PDA

View Full Version : White Dwarf Overhaul

eldargal
08-27-2012, 03:39 AM
From Darnok's Birdy via Warseer:

WD is changing in a fairly big way. They are moving out of the design studio into completely new offices and have brought in an outsider to head up the new format magazine (a former editor of a major successful magazine). The new magazine will have increased content and is being invested in with more money by GW in an attempt to break with the concept amongst many readers that it is little more than a figures advert. They've been working on the new mag since early May (4 WDs have been released since), so I'd expect the first of the new look fairly soon, but it would give us an idea on internal turn around times when it appears...

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
08-27-2012, 03:41 AM
Oh really? That's interesting.

I wonder in what way will it change...?

eldargal
08-27-2012, 03:41 AM
It sounds like they want it to be an actual hobby magazine again rather than a catalogue with the occassional good article.

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
08-27-2012, 03:43 AM
Hahahaha!
More painting and modelling guides are always welcome.... so long as they don't steal any more of my ideas.

energongoodie
08-27-2012, 03:47 AM
If it happens then I'll buy it.

I want to buy White Dwarf. I want to have a subscription again. I think I cancelled in 96 and haven't even considered getting it since.

If we go back to the days of a proper hobby magazine, then I am in.

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
08-27-2012, 03:51 AM
Wow, you've nearly not had WD longer than I've been alive. O_O

Wildeybeast
08-27-2012, 03:52 AM
It sounds like they want it to be an actual hobby magazine again rather than a catalogue with the occassional good article.

You mean like this month's? ;) If this proves true, I for shall be glad. They have been in desperate need of a proper editor for god knows how long (and sub editors IMO). Though we already know the turn around times, they have said it several times in WD that it goes to print 3 months before it hits the shelves.

eldargal
08-27-2012, 04:00 AM
Do you mean August or Septembers? August was alright, good new rules for a nice but of content, few other decent things but it is still a long way from where it was init heydey. I actually think last year was one of the better years of the past decade or so, but there were a few bad issues. This year there have been a few bad ones and hte year isn't over yet. Though I do like the new painting guides.

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
08-27-2012, 04:02 AM
September's is awesome! Love the Alpha Legion in there.

energongoodie
08-27-2012, 04:14 AM
Wow, you've nearly not had WD longer than I've been alive. O_O

I feel old :(

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
08-27-2012, 04:15 AM
Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwh!

Wildeybeast
08-27-2012, 04:21 AM
Sorry, should have been clearer. September's is utter rubbish (IMO, other opinions are of course available). You get to page 81 before you see anything that isn't glorified advertising for Dark Vengenance. And the rest of the magazine consists of pictures of space marines, more pictures of space marines, Citadel Hall of Fame, Standard Bearer (Jervis is Back!), 2 pages of Golden Demon pictures, advertising for Forgeworld, token fantasy pictures of VC and Brets and then the usual listing gumph at the back. The only thing that remotely caught my interest (other than Standard Bearer and the Hall of Fame which I always like) was the news that White Scars are finally getting a HH novel.

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
08-27-2012, 04:23 AM
But.... Alpha Legion...

eldargal
08-27-2012, 04:27 AM
I haven't read septembers yet, but there have been some real stinkers this year. Last year really only the Dreadfleet issue and one other I can't forget were truly bad. This year has had a few.

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
08-27-2012, 04:30 AM
Ironically, I'm about to play Dreadfleet.

Most of the build up this year has been for 6th edition, and with it being the Year of 40k, I would expect it to be 40k heavy.

Wildeybeast
08-27-2012, 04:43 AM
But.... Alpha Legion...

If that were set alongside some other good articles, it would be fine. But all it basically does is add to the count of pretty pictures. There are six pages of advertising the Imperial scenery, saying how good it would be if you bought some to use with your DV stuff. And the DV stuff is terrible. 6 pages of explaining what's in the box, 6 pages of rubbish fluff and then 24, yes that's right 24, pages of them playing through the battles in the boxset! Why would I want to read about other people doing that when I can do it myself???? Where are the articles with sculptors explaining how they created the models? Where is the thought process behind the choice of armies and which particular models to include? Where are the articles advising new gamers how to expand on their armies from the boxset? They used to do those sort of articles. I have no objections to most of the issue being given over to DV, but give us some quality articles at least! Aside from the regular features, the entire magazine consists of poorly disguised advertising and pretty pictures. Utterly atrocious.:mad: I humbly suggest you don't waste your time reading it EG.

