PDA

View Full Version : Drop Pod Re-Entry Burns

ElectricPaladin
09-06-2012, 10:59 AM
I was recently pleasantly surprised to discover that dirtying up a marine's feet is as easy as dry-brushing Steel Legion Drap. Man, the GW bases line of paints are awesome. Anyway, now that I've discovered that weathering up the feet of my marines is as easy as dyrbrushing, I'd love to explore what it would take to add re-entry burns to the bottom and sides of my drop pods.

Can any of you...
1) post instructions here?
2) point me in the direction of a good tutorial?

Because this is a painting and modeling forum, feel free to post pictures of well-burned drop pods, especially if you're trying to convince me to go with your technique!

Mystery.Shadow
09-06-2012, 01:38 PM
I was recently pleasantly surprised to discover that dirtying up a marine's feet is as easy as dry-brushing Steel Legion Drap. Man, the GW bases line of paints are awesome. Anyway, now that I've discovered that weathering up the feet of my marines is as easy as dyrbrushing, I'd love to explore what it would take to add re-entry burns to the bottom and sides of my drop pods.

Can any of you...
1) post instructions here?
2) point me in the direction of a good tutorial?

Because this is a painting and modeling forum, feel free to post pictures of well-burned drop pods, especially if you're trying to convince me to go with your technique!

Simple! Paint the Drop Pod as you would normally, then once finished, take it outside with some blu-tac and a long stick. Attach it by the top and use black spray paint (spraying from) the bottom of the model! Easy, realistic re-entry burns!!

Night System
09-06-2012, 01:53 PM
This thread is peaking my interest, not because I know how to paint re-entry burns but I am very eager to learn how to do them as well,

ElectricPaladin
09-06-2012, 03:06 PM
Simple! Paint the Drop Pod as you would normally, then once finished, take it outside with some blu-tac and a long stick. Attach it by the top and use black spray paint (spraying from) the bottom of the model! Easy, realistic re-entry burns!!

Wow. That sounds so simple that I'm tempted to just pick up a can of black spray paint today. Can you post an image of what the finished product looks like?

Mystery.Shadow
09-06-2012, 10:12 PM
Not a very good pic, but gives you an idea. The spray used here is subtle. You can go crazy if you want. Experiment with a cheap water bottle for effect.

http://album.warpshadow.com/v/HiveFleetMysteryShadow/GoofingAround/09060007.JPG.html

fuzzbuket
09-07-2012, 12:42 AM
if you have a airbrush on hand use that instead, and possibly add a little brown too.