PDA

View Full Version : UK BoLs Playdate?

Mr Mystery
08-18-2012, 05:42 AM
Afternoon my Lords and Ladies,

As I sit inside, avoiding the brutal sunshine, and watching Stargate in just my pants, my mind has had a little wander, and has come back with a rather pleasing idea.

How would you guys feel about a non-Gamesday BoLs meet up and gaming day up at Warhammer World some time? I for one would really like to play against the people I interact with on here on a daily basis, not to mention then go for a couple of pints in Bugmans afterwards.

All those in favour say 'Mr Mystery is hella cool'

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
08-18-2012, 05:43 AM
MR MYSTERY IS HELLA COOL!

I'm so game for a meet up. :D

DrLove42
08-18-2012, 05:47 AM
Would be cool. But WHW is a marathon trek away for some folks (like 4-5 houfs from here)

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
08-18-2012, 05:48 AM
Meh, 3 hours for me. I have to go down to Birming'nam to go to Nottingham.

Deadlift
08-18-2012, 05:56 AM
You may be able to twist my arm, losers buy the drinks in bugmans :)

Mr Mystery
08-18-2012, 09:51 AM
Sounds like a good idea to me!!

Wonder how many we could get to congregate?

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
08-18-2012, 09:52 AM
alshrive would be good for it.

Denzark
08-18-2012, 09:53 AM
I would come. Don't let that put you off though...

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
08-18-2012, 09:54 AM
I would come. Don't let that put you off though...

:D

david5th
08-18-2012, 10:17 AM
"Mr Mystery is hella cool"

Just give me some notice so i can book weekend off from work.

Psychosplodge
08-18-2012, 10:23 AM
but I don't play anymore, I just enjoy the background.... :(

Also is the watching stargate in your pants integral to the story?

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
08-18-2012, 10:25 AM
No........

ragnarcissist
08-18-2012, 10:38 AM
my cuz who i hope to visit later in the summer lives in orpington(?) IIRC. how long of a commute would that be to warhammer world? i want to see that rhino haha might be a pain to travel with my army tho....

Bigred
08-18-2012, 10:39 AM
Anyone who goes to WHW is hereby deputized as BoLS novitiate level Vanus Assassins.

Use all your skills and senses to collect all the useful info you can while on the premises - don't forget the beer samples :)

Mr Mystery
08-18-2012, 10:40 AM
my cuz who i hope to visit later in the summer lives in orpington(?) IIRC. how long of a commute would that be? might be a pain to travel with my army tho....

Orpington is on the main line to London. Get to London, train to Nottingham. It's doable, but like take you about 4 hours all in?

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
08-18-2012, 10:43 AM
Anyone who goes to WHW is hereby deputized as BoLS novitiate level Vanus Assassins.

Use all your skills and senses to collect all the useful info you can while on the premises - don't forget the beer samples :)

Indeed my Jarl.

Psychosplodge
08-18-2012, 10:58 AM
don't forget the beer samples :)

http://fortnightlitpress.files.wordpress.com/2011/05/knapp01.png?w=480

Denzark
08-18-2012, 12:18 PM
Obviously the key to this is putting a date mahoosively in the future - trying to do it in the next 8 weeks wouldn't work.

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
08-18-2012, 12:20 PM
November? Me and alshrive were planning on going in November anyway.

Mr Mystery
08-18-2012, 12:23 PM
Will need to get my shift pattern from work before I can be sure. Should have that in the next 3 weeks.

May even treat myself to an over night stay in a hotel!!

Denzark
08-18-2012, 12:51 PM
I'm already going to throne of Skulls in Nov...

Herzlos
08-18-2012, 01:58 PM
Make it Thusday and you're on.

Alternatively, I'd probably be able to come down for the weekend given enough notice (and not in December) for a day of games. It's only a 5 hour drive each way :eek:

fuzzbuket
08-18-2012, 02:08 PM
yeah i should be able to go :D as long as i can get a train that dosnt mean ill have to wake up at like 3 in the morning :P*

oh and do they let under 18's in bugmans? or am i exiled to standing outside looking sad? :

*aka dont have it starting really early, if it starts at after half 1 thatd be good (later the better)

Denzark
08-18-2012, 02:15 PM
Fuzzy 2 things:

Firstly, they let in under 18s. They'd have to, you can't get to the bogs otherwise!

Secondly, you would be 18 for the duration of the event.

We're on the vodka unless you go all Scottish on us and want Whiskey.

Work out what year you were born, commit to memory.

Capiche?

:D

SotonShades
08-18-2012, 03:37 PM
Denzark, don't putupon the barstaff like that. They do a difficult job for very low pay and can lose a lot if even tricked into serving an underage person. For that matter fuzz, we can all start earlier and just see you when you arrive :)

I would be most deffinitely in, being less than an hour's drive away. DrLove, you know you are more or less always welcome to stay here the night before. Same goes for most of the rest of you, but the house is only of a certain size... :p

I think we could get a good number of people heading up there.

Do we have anyone here who hasn't not made the pilgramage before?

SotonShades
08-18-2012, 03:40 PM
http://fortnightlitpress.files.wordpress.com/2011/05/knapp01.png?w=480

No need. Bugman's XXXXXX is... well, a fairly typical Pale Ale. Nothing of note at least. Troll Brew is an all right fairly stanrd bitter. All the rest are what you'd find at more or less any bar in Britain. But how often to you get to drink them under an anvil, a severd Orc's head and a host of other fantasy paraphinalia!

Denzark
08-18-2012, 04:38 PM
Denzark, don't putupon the barstaff like that. They do a difficult job for very low pay and can lose a lot if even tricked into serving an underage person. For that matter fuzz, we can all start earlier and just see you when you arrive :)

I would be most deffinitely in, being less than an hour's drive away. DrLove, you know you are more or less always welcome to stay here the night before. Same goes for most of the rest of you, but the house is only of a certain size... :p

I think we could get a good number of people heading up there.

Do we have anyone here who hasn't not made the pilgramage before?

Soton you are the voice of reason - I'll look after Fuzz...

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
08-18-2012, 04:52 PM
This sounds like a plan guys! :D

Deadlift
08-18-2012, 05:23 PM
There seems to be a premier inn near by, depending on the dates, I could seriously be into this. Wife is away on a course and I have the NEC Bike show as well in Nov, but other than that. I'm FREEEEEEEEE.

DrLove42
08-19-2012, 02:17 AM
Well for me im booked up more or less till the new year now. I think if you want to organise things right yoj should put it in the new year.

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
08-19-2012, 02:21 AM
Right, we need to make spreadsheets and charts. :p

david5th
08-19-2012, 02:59 AM
If it could be the 3rd weekend in November - 17th/18th, that is the only time I have free in November. All other weekends are already booked with hobby based events.

fuzzbuket
08-19-2012, 03:02 AM
ive not been befor :/ however as apparently there is a premier inn nearby i probably could just arrive the day before in the evening? :D