PDA

View Full Version : Wood Elf Rumour Roundup

eldargal
08-27-2012, 06:19 AM
Short version: New book in Spring 2014.

Long version:;)

Wood Elf Rumours I was closed by the Mods due to Off topic/wishlisting .... Let try to leep this one on topic!
Please only post if you have rumours or to comment on something which has been rumoured.

In an effort to pull together what few rumours we have …
I have started threads for each of the armies rumoured to be somewhere in the pipeline.
I will do my best to keep the first posts updated as more rumours appear in these threads.
I have tried to remember as much as I can of what has been posted so far.
I will have missed or forgotten some of it ... so, any rumours that have been posted please just remind me ‘who’ said ‘what’ and I will update this first post.

Wood Elves:

Release date:
Book for spring 2014(Earlybird)
There are rumours there was a draft book that got scrapped for not being up to par. They had to do a re-write and they had shifted it over to someone else.(Scoopdeta)
There are rumours of Wood Elves in 2013 Early to mid 2013 (Scoopdeta) Really? (Harry)
There is a rumour of Wood Elves in March 2013 (Why) UPDATE :Wood elves have been put back in favour of another army. Apparantly the book is finished and ready to go but they decided to rejig the release schedule. (Why) Really? (Harry)
Wood Elves have been in development "active playtesting" since 2010 (Meltedwing)

Clam pack artwork/photos for a plastic wood elf spell singer & a plastic wood elf lord had been seen.
Do not know if that was an indication that they would be released any time soon or held for main release later? (Hastings)

Author: Unknown.
Whilst there are rumours the book has been started there are no rumours of who the lead writer might be.

Rules:
There are rumours of darker and more dangerous Wood Elves based on the content of the currently unreleased Black Library Orion novel. Set for release in September? “I'm assuming that the author (Darius Hinks) spoke with the design studio prior to writing the book about the direction they wanted to take them. The guy on the Black Library stand says Darius has spent ages studying Paganism and other similar religions to get ideas, and he has really played up the darker, more capricious nature of the wood elves. One example he gave was elves cutting out the hearts of other elves to replace them with briar hearts" (Jedi)
Coeddil is in the new book as a special character. (Dudely)
Scouts become their own unit choice, but are still limited in their selection; I think this means either Special choices, or not counting towards the minimum 25% Core - rumours of a character/kindred (I'm leaning hopefully towards Skarloc) remove this limitation; either shifting towards core, or counting towards the minimum 25%.(Antipathy)

Not sure if this lot is supposed to come with minis:

Chariot is back.(Earlybird)
Packmaster with orion hounds or great bear. (Earlybird)
A "fairy" unit working a bit like the Banshee.(Earlybird)
Stags as mounts for Kurnous cavalry.(Earlybird)
Skaw the falconer is back with new mini (Earlybird)

Not so much a packmaster, but the new Alter Kindred takes on the form of an animal/nature and becomes some form of monstrous beast/infantry, apparently. The fluff being they give themselves over to the forest, and take on its aspects, sort of like miniature orions, rather than being a shapeshifter atypical druid. Playtested versions have seen "proxied" varghulfs with extremely fast movement, so that may mean that they can take on an aerial aspect that gives them fly.(Antipathy)

As for the monstrous cav, I am lead to believe that wild riders current iteration is still viable in the rules.(Antipathy)

Chariots meanwhile, I have heard absolutely nothing about, other than suggestions of an altar type of unit acting like a mortis engine with its "spirit host", but that has been dismissed by my sources as pure wishlisting. (Antipathy)

Models:
A lot of miniature designs for new woodies already created and approved (scoopdeta)
TreeKin, Treemen and wardancers/warhawks. (Scoopdeta)
A Cavalry unit that packed some punch but no specifics. (scoopdeta)
Wild Riders, they're becoming "larger" and "much deadlier", including vine/ivy wreathed horns and "immense mounts" - matching the Orion, Vaults of Winter novel description. Whether they become the rumoured/(un)wanted for "Stag Knights" or Monstrous Cavalry in any form is unknown other than their size compared to the comparatively slightly built elves was heavily stressed. (Antipathy)
There are rumours of a BIG treeman. (Harry and Hastings) The treeman, however was said to be on the new monster base and about as tall as the Ogre Thundertusk's banner, and that it stylewise is more living brushwood-forest thingy than an actual anthromorphic tree. (Birdy via Darnock)
Both High Elves and Wood Elves may get the Treeman in their updated books. (buzz0783)
Forest Dragon (Strategos)
Plastic Dragon (Spellweaver/Highborn options; no comment yet on Sisters of Twilight) (Antipathy)
A plastic wood elf spell singer. (Hastings)
A plastic wood elf lord. (Hastings)
Plastic Set for Eternal Guard equipped with Saearath - presuming 10 to a set like High Elven Elites, including full command. Other than being plastic, I have been told that they will remain in the same style aesthetic so as not to clash with the existing Metal models - which in turn will also become direct only models. (Antipathy)

BRING IT ON!

lattd
08-27-2012, 06:48 AM
SQUEEEEEE, but why push it back give my my hippy elves!

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
08-27-2012, 06:50 AM
2014? That's a bit too far in the future for me.

eldargal
08-27-2012, 06:52 AM
I wouldn't put too much stock in things being 'pushed back'. You can only push something back if you have a date in mind for it, and as far as we know GW finish things first, then release them.

SQUEEEEEE, but why push it back give my my hippy elves!

Kaiserdean
08-30-2012, 03:18 PM
2014? That's a bit too far in the future for me.

Yeah, I bet 9th edition beats WE to the table.

Chronowraith
08-31-2012, 01:31 PM
If it's spring 2014 then it would appear that Wood Elves would likley be the last 8th edition army book before 9th edition.

I'm still holding a little hope that they leave 8th edition alone for an extra year or two, but honestly, I'd be surprised if they did.

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
08-31-2012, 01:36 PM
Yeah, I bet 9th edition beats WE to the table.

The surprise on my face would be lackluster. :p