PDA

View Full Version : Techmarine Servo-Harness and Extra Attacks

ElectricPaladin
08-22-2012, 11:04 AM
The Techmarine Servo-Arm grants an additional Strength 8, Initiative 1, AP 1 (?) attack. The Servo-Harness grants 2 Strength 8, Initiative 1, AP 1 (?) attacks. It also gives him a twin-linked plasma pistol, a flamer, and the ability to fire two, rather than one, of his three shooting weapons in the shooting phase.

My question is this: if the Techmarine is armed with a close combat weapon, like a power weapon or chainsword, does the Servo-Harness's twin-linked plasma pistol grant an additional attack?

Thanks in advance.

Xenith
08-22-2012, 11:13 AM
I would believe so. More importantly, if you arm (pun unintentional) him with another plasma pistol (I think you can...), he can use the gunslinger rule to fire both, giving you 2plasma shots, one twin linked, and then a flamer.

ElectricPaladin
08-22-2012, 11:25 AM
I would believe so. More importantly, if you arm (pun unintentional) him with another plasma pistol (I think you can...), he can use the gunslinger rule to fire both, giving you 2plasma shots, one twin linked, and then a flamer.

The Gunslinger rule is actually: "all models with two pistols can fire both in the Shooting phase. This follows the normal rules for shooting." This opens up the significantly cheaper (and safer) option of arming a techmarine with power weapon and bolt pistol. That way they get the extra attack and get to fire three guns in shooting, and for a measly 40 points over the basic profile (rather than 55).

I'm definitely very happy with my choice to buy those Techmarine bits I found for cheap on eBay. I have a spare Space Marine body, and it looks like a Techmarine will be an excellent addition to my Librarian/Sternguard/Drop Pod squad...

Foxdonut
08-22-2012, 11:26 AM
The SM codex specificaly states that the plasma cutter can be fired AS a plasma pistol but cannont be used in close combat. so no.

Xenith
08-22-2012, 11:27 AM
Fair enough ,i haven't read the harness entry in a while

Foxdonut
08-22-2012, 11:31 AM
yeah i had to look it up right now, at least it gives you two free armor ignoring attacks. kinda a big deal in 6th.

ElectricPaladin
08-22-2012, 11:34 AM
The SM codex specificaly states that the plasma cutter can be fired AS a plasma pistol but cannont be used in close combat. so no.

Damn. How did I miss that?

But does it still trigger the gunslinger rule with a bolt/plasma pistol?

Foxdonut
08-22-2012, 11:38 AM
i didnt even know about the gunslinger rule before reading this, hey its a big book, but it definatly counts as a pistol in the shooting phase. Yeah just checked id say he can fire the plasma cutter and a pistol since they both shoot as pistols.

Xenith
08-22-2012, 11:45 AM
Indeed, I only realised the gunslinger/tech thing when I posted earlier, he's a very good toolbox for a shooty unit, and the flamer gives you the overwatch d3 hits for anything charging them.

ElectricPaladin
08-22-2012, 11:47 AM
i didnt even know about the gunslinger rule before reading this, hey its a big book, but it definatly counts as a pistol in the shooting phase. Is gunslinger confered onto models with two pistols or universal special rule the model needs to have in their entry?

The text is: "all models with two pistols can fire both in the Shooting phase. This follows the normal rules for shooting" - BRB p52.

The plasma cutter says "...a plasma cutter (fired in the shooting phase as a twin-linked plasma pistol..." - Space Marines Codex p71.

Now, the Servo-Harness/Power Weapon/Pistol techmarine does not, in fact, have two pistols. He has a pistol and a piece of equipment that fires as a pistol. The question is does having a pistol and a thing that fires as a pistol count as having two pistols?

This begins to look to me like it needs to be FAQed. I'll make a techmarine anyway (I already ordered the bits, anyway) :D.

Foxdonut
08-22-2012, 11:49 AM
heh ive been wanting to make double plasma pistol vanguard vets for the looks, now i might actualy do it for laughs.

Tynskel
08-22-2012, 02:08 PM
This does not need to be FAQed.

The rules are quite clear. If you have 2 pistols, you get to fire both. Since the servo harness plasma cutter fires as a plasma pistol, it is a pistol. If you have a second pistol, you get fire both. Since you are allowed to fire an additional weapon, then you fire the flamer, too! Wheeee!

bfmusashi
08-23-2012, 07:42 AM
I'm going to say it doesn't need a FAQ at all but I only have the GK 'dex to go off of. Since they're all written by the same guy I imagine they're somewhat consistent.
"In the shooting phase the the Techmarine can either fire both harness-mounted weapons, or one harness mount and another gun." p32

Chris*ta
08-23-2012, 01:21 PM
Since they're all written by the same guy I imagine they're somewhat consistent.

GW rules described as consistent. LOL.

Now I only hope we can argue that the servo harness means the techmarine can fire 2 weapons when he gets charged.

I have thought for ages (since well before 6th) that the Master of the Forge is the sleeper hit of the SM HQ section. With bolt pistol and power weapon he's quite cheap, he has a 2+ save, (even better in 6th!) he's very good in HtH (WS 4 isn't really much of a drawback) he significantly improves a Tac squad's shooting and he's got his special rules too! Oh, and you can put him on a bike as well.

bfmusashi
08-23-2012, 03:40 PM
In the grim darkness of the 41st millennium there is only the chromed hog of the Master of the Forge.