Rant over. :p

Wildeybeast
08-27-2012, 04:44 AM
Ironically, I'm about to play Dreadfleet.

Most of the build up this year has been for 6th edition, and with it being the Year of 40k, I would expect it to be 40k heavy.

Dreadfleet itself is awesome. The WD it covering was utter pants, as EG says.

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
08-27-2012, 04:54 AM
TL;DR! SO MUCH TL;DR! :p

Oh dear....
I really liked looking at what people were doing with the box.

Kirsten
08-27-2012, 04:59 AM

bring back Fat Bloke.

Wildeybeast
08-27-2012, 05:11 AM
TL;DR! SO MUCH TL;DR! :p

Oh dear....
I really liked looking at what people were doing with the box.

Noob question, but what does TL;DR mean?

musical-fool
08-29-2012, 12:32 AM
From a logical point of view, it would be best to save the overhaul to more of a hobby mag than a catalogue until after the large new edition release. I am expecting to see the new version possibly next month. That is what would make sense to me.

Herzlos
08-29-2012, 02:17 AM
Sorry, should have been clearer. September's is utter rubbish (IMO, other opinions are of course available). You get to page 81 before you see anything that isn't glorified advertising for Dark Vengenance. And the rest of the magazine consists of pictures of space marines, more pictures of space marines, Citadel Hall of Fame, Standard Bearer (Jervis is Back!), 2 pages of Golden Demon pictures, advertising for Forgeworld, token fantasy pictures of VC and Brets and then the usual listing gumph at the back. The only thing that remotely caught my interest (other than Standard Bearer and the Hall of Fame which I always like) was the news that White Scars are finally getting a HH novel.

This. I've flicked through it twice so far and don't think I've seen anything I'd call content. It does contain some mission scenarios for DV, but they also appear to be in the box. It really has been reading as a catalogue of late, and it's sad that I can be finished reading a magazine within an hour, whereas another big magazine run by a gaming company takes me about 10x as long.

If they do that it'd be brilliant; I remember the old issues where they came with mini-games, or instructions on how to make your own Ork vehicles from cardboard and lots of ideas for things to do other than what's available to buy now.

Psychosplodge
08-29-2012, 04:03 AM
>It used to be good, had hope it was going to be again, then Septembers issue came out and hope died, everyone wants the old type back, subscribing is crap compared to how it used to be, and the bloke who wrote about gaming in his garage/basement with his mates was a popular article.<

About where we were?

Wildeybeast
08-29-2012, 04:21 AM
A succinct and accurate summary.

Psychosplodge
08-29-2012, 04:22 AM
Bringing it back, one thread at a time...

Verilance
08-29-2012, 04:31 AM
as someone who stopped buying White Dwarf originally when they went entirely in-house long long ago the change can only be for the better.

I enjoy the hobby articles and the histories both of 40K and fantasy but I really miss the old days (to which one can never return)

Psychosplodge
08-29-2012, 04:39 AM
>missed talking about how was better under fat bloke.<

Wildeybeast
08-29-2012, 04:41 AM
It was, though he's even better now he's in burger form.

The Shadow King
08-29-2012, 05:32 AM
It was, though he's even better now he's in burger form.

Mmmmmm... Fat bloke, Now extra crispy

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
08-29-2012, 05:34 AM
Any onion rings with that?

Psychosplodge
08-29-2012, 05:40 AM
The problem with novelty burgers is rather than improve the meaty goodness by slight tweaks to the meat such as seasoning or better quality or a particular breed of beef, they just pile sh!t on it in terms of cheese, sauces, and rabbit food.

A burger should be Bread and meat...

Wildeybeast
08-29-2012, 06:54 AM
Any onion rings with that?

Never have their onion rings. They are literally dripping with grease, horrible things.

