PDA

View Full Version : DA Exarch gear

Lost Vyper
09-04-2012, 06:09 AM
What do you use mostly? My guys are always rolling with 2 ASCīs with Bladestrorm. I used to get Defend, but it makes now difference, when you are assaulted by BAīs/Orcs/Nids. On my new list, i have dropped Exarchs all together, just to shave off some points. Same leadership, and one CC-swing, plus Bladestorm aint much. If you are gonna get assaulted, you Bladestrom the enemy and then sit on your thumb, cos you cant Overwatch..

eldargal
09-04-2012, 09:05 AM
I find Defend + Shimmershield can keep them alive long enough to at least not be killed off the objective they are guarding, and hopefully long enough for some help to arrive. I always take an exarch because Bladestorm is actually rather good. I'm unclear as to whether the Bladestorm rule means it can't overwatch, I vaguely remembr overwatch being able to be done in circumstances where shooting would not noramlly be allowe but I may be misremembering.

Archon Charybdis
09-04-2012, 10:03 AM
I usually just stick to Bladestorm and 2 shuricats, I don't find for the extra cost that Defend and the Shimmershield do enough. They can certainly help, but DAs getting stuck in with a dedicated assault unit are still going to die.

I always take an exarch because Bladestorm is actually rather good. I'm unclear as to whether the Bladestorm rule means it can't overwatch, I vaguely remembr overwatch being able to be done in circumstances where shooting would not noramlly be allowe but I may be misremembering.

I think the obvious intent would be they can't overwatch after a Bladestorm (they're supposed to be out of ammo and reloading), but technically they're only restricted from firing in the "subsequent shooting phase".

Nabterayl
09-04-2012, 11:30 AM
I suppose I could buy that the exarch has everybody keep enough ammunition back for an overwatch, and then has everybody reload once it's clear that they aren't going to be charged.

fuzzbuket
09-05-2012, 12:43 AM
twin catapults and bladestorm.

run shoot run shoot. and frankly over 2 squads of DA bladestorming makes me giggle when i roll ALL THE DICE! however if i need a objective holding unit its just 5 DA and nothing else

Lost Vyper
09-08-2012, 02:00 AM
FAQ came and took care of the Bladestorm + Overwatch -debate...

Anggul
09-08-2012, 02:34 AM
FAQ came and took care of the Bladestorm + Overwatch -debate...

Although we can still fire normally in the shooting phase, then Bladestorm on Overwatch.

Personally I don't use Bladestorm or indeed any DA powers, it's well worth just having him with dual catapults. I like to be able to fire every turn, Bladestorm will probably only be used once in a game, which to me isn't worth 15pts per squad.