PDA

View Full Version : Random Powers: The Death of the Epistolary Upgrade?

ElectricPaladin
08-22-2012, 10:33 AM
Something I've been considering is whether the random powers chart makes the epistolary upgrade completely obsolete.

The thing is, back when you could pick your powers, you use the upgrade to pick a pair of powers that worked well in tandem. For example: an offensive power to replace the librarian's shooting and a defensive power to keep him and his squad alive. The Blood Angels "Shield of Sanguinius" and "Any Other Power" combo comes to mind.

Now that you have to roll for powers, the option is suddenly a lot less attractive. Rolling two support or defensive powers isn't so bad, since you can always switch one out for that discipline's primaris power, most of which are offensive powers. However, what happens if I roll two shooting powers! It's the most likely outcome, and it leaves me in a situation where the 50 points I spent on the upgrade are almost totally wasted.

What do you think? Is the Epistolary dead in 6th Edition?

Kyban
08-22-2012, 10:48 AM
I believe it is more important, the defensive power was generally used on your opponent's turn so you only need ML1 and you can cast the other power on your turn then shield on their turn. Now I think all of the book powers are cast on your turn so you need ML2 to cast both.

zenjah
08-22-2012, 11:19 AM
Now that you have to roll for powers, the option is suddenly a lot less attractive.

Rolling for random powers is optional. You can still pick your powers from the codex if you prefer.

ElectricPaladin
08-22-2012, 11:27 AM
Rolling for random powers is optional. You can still pick your powers from the codex if you prefer.

For now. I'll bet you a land raider that this will go away once the new codices arrive. I'd rather start getting used to the new powers now than wait and be unpleasantly surprised.

DarkLink
08-22-2012, 11:35 AM
The Epistolary upgrade was dead in 5th, because that's way too expensive of an upgrade. But, if anything, 6th made it slightly more acceptable because you now have access to a greater range of powers while retaining the same old options. More options are rarely a bad thing.

Anggul
08-22-2012, 02:58 PM
For now. I'll bet you a land raider that this will go away once the new codices arrive. I'd rather start getting used to the new powers now than wait and be unpleasantly surprised.

If that's the case, it will only be so for Eldar (I really hope not, Doom and Fortune are just so much better than the Divination power which makes the enemy re-roll saves and the one which gives you a 4++) and maybe Dark Angels (in which case the current codex powers suck anyway). It's not like Blood Angels, Space Wolves or Grey Knights are going to get a new codex for a long, long, long time, and supposedly the new Chaos codex is going to have a Tzeentch discipline at least.

DrLove42
08-23-2012, 05:16 AM

Random powers is optoinal.

And your argument here suggests that when a new book comes out that means you have to roll for powers, the rules for Epistolary won't change as well

Tynskel
08-23-2012, 05:36 AM
an epistolary is an upgrade, and like all upgrades, it depends on the make up of the army that determines how useful the epistolary upgrade is.

I use it, but only in conjunction with storm shield, so it is an expensive 2 W model, but in 6th, 2+ armor goes a long way, now. A second power is really useful, and quite frankly, I like the Blood Angels powers for Epistolaries. Str 10, yes please! D3 extra attacks, yes please! Re-rolls to hit for the squad, yes please! etc.

evilamericorp
08-23-2012, 01:50 PM
Step 1. Play Space Wolves
Step 2. Roll Divination powers
Step 3...
Step 4. Profit