Adra
08-29-2012, 07:52 AM
White Dwarf Overhaul? Into a skip I hope...

joescalise
08-30-2012, 07:12 AM
I just wish they would put characters and more units in the mag like they used to. they could put a character from a book or a unit from a book or something of that nature ever now and then and that would be great. the put apoc units a few times and then stopped.

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
08-30-2012, 07:16 AM
Never have their onion rings. They are literally dripping with grease, horrible things.

Gods damn it, now I want to go to Wetherspoons for a Gourmet Beef Burger. :p

Psychosplodge
08-30-2012, 07:17 AM
Now I want to go to somewhere that doesn't exist anymore for a bison burger...

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
08-30-2012, 07:21 AM
Bad luck friend.

Psychosplodge
08-30-2012, 07:22 AM
I know. but what can you do?

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
08-30-2012, 07:25 AM
Go to Wetherspoons?

Psychosplodge
08-30-2012, 07:34 AM
Why what have I done to deserve such punishment?

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
08-30-2012, 07:35 AM
I love Wetherspoons!

Also, my mate's girlfriend works there. :p

Psychosplodge
08-30-2012, 07:39 AM
I like weatherspoons, i hate the customers lol

Wildeybeast
08-30-2012, 07:42 AM
For what it is, wetherspoons is awesome. it's the Ronseal of pubs, you know exactly what to expect and get exactly what you expect. Cheap beer and good value food. We have one in Derby that always has at least 12 real ales one, it's wonderful. I also like the fact they try to link the pubs to the local history/culture of the area, more places should do that.

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
08-30-2012, 07:43 AM
@Psycho - Doesn't everyone!??!
At least yours aren't Welsh!

@Wildey - Our's is called The Shrewsbury Hotel, it's quite Darwinian. :D

Wildeybeast
08-30-2012, 07:47 AM
In the sense that it's themed around or Darwin or in the sense that entering there is constant battle for survival?

Psychosplodge
08-30-2012, 07:48 AM
For what it is, wetherspoons is awesome. it's the Ronseal of pubs, you know exactly what to expect and get exactly what you expect. Cheap beer and good value food. We have one in Derby that always has at least 12 real ales one, it's wonderful. I also like the fact they try to link the pubs to the local history/culture of the area, more places should do that.

Aye there is that. We've got 4/5 in the city centre (i think) and some are obviously worse than others

@Psycho - Doesn't everyone!??!
At least yours aren't Welsh!

@Wildey - Our's is called The Shrewsbury Hotel, it's quite Darwinian. :D

probably, and what you done to attract them?

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
08-30-2012, 07:55 AM
@Wildey - just based on him, unfortunately...

@Psycho - be on the border, that's what we did....

Psychosplodge
08-30-2012, 08:19 AM
it's not a real border, wales is merely part of England

Wolfshade
08-30-2012, 08:19 AM
The trouble is with whetherspoons is that they buy their beer when it is on its way out, therefore the beer is not always as it should.
As for real ale pubs I have plenty in brum to keep me happy. My favourite even has a monthly cheese night, where you bring your own interesting cheeses to try

Psychosplodge
08-30-2012, 08:24 AM
That's how they keep it cheap, go somewhere decent for the first three or four then you don't notice lol

Wildeybeast
08-30-2012, 08:27 AM
The trouble is with whetherspoons is that they buy their beer when it is on its way out, therefore the beer is not always as it should.
As for real ale pubs I have plenty in brum to keep me happy. My favourite even has a monthly cheese night, where you bring your own interesting cheeses to try

An urban legend, and like most, entirely untrue. They get beer cheap because they are one of the biggest pub chains in the UK and buy in bulk.

Wolfshade
08-30-2012, 08:39 AM
Not entirely what my head brewer of a friend says, or at least suggests...and certainly they are not selling out of date beer, but I have had more pints that have been "off" from whetherspoons than from anywhere else, so if not close to expiration date they have issues keeping them?

I will agree with you certainly they are almost the tesco of pubs. I also like that they have local beers, so when drinking in nottingham I can have nottingham beers, when in dudley I can have black country beers and so on.

The one thing I do dislike is that the same meal will cost you different amounts depending where your spoons is located (and I am not talking about comparing a lloyds with a regular spoon).

Psychosplodge
08-30-2012, 08:39 AM
It may not be true anymore, but it is how they started out.

