PDA

View Full Version : 750-1500 Space Wolves Plasma Heavy

Whereswaldo
08-26-2012, 04:10 PM
Space Wolves 750 Point

1 Rune Priest, (Runic Armor – JOTWW, Living Lighting) – 120 (Pack Leader for the Grey Hunters)
9 Grey Hunters (Plasmagun, Wolf Standard, Rhino) - 190
10 Grey Hunters (x2 Plasmagun, Mark of the Wulfen, Wolf Standard, Rhino) – 220
10 Grey Hunters (x2 Plasmagun, Mark of the Wulfen ,Wolf Standard, Rhino) – 220

= 750

Space Wolves 1000 Point

1 Rune Priest, (Runic Armor – JOTWW, Living Lighting) – 120 (Pack Leader for the Grey Hunters)
9 Grey Hunters (Plasmagun, Mark of the Wulfen, Wolf Standard, Rhino) - 205
5 Long Fangs (4 Missile Launchers, Razorback w/ TL Lascannon) - 190

= 955

Space Wolves 1500 Point

1 Rune Priest (Runic Armor - Living Lighting, JOTWW) - 120 (Pack Leader for the Grey Hunters)
9 Grey Hunters (Plasmagun, Mark of the Wulfen, Wolf Standard, Rhino) - 205
10 Grey Hunters (x2 Plasmagun, Mark of the Wulfen, Wolf Standard, Rhino) - 220
5 Wolf Scouts (x1 Meltagun, x5 Metabombs, Mark of the Wulfen) – 125

= 1490

I have the grey hunters already and I really do not want to go buy 1-2 melta blisters and I have like 10 Plasma Guns ... about to start buying the rhinos / razors (just mass razor kits)

Seirin
08-26-2012, 05:10 PM
To me this seems a really solid list. You have a lot of mobility, strong midfield presence and still have solid back-line support from the LF/lasbacks.

The only negatives I can see here are that you have very little CC threat, and any purist CC army that reaches you will grind you. Also, while you have a great setup to handle TEQ and MEQ armies, true hordes might cause you trouble just by weight of numbers.

All in all, nice lists. Will all depend on how you play them.

incenerate101
08-26-2012, 06:51 PM
I have to say I disagree. No matter what space wolves have a huge CC presence with counter attack. I would suggest putting some power fists in the squads. Other then that solid lists all around.

Seirin
08-26-2012, 07:33 PM
To ensure no misunderstandings...

I didn't mean at all that wolves were poor at CC, MotW with wolf standard makes for a potent mix, especially when factoring in just how versatile grey hunters are.

My point comes in when opposed by an army such as nids, CC chaos or even grey knights. Wolves are limited by their MEQ stats and armour, similarly to grey knights, and anything I5 or tough enough to take whatever the hunters throw out will usually flatten them.

Whereswaldo
08-26-2012, 07:56 PM
Thinking about swapping the scouts for a vindicator with siege shield ... might help for horde and could sit back with the LF and lasbacks. In my local meta they mainly play 750-1k due to time restrictions ... and im just now modeling (1 squad finished and about to start buying razorkits - have everything but them)

Ya I know what you mean about wolves vs solid cc armies ... the good thing about plasma is its a good heavy infantry killer and if it comes to assault it wont be a total slaughter.

incenerate101
08-26-2012, 08:00 PM
Ya I know what you mean about wolves vs solid cc armies ... the good thing about plasma is its a good heavy infantry killer and if it comes to assault it wont be a total slaughter.

exactly. Wolves have become a counter assault army. The tactic I win with 90% of the time with is abusing over watch. Put preasure on from half field and let the enemy come to you. They will do 1 of 2 things. 1 being run from your fire power or 2 assault you after you have softened them up allowing for a sweep in combat.

Seirin
08-26-2012, 08:01 PM
At 1k I struggle to think of anything you'll totally struggle against. Vindicators are OK, but 12" is a serious limiter - a lot of hordes have units with a larger charge range than that, but it's still a consideration.

Target priority, it's kinda my life-long headache as a player but really couldn't apply more to your lists.

Seirin
08-26-2012, 08:17 PM
exactly. Wolves have become a counter assault army. The tactic I win with 90% of the time with is abusing over watch. Put preasure on from half field and let the enemy come to you. They will do 1 of 2 things. 1 being run from your fire power or 2 assault you after you have softened them up allowing for a sweep in combat.

You are entirely assuming that the enemy doesn't soften YOU up first. As I said, you are only marines and die like them.

Whereswaldo
08-26-2012, 08:28 PM
Any advice at 1500 for what to replace the scouts with? ... the vindicator seems less and less appealing as I think about it.

Seirin
08-26-2012, 08:36 PM
I could see another priest or unit of long fangs being useful, even without the lasback on the fangs, its 4 more missiles to support your rhinos.

incenerate101
08-26-2012, 08:55 PM
I'd go with some wolf guard termies. They have great presence in combat and are great at contesting. Lightning claws and a terminator priest is just wrong. Long fangs are always good but makes your army very reliable on their presence. A large squad of sky claws with power fist are awesome in 6th considering they hit at I10 on the charge.

Seirin
08-26-2012, 09:01 PM
A single I10 attack....not all your attacks. And it's your unmodified S, not the power fist doubled S, or the AP2, but AP-. Plus iirc aren't sky claws WS/BS 3?

And you aren't getting a unit of wolf guard for 120~ pts.

incenerate101
08-26-2012, 09:14 PM
Read what was said again. He says that the vindicators aren't appealing to him anymore. He can easily afford wolf guard with cyclone missile launcher and a priest in terminator armor with those points.

As for the scouts they are great at coming in and raping a tank or two which will make up for their derpyness.

Seirin
08-26-2012, 09:24 PM
Considering that the vindicator was going to replace the scouts in the first place, it's still 125 points to play with.

Yes, in theory you could just about get 4 termies with storm bolter and power weapon - you need 5 to upgrade a cyclone. Thats also not including a priest which would be the 125 and more alone. This is assuming you don't want power fists or wolf claws etc.

Whereswaldo
09-01-2012, 08:25 AM
Ok this is the last version before I start scooping up razorback kits, I have everything but 3 melta marines (prolly going to ebay em or convert bolters to metlas) and the transports.

Space Wolves 750 Point
1 Rune Priest, (Runic Armor – Living Lighting, ________) – 120 (Pack Leader for the Long Fangs)
10 Grey Hunters (x2 Meltagun, Mark of the Wulfen Wolf Standard, Rhino) - 215

= 745

Space Wolves 1000 Point
1 Rune Priest, (Runic Armor – Living Lighting, ________) – 120 (Pack Leader for the Long Fangs)

= 965

Space Wolves 1500 Point

2 Rune Priest, (Runic Armor – Living Lighting, ________) – 240 (Pack Leaders for the Long Fangs)

= 1495

- I'll work the wargear out on the RP so they are legal at 1500 pt