PDA

View Full Version : Tzeentch-Aligned Traitor Guard Allied Detachment

Kawauso
08-20-2012, 05:31 PM
Goals:
To create a flavourful allied detachment for my Thousand Sons (who are awaiting a new book).
To have these allies provide something worthwhile to the army from a tabletop perspective - this is important, as allies soak up a decent amount of points. Speaking of which...
To keep the allied detachment around 600-700 points for games of around ~2000 points. Basically just keeping the cost down while delivering on the other goals, to avoid diluting the main army.
To avoid abusing the ally system with min/max shenanigans - this is for fluff and fun as much as anything else.

So with that in mind, here's the list I've come up with:

HQ
Primaris Psyker - 70pts

TROOPS
Infantry Platoon - 395pts
Platoon Command Squad;
Medi-pack, vox caster, 2x plasma gun, Chimera w/ turret autocannon

Infantry Squad;
Vox caster, flamer, Chimera w/ turret autocannon

Infantry Squad;
Vox caster, flamer, Chimera w/ turret autocannon

HEAVY SUPPORT
Manticore Rocket Launcher - 160pts

Total: 625pts
26 infantry models with a total of 2 flamers, 2 plasma guns and a psyker with access to most of the disciplines in the BRB
4 vehicles with a total of 3 autocannons, 4 heavy bolters and 4 Storm Eagle Rockets

I think this offers a fair representation of renegade IG who might work under Tzeentch-aligned CSM. It also offers a decent number of scoring bodies to the table (made less squishy thanks to transports) and some cost-effective vehicle saturation. Seems like it will have decent fire output, too - particularly if I keep all of the units close together (except the Manticore), effectively using them as a miniature strike force for securing objectives, capable of operating independently of the main marine force. I also think that what this detachment offers is, importantly, something that won't necessarily be easy to find in the CSM codex proper.

None of the models are assembled yet, but what I do have so far to work with/in the mail is:
The contents of 2 IG battleforces (planning on using the remaining models for other armies)
3 Chimeras
1 Manticore
3 FW renegade IG conversion kits and 3 renegade weapon arm kits.

I'd love to hear some input on this though, if anyone has something for me to mull over - particularly before I get any models put together.

incenerate101
08-20-2012, 09:03 PM
Id have to say I like the concept and cant wait to see the army put together and painted.

Are your guard going to feature deformation in anyway? Considering the constant exposure to the thousand sons magic! I think it would add a fantastic facade to the army while adding to the Chaos feel of the army as a whole.

Have you thought about Tactics at all?

Kawauso
08-20-2012, 11:40 PM
Thanks! Looking forward to it, myself. :)

As for mutations, here's the thing: I love how Chaos corrupts people in the fluff and whatnot...but I think that the vast majority of the time mutations on the models just wind up looking goofy. I just can't really get into them (which is part of the reason I love the Thousand Sons). To that end, my traitor guardsmen won't have any visible mutations. I'm just going to be using the renegade conversion kits from Forge World. Suitably chaotic-looking without any goofy tentacles or what have you.

http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Images/Product/AlternativeFW/large/Renmil2.jpg

I'll just say they're really ugly under their masks and helmets. ;)

As for tactics, what I have in mind is roughly as follows:
1 - Screening:
Use the guardsmen as expendable meat shields for the more valuable chaos marines. Force the opponent to deal with the Chimeras and their cargo before they can get to the marines. Get in range and use those flamers and psychic powers (I have no idea what powers I'll go for on that psyker). Use the three squads and their transports in tandem to take down targets with weight of fire and hopefully through that minimize the damage of any potential assaults. Ultimately, however, the guardsmen are expendable as anything they do will be in order to help the marines achieve the mission objectives.

2- Objective-Grab:
Use the guardsmen as a small strike force, and task them with going after an objective that they have a reasonable chance of capturing and holding. Essentially treat them as their own small army separate from the main CSM force. Between their Chimeras and the psyker (depending on powers) they should have a decent chance at taking an objective in the midfield or off to the side provided its in some terrain.

