PDA

View Full Version : Legion of the Damned book

Jmaximum
08-31-2012, 06:12 PM
I am only 75 pages in, but I am already really enjoying this book.
I also like how author Rob Sanders tied in some of the events from The Primarchs: The Serpent Beneath. (The 76th Geno Spartacid make an appearance in a history book being read by an Excoriator chapter serf, although they appear as loyalists as far back as the Unification wars.)

Now, being that I am only on page 75, I just have to know: did I waste money on this book, because the Legion of the Damned is based on the Excoriators, and NOT the Fire Hawks like ancient fluff suggests?

templar143
09-01-2012, 06:27 AM
not going to ruin it for you, but the Excoriators remain themselves at the end of the book. i read it when it first came out, loved it.

Jmaximum
09-01-2012, 07:36 AM
oh awesome!
So there is stilla chance that it's the Fire Hawks.

Jmaximum
09-13-2012, 09:09 AM
Just finished the book.
Awesome read.

************************************************** **SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS****************************************** *******************************************

I was both very appreciative of, and extremely frustrated by, the fact that the Damned Legionnaires did not speak or really even interact with the Excoriators, they were just there as spectres. I do approve of them keeping the Legionnaires mysterious.
I just wish there would have been more clues as to who they were prior to whatever turned them into ghosts. There is a minor nod in that direction at the very end, when Kersh says he can;t remember the chapter whose motto it was "For the Emperor beyond death".

I do like that they name drop Sergeant Attica Centurius in one of the coffin drop pods (although why ghosts need coffin shaped drop pods is beyond me), but it is never clear which spectre he is.

There is also a ton of chapter/warband name drops in there as well: The Blood Gorgons (they had their own trilogy), and the Red Dragons (the bad guys in the Salamanders Tome of Fire trilogy), to name a couple.