PDA

View Full Version : 1500pt Lamenters "Vanilla" SM Codex

Judgeman
08-24-2012, 01:46 PM
Hey there everyone!

Just thought that I'd post my current army list here, it is a fairly fluffy Lamenters army with no heavy tanks. Comments and critique are not just welcome but encouraged! :D

HQ

Chapter Master w/ power fist, artificer armour

5 man honour guard w/ chapter banner, TH champion

Libarian: Force Dome, Null Zone

Elites

Ironclad Drednought w/ seismic hammer, additional DCCW, 2 Hunter Killer Missiles

Drop-pod w/ Stormbolter

5 man sternguard w/ 2 combi-meltas

Razorback w/ Twin linked Assault Cannons

Troops

10 man tactical squad w/ melta, plasma cannon and melta bomb sarge

Rhino

10 man tactical squad w/ melta, missile launcher and melta bomb sarge

Rhino

Fast Attack

Stormtalon Gunship w/ typhoon missile launcher

1495 pts

ElectricPaladin
08-24-2012, 02:06 PM
Hey there everyone!

Just thought that I'd post my current army list here, it is a fairly fluffy Lamenters army with no heavy tanks. Comments and critique are not just welcome but encouraged! :D

Awesome. Don't mind if I do...

HQ

Chapter Master w/ power fist, artificer armour
5 man honour guard w/ chapter banner, TH champion

Are you sure you sure you want to go with a chapter master if you're going for fluff? Don't forget, the Lamenter chapter master is a specific dude. This is going to seriously limit your painting and modeling options, not to mention potentially dictating your wargear options. On the other hand, if you go with a (relatively) lowly captain, you can play a fluffy list and still do whatever you want with your captain.

Libarian: Force Dome, Null Zone

I can't argue with that. Librarians are awesome.

Elites

Ironclad Dreadnought w/ seismic hammer, additional DCCW, 2 Hunter Killer Missiles
Drop-pod w/ Stormbolter

Given all the potentially devastating ranged weapons available to a dreadnought and the fact that a dreadnought can drop and fire all its weapons but can't drop and assault, I'm not sure why you've chosen to go with what's basically a melee-only dreadnought, HK missiles not withstanding. Close range weapons, like flamers and meltaguns, sure, but melee only? It seems like a missed opportunity.

5 man sternguard w/ 2 combi-meltas
Razorback w/ Twin linked Assault Cannons

I've only just started using sternguard, so I haven't got much to say about these dudes. Assault cannons on the razorback are a good choice, and have good synergy with the bolters.

Troops

10 man tactical squad w/ melta, plasma cannon and melta bomb sarge
Rhino

10 man tactical squad w/ melta, missile launcher and melta bomb sarge
Rhino

So, I've been playing a lot of Infinity for me - it's basically my main game right now - and that gets me thinking a lot about ranges. What you've got here is are tac squads that have one long range and one short range weapon. If you move the Rhino fast enough to really cover ground, you're going to be making snap shots with that missile launcher out the top. Once you reach your target, there are heavy weapons that are probably better for you, like a multi-melta, or plasma cannon.

I hear that plasma is going to be big in 6th.

Fast Attack

Stormtalon Gunship w/ typhoon missile launcher

1495 pts

I like Typhoons.

Anyway, there you go. My comments.

My question: can you tell me a little about your deployment and tactical thoughts?

Seirin
08-24-2012, 09:15 PM
Agreed with paladin about the chapter master point. Would perhaps suggest running a second librarian in place of the CM and playing a psychic lead army? Also consider using rule-book psychic lores for your libbys as they can offer a great deal.

Second the points about the dreadnoughts and tactical squads.

With the 300~ points you'd free up losing the CM and guard, you could consider an assault squad or a third tactical (shove a jump pack on libby if assault) and perhaps a predator with autocannon/heavy bolters. Gives you a little more shooty power and another 10-man squad to play with.