In either case, I don't want the guardsmen sitting idly by - hence the flamers and plasma guns over heavy weapons, as well as the mobility their transports provide. I want to use them as the vanguard and ensure that they take the brunt of any casualties over my more valuable and more capable marines.
No matter the scenario the Manticore is going to hang back and prioritize either valuable armoured targets or providing a creeping barrage for the heretic advance. It will most likely be guarded by some sort of backfield marine presence.

incenerate101
08-21-2012, 12:55 AM
I like the look of the guard and the tactics seem almost evil in the amount of frustration i could see evolving on the battlefield for your opponent! I expect it to be pure Chaos. Ha see what i did there?

I have to say you have inspired me to dig out my old Chaos stuff and pursue a similar army of my own! Kudos sir.

Learn2Eel
08-21-2012, 02:15 AM
I've had the same idea as you recently - I've even ditched my Grey Knights and am going full force on Chaos for a while. The other armies I have are good and all, but they just don't match the feel and look of Chaos in all its twisted glory.

I was thinking of running a 1500 Prospero Guard list, keeping those elements for when the new Chaos 'Dex comes out as an allied detachment. My guard are more the blob-guard gunline types though; I've got six Medusa Heavy Artillery Batteries and three Hydra Batteries, all for 750 points :D Death Korps styled Chaotic fun.

Interested to see how this army goes for you! As for modelling, I think I'll wait and see how the new Cultist models shape up. If they aren't to my liking, I think a mutated Stormtrooper look will do for the Guardsmen :cool:

DrLove42
08-21-2012, 02:27 AM
This is going to sound a bit weak, but maybe wait for the Chaos dex to see where they're weak to choose.

Things like the infantry and the physker is a good choice, and very fluffy. But wait and see how the chaos dex turns out before deciding on your options. Use it to counter their weaknesses. Manticores are good, but Vendettas might be great if Chaos Airpower is a bit weak for instance

Kawauso
08-21-2012, 08:47 AM
This is going to sound a bit weak, but maybe wait for the Chaos dex to see where they're weak to choose.

Things like the infantry and the physker is a good choice, and very fluffy. But wait and see how the chaos dex turns out before deciding on your options. Use it to counter their weaknesses. Manticores are good, but Vendettas might be great if Chaos Airpower is a bit weak for instance

You have a good point. The way I look at it right now, though is this:
The cheap bodies and vehicles are something that it's pretty much guaranteed Chaos won't be able to offer in combination. Yes, we know they'll get cultists, but it's unlikely the Cultists will get Chimeras, and it's a given that they won't unlock something like the Manticore.
No matter what benefits the new CSM army does gain, I think it's pretty safe to say that the amount of firepower a single Manticore can put out is something that the marines would have trouble matching - D3 S10 large blast barrages is a pretty unique weapon profile. I think it will bolster the heavy support of the army nicely by offering something that chaos marines are pretty unlikely to be able to do on their own.

That being said, this is just one facet of a possible allied detachment that I'm looking into - the 'default' position, as it were. If it seems that CSM need some shoring up with flyers, then Valkyries or Vendettas are certainly going to look appealing. :) I'd don't have a FA slot yet, so there's room for them. I also haven't used an Elite slot yet - that one - I think it's only natural - will probably go to a counts-as Psyker Battle Squad (finding suitable models for them is going to be a pain, though).

As far as support for flyers and the like, though, I have a feeling the new CSM book won't need much help there based on the rumours we've been hearing and the fact they're likely the first book of 6th. They're probably going to have access to a reasonable amount of skyfire platforms and the rumours about their own flyer, if true, indicate it would be a formidable aircraft in its own right.

Like you said though, there's no harm in waiting to see. Nothing is set in stone at this point, at least.

I appreciate the input, as well as the enthusiasm that others seem to have for this project of mine. Thanks all. :)