PDA

View Full Version : IG orders and Interceptor

Turner
08-20-2012, 08:38 AM
For the purposes of this question let's assume a Imperial Guard Squad with an autocannon (so a 7 lasgun guys, the squad leader and the heavy weapons squad) have the interceptor USR. An enemy flier arrives from reserve within range and line of sight to the IG squad so they shoot at it. (Who cares what happens). Now it's the IG player's turn... Can the IG player order that same 10 man squad to "Bring it down" or "Fire on my target" (could be at the same target or some other valid target who cares, yes I know "Bring it down can only be issued against vehicles/MC's/Flying MC's but that's not the point) and effectively circumvent the can't shoot twice penaltly from the interceptor rule?

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
08-20-2012, 08:41 AM
So in what way are they getting Interceptor?
From firing a Gun Emplacement?

Turner
08-20-2012, 08:46 AM
(Thank the emprah it's not just me)

For the purposes of this thread, let's assume that they just naturally have it. Also sure, if they are using the Quadgun which has skyfire and interceptor. So question 1) They have it naturally and question 2) they are using the Quadgun.

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
08-20-2012, 08:52 AM
Well, they can't just have it, so let's go with hypothesis 2.

Only 1 model uses the Quad Gun, therefore only 1 model is unable to fire again. That's what I'd say, but I don't particularly have any references to back it up though.
So that guy fires using Interceptor, then the rest of his squad can fire the turn afterwards.

Turner
08-20-2012, 09:30 AM
Cool. Just to make sure, however, but that line of reasoning (not saying it is wrong, nor that it is right) if the squad did "just have" the interceptor rule they still wouldn't be able to fire via the IG order. (Normally they wouldn't be able to fire their next shooting phase but what with the IG orders and the way they interact with other stuff being a little odd I'd figure I'd ask)

Specifically when either order is issued the both state "the ordered unit immediately shoots" and then they both diverge at that point, one becoming twinlinked where the other forces the enemy to reroll successful cover saves.

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
08-20-2012, 09:37 AM
It's like Bladestorm, I can't Overwatch if I used Bladestorm in the previous turn.

Turner
08-20-2012, 10:02 AM
O.o Isn't it the excate opposite? Bladestorm and overwatch would be a specific case of the codex says you cannot shoot next time (para phrasing) and the main rule book says you can shoot at this specific time, where the IG orders and Intercept is a case of Main rule book says you can't shoot next time (again para phrasing) and the IG codex says you immediately shoot... Bringing us to the "Codex > Main Rule Book" rule.

bfmusashi
08-20-2012, 10:11 AM
P38 BRB under Interceptor "If this rule has been used, the weapon can not be fired in the next turn, but the firing model can shoot a different weapon than this one." It is not the shooting model, but the weapon that can not fire again.

Kevlarshark
08-20-2012, 10:18 AM
(beaten to it by bfmusashi)

The first problem in your scenario is that it looks like weapons are assigned the interceptor rule not units so interceptor does not interact well with squads.

The interceptor description on p38 pretty much covers this...
"If this rule is used the weapon may not be fired in the next turn, but the firing model may shoot a different weapon if it has one."
So if your IG squad shoots their Quad gun then they are free to shoot their other guns in the next turn.

In your other scenario where the squad has somehow has interceptor naturally (which I don't think can happen).

Orders don't 'override' what ever state the unit is in. For example, If a squad is pinned I could not use "first rank fire, second rank fire" to give them back their shooting for that turn.

So if the squad shoots using the interceptor rule any weapon they fired cannot be used in the next shooting phase (as stated in the interceptor rule). They way the rule is written seems to indicate that they could fire their Squad Heavy weapon at the arriving flyer and then use their lasguns to shoot something else in the following turn.

Kyban
08-20-2012, 10:32 AM
Orders don't 'override' what ever state the unit is in. For example, If a squad is pinned I could not use "first rank fire, second rank fire" to give them back their shooting for that turn.

It would just be snapfire now IIRC.

Turner
08-20-2012, 04:39 PM
(beaten to it by bfmusashi)

The first problem in your scenario is that it looks like weapons are assigned the interceptor rule not units so interceptor does not interact well with squads.

The interceptor description on p38 pretty much covers this...
"If this rule is used the weapon may not be fired in the next turn, but the firing model may shoot a different weapon if it has one."
So if your IG squad shoots their Quad gun then they are free to shoot their other guns in the next turn.

In your other scenario where the squad has somehow has interceptor naturally (which I don't think can happen).

So if the squad shoots using the interceptor rule any weapon they fired cannot be used in the next shooting phase (as stated in the interceptor rule). They way the rule is written seems to indicate that they could fire their Squad Heavy weapon at the arriving flyer and then use their lasguns to shoot something else in the following turn.

That, something like that makes sense and is specifically what I was looking for. Thanks!

Also as a side note

It would just be snapfire now IIRC.

You can't issue orders to units that have gone to ground, unless the order specifically states you can. (like get back in the fight.)

Xenith
08-21-2012, 07:08 AM
It's like Bladestorm, I can't Overwatch if I used Bladestorm in the previous turn.
Overwatch says that they may not fire in their next shooting phase. There is nothing about not being able shoot in your opponents assault phase.