Wildeybeast
08-30-2012, 08:44 AM
Yeah, the meal prices annoy me. The freshness of the ale may depend on the landlord (mine is excellent and really knows his stuff), but there is no company wide policy to buy nearly off beer.

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
08-30-2012, 08:47 AM
Me, Chris and Brian have breakfast at The Shrewsbury every Sunday (BREAKFAST CLUB!) and we've never had any issues with the food or the price to be fair.

Wolfshade
08-30-2012, 08:48 AM
I presume that that is before mattins?

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
08-30-2012, 08:49 AM
How did we go from White Dwarf to Wetherspoons? What is this, reverse QI? :p

Psychosplodge
08-30-2012, 08:49 AM
We used to have breakfast with a pint when I was at uni on tuesday in lloyds...

Wolfshade
08-30-2012, 09:06 AM
Have you ever queued up waiting for a sppoons to open in the morning?
The people who are waiting with you are worrying....

Wildeybeast
08-30-2012, 09:07 AM
They are the closest we will get to Zombies

Psychosplodge
08-30-2012, 09:08 AM
No it opens at six/seven, ive been in at 8 for a cuppa before and we used to be in for ten for pint/breakfast but opening? no

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
08-30-2012, 09:12 AM
Ah, Zombies. The thing that every nerd is prepared for. :p

Wolfshade
08-30-2012, 09:12 AM
Just me then.
In my defense I was going for breakfast and it was just before 10:00.
While at uni it was always dodgy to find the uni bar shut, so instead we went to the cafe (interval for you splogy) and had toasted tea cakes and tea.
One lad had a mocca latte and always argued that it should be the average of the mocca and a latte as it was half and half and not actually more expensive then either one. Despite having had this argument, one time with graphs and a flip board, he never got it at his price.

Wildeybeast
08-30-2012, 09:13 AM
Zombies don't require any preparation, it's the rise of the machines you need to watch for.

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
08-30-2012, 09:15 AM
Good thing that I am the Machines. :p

Psychosplodge
08-30-2012, 09:17 AM
Just me then.
In my defense I was going for breakfast and it was just before 10:00.
While at uni it was always dodgy to find the uni bar shut, so instead we went to the cafe (interval for you splogy) and had toasted tea cakes and tea.
One lad had a mocca latte and always argued that it should be the average of the mocca and a latte as it was half and half and not actually more expensive then either one. Despite having had this argument, one time with graphs and a flip board, he never got it at his price.

But you went to big school, we only walked up the hill to lloyds lol

Sainhann
09-05-2012, 07:54 PM
I also stop getting it back in the late 1990's as well. Since that time I have only picked up three copies of it.

Two were when they included the miniatures right after 5th Edition came out and the third was the one with the Demon supplement.

In both cases I open them up and look at them and then they went into the recycling bin. They had nothing in them that at all except pretty pictures of the miniatures that they wanted you to buy.

Now if they can take it back to how it was back in the late 1980's to mid 1990's when it actually had articles worth reading, great battle reports and other stuff.

I remember that my time in Korea back during 1990-1991 one of the bright spots of the month was getting my White Dwarf.

Then the late 1990's came and the price was increasing but the content was getting worse.

Today it is nothing but one great big advertisement for their miniatures and the battle reports are horrible and there is really no otehr content in them.

Kaiserdean
09-06-2012, 09:48 AM
I feel old :(

You're not old, you're a veteran and you get to wear a white helmet. You only should feel ashamed if he can paint better than you.

energongoodie
09-06-2012, 10:02 AM
You're not old, you're a veteran and you get to wear a white helmet. You only should feel ashamed if he can paint better than you.

Then ashamed I am :)

p.s whats the white helmet about? Is it a new fangled internet forum reference that I am too old to understand?

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
09-06-2012, 10:13 AM
1st Company Veterans have white helmets

energongoodie
09-06-2012, 10:33 AM
1st Company Veterans have white helmets

Felling dumb that I didn't get that. :confused: :mad:

But I ain't no Ultramarine!!! :D

Psychosplodge
09-06-2012, 11:30 AM
The biggest secret of the 40k universe?

All marines are ultramarines....