If you don't have an assault squad, my advice would be to find 40 points per librarian and put them in terminator armour with storm shields. 2+/3++ they can soak up stupid amounts of fire or hits in a challenge and with a force weapon they actually pose a threat to characters/etc.

Judgeman
10-02-2012, 05:58 PM
Hey there guys, thanks for all the input sadly I haven't been able to get back to this for the past two months as my home computer came down with a serious case of the DEAD but this did give me a fair amount of time of work on painting and I did manage to get through a few games using this list with some sadly mixed results. (Just a fair warning even I think this drags for way too long, still hoping for some critique and comments!)

So I thought that I would write a quick summary of how the units did in the first two games that I played. I hope to write full battle reports on these later so on with the show!

1. Grey Knights - Draigowing w/ Coteaz

OK I'll admit I was pretty ready to go into the fetal position once I saw my opponant rocking a tournament level list, you know the type Coteaz, henchmen, psycannons on everything, stormraven, psyfileman dreds... the works, but I was ready to make a go of it and do my Lamenters proud admittedly by dying in droves after the first turn and then hoping that when I broke out some emo poetry in memory of my lost marines he'd surrender hoping for me to stop. So as you can tell I wasn't very optimistic going into this one yet it turned out very differently to how I expected. So on with the unit run down. I won the roll to go first and we rolled up Crusade as the game type.

SM Chapter Master: Well there's no other way to put this... the only unit that consistantly sucked in all the games I played, in very lewd terms he blew his load with the orbital bombardment first turn in a deperate attempt to kill a big nasty unit or tank, usually missed and spent the rest of the timebabysitting a tactical squad squatting on an objective hardly a heroic performance.

Honour Guard: These guys where one of those units that fetched mixed results but in this game they where damn good, they ate a lot of stormbolter fire with no loses, took a charge from the paladins and in the insueing battle the TH champion killed Draigo in single combat! They really needed their Libby to cast Null Zone effectively weighting any battle including a unit with invunerable saves in my favour, but that 2+ armour and new power weapon rules really saved my bacon more than once.

Libby: As ElectricPaladin said he was simply awesome throughout, he blocked several powers with his hood and getting off null zone really screwed with Draigo and his unit when he failed his deny the witch roll and he even managed to force axe a paladin to death! Pretty much the complete anthisis of the SM Chapter Master next time I'll take be most definantly taking 2!

Ironclad in Drop-pod: Intended primarily as a freakout unit typically coming in first turn firing everything and coming across as a lot more dangerous than it actually was however I think I'm almost ready to swear by it now, with my oppants two psyfilemen placed extremely close and with the first turn advantage the dred proceded to melt the first one in short order before taking a single hull point in damage from the seconds' shooting due to the increase in front armour, before then meleeing the second to death with the seismic hammer. As if that wasn't enough I noticed coteaz and his squad in a Chimera camping on his home objective which the dred took care of with the hunter killers before chasing Coteaz (his warlord) and his squad Benny Hill style for the rest of the game. Without a doubt the most fun I have ever had with a single unit though I know it was down to an amazing streak of luck it wasn't totalled in the opening turns.

Sternguard: Sadly in this game at least the Sternguard weren't able to quite live up to all the good things that are said about them, but then again I was playing an army composed mainly of terminators so only piling on the wounds with hellfire rounds was my only option.

Tacticals: Well I had to take them really but I do agree with the points above the missile laucher really isn't worth it when I could get a plasma cannon or muli-melta for a small increase in points.

Storm Talon: During this game at least the Storm Talon did not come in until fairly late in the game by which time the game was pretty much over due to a bout of bad luck from my opponant and a streak of silly good rolls from myself, it's getting kind of late now though so I'd best just put this up before I fall asleep here, I do think this belongs somewhere that isn't in the Storm Talon entery or that this entire thing should be moved to battle reports since it sort of turned into one after reading it over and I do have a new list I'll try to put up tomorrow provided my computer doesn't contract another bout of the black death.