PDA

View Full Version : Looking back.

Fueldrop
09-02-2012, 07:04 AM
Now that sixth edition is well and truly here, I've decided to look back at what used to be.
Trawling through my books I have come across an old (and heavily used) copy of rogue trader, complete with tokens to play with. back then the game was almost entirely an infantry affair, with any vehicle that took to the field being some scratch-built and custom-ruled beastie. likewise, most of the rules were more inclined towards making your own stats up for custom models and armies :)

Mostly though, my memory is of small, desperate battles consisting of a couple of squads and maybe a sergeant to be the hero. Each player had a couple of guys dodging from cover to cover, taking pot shots at each other as everyone strived for the tactical superiority needed for a killing blow.
It was probably nothing like that, but memory is a funny thing some times.

Now with air support, tanks, APCs, Artillery, Drop Pods and Orbital Assets, the battlefield is a much deadlier place. Most games take place on a less personal level, where life is cheap and short for the common ground-pounder.

While this is fun in its own way, there are times when I can't help hankering for the old days when one space marine was considered enough to wipe your entire army.

Rev. Tiberius Jackhammer
09-02-2012, 08:12 AM
Consider trying out the Deathwatch and Dark Heresy RPGs - from what I hear, they have the personal-level feeling and then some!