obviously has a market.

That's one conspiracy theory.

Imagine gw is told by the court that an independent gw customer is to try and differentiate between ch and gw products- to test the theory that people would confuse their products.
Gw respond with this bits set, which if placed beside well done bits from another company noone would believe were the 'leading brand'
I know it's probably just shoddy work
But it's just so surprisingly bad that it makes us reach for darker motives

Nosmo75
09-17-2012, 03:31 PM
Does it bother anyone else that the combi-flamer and combi-plasma are tiny little addons bolted to the top of the weapon, but the combi-melta makes the bolter seem like the add-on part?

The Combi-Plasma in the Space Marine Commander box looks much better, and that's another combi-weapon where the bolter looks like the one-shot attachment! xD