PDA

View Full Version : How to kill Necrons!?

Renegade
08-24-2012, 01:41 PM
I have a new army to add to the list of ones I don't like facing, bloody 'crons, as they just will not die!

Anybody worked out a way to kick shiny metal butt consistently?

ElectricPaladin
08-24-2012, 01:50 PM
Well, the first thing you need to do is focus fire like crazy. The best way to make sure that a Necron unit stays down is to wipe out the squad. That will help you kill their infantry - I can't speak to the rest of the Necron codex.

Filthspew
08-24-2012, 02:10 PM
Get into cc, they are durable but their damage output is in shooting.

Try to engage them in a place where you wont be shoot to bits when combat is over.

Overwhelm them with numbers if you are able. Lots of cheap wounds.

And, as noted above, saturate them with wounds. Lots of AP3 large blasts.

Since I dont know what you play, its hard to be specific.

DarkLink
08-24-2012, 02:16 PM
Focus fire is your friend. Shoot a unit dead, and it can't come back. Wipe it in assault, and it can't come back. There are some limitations and caveats, so know the Reanimation Protocol rules, but that's the general idea.

Just keep your tooled-up character away from the Lord with Mind Shackle Scarabs.

ElectricPaladin
08-24-2012, 02:21 PM

Try to engage them in a place where you wont be shoot to bits when combat is over.

Close combat is an especially good idea against Necrons. Don't forget that getting a sweeping advance automatically destroys the unit outright and prevents reanimation rolls.

Renegade
08-24-2012, 02:22 PM

Imperial Guard, so going into CC is an option I would preferably avoid. Sure I get to strike first, but need 5s to do anything. Necron warriors come in squads the same size as mine, so its not like I can reliably out number them.

I have more fire power, but gauss + tesla + heat ray+ death ray = :eek: :mad::mad::mad:

Can't let my vehicles close, and IG out of mech die horribly.

imperialpower
08-25-2012, 09:50 AM
One of my regular opponents is a Necron army and I have three guard armies I often use if not using my Eldar, I lure him into a nice big pile of guardsmen and conscripts to slow him down while my leman russ and las cannon batteries take out his anti tank units also deep striking small squads of storm troopers with melta weapons to take out any Lords since they are lacking in the wounds department. Like what has been mentioned if you can destroy squads instead of spreading your fire power the blighters can't get back up that seems to be the main thing to do against Necorns.

Filthspew
08-25-2012, 12:40 PM
Imperial Guard, so going into CC is an option I would preferably avoid. Sure I get to strike first, but need 5s to do anything. Necron warriors come in squads the same size as mine, so its not like I can reliably out number them.

I have more fire power, but gauss + tesla + heat ray+ death ray = :eek: :mad::mad::mad:

Can't let my vehicles close, and IG out of mech die horribly.

I so disagree!

But a cc IG army has to be built specificly for that, so you probably dont have the models for such a build.

Straken, Creed and Ministorium priests can make IG infantry a wave of death in cc.
You can make huge units.
You can make them stay forever, come back when once in a blue moon they run (Get back in the fight, Commisar).
Rough riders will make their points back for sure, but has to avoid getting shot.

Some other ideas from the top of my head:
Porcupine wall (Basilisk spam).
Ratling spam to take out characters with Necron "cheat" wargear (Resurection orb, Mind shackle Scarabs).
HW teams with mortars might work ( I just thought of it), and are also pinning.

Necrons hate being pinned, maybe spam barrage, snipers, mortars and battle psychers (Weaken resolve).

Deadlift
08-25-2012, 01:02 PM
Allies could be a good idea too.

I find a Libby with TDA and storm shield, with a squad of TH and SS termies. It's enough to upset anybody's day.

Renegade
08-25-2012, 03:50 PM
I so disagree!

But a cc IG army has to be built specificly for that, so you probably dont have the models for such a build.

Straken, Creed and Ministorium priests can make IG infantry a wave of death in cc.
You can make huge units.
You can make them stay forever, come back when once in a blue moon they run (Get back in the fight, Commisar).
Rough riders will make their points back for sure, but has to avoid getting shot.

Yeah, and thats two SCs... I don't really like using SCs. I get what you are saying though.

Some other ideas from the top of my head:
Porcupine wall (Basilisk spam).
Ratling spam to take out characters with Necron "cheat" wargear (Resurection orb, Mind shackle Scarabs).
HW teams with mortars might work ( I just thought of it), and are also pinning.

Necrons hate being pinned, maybe spam barrage, snipers, mortars and battle psychers (Weaken resolve).

So basically go old school :cool: