PDA

View Full Version : Advice on airbrushing with Vallejo please.

Capn Stoogey
08-30-2012, 02:01 AM
Hey guys.

I'm about to break into the world of airbrushing, but as a n00b I need some advice.

I'm looking at the Vallejo air range and I'm trying to find a match for the old GW Regal blue and Catachan green.

Also, how close are the Vallejo game colours Imperial blue and Cayman green to these colours? I'm still adding to my Ultramarines and Cadians, but the new GW colours are just too different for my fussiness.

Thanks for your help, happy painting!

Filthspew
08-30-2012, 03:04 AM
There is no direct conversion between the two.

If you want a specific GW color, just water it down and spray it.

Be carefull though, watered down paint is not as strong as paint made for airbrush, it needs a coat of some sort.

Another thing to bear in mind is that when you airbrush, the layer of paint is so thin that the color underneath determines the outcome.

If you want a specific color, the base should be white.

Vellejo paints tend to become much darker than they look in the bottle.

Koziołek
08-30-2012, 03:34 AM
Hi!

I think this link (http://www.dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Paint_Range_Compatibility_Chart) could help. Take care that some of new citadel paints behave difference when you use different undercoat paint. IMO best is use something between light and medium grey as basecoat.

Chris*ta
08-30-2012, 08:04 AM
Koziołek, that's a great link! Saved to the hard drive!

wittdooley
08-30-2012, 08:59 AM
As an aside, GW paints work VERY well through airbrushes when they're thinned just a small bit. Typically, I'll cut mine with Windex (yep, the blue stuff) to the point that the paint is the consistency of milk. Never really had any problems with clogs, etc.

I've had some problems with regular vallejos clogging my brush. Vallejo Air, however, are very good. But bear in mind, because they're already thinned for use, you're actually getting 'less' paint.

Deadlift
09-01-2012, 03:34 PM
I prefer the VMA mettalics for airbrushing, they are much finer than citadel, VGC or VMC. Non airbrushed mettalics I go for Vallejo liquid metal range. It's easily the best but I have never used it in an airbrush.

I know we're talking about blues and matching colours between ranges, but I just wanted to add this for anyone new to airbrushing. :D

Capn Stoogey
09-10-2012, 06:29 AM
Sweet, thanks for the help dudes. Just got my airbrush and some Vallejo, guess I gotta jump in the deep end now!

War Painter
09-13-2012, 01:39 AM
Also if you do have to thin them use acrylic medium instead of water, it hold the paint together much better but helps to eliminate clogs since it gives a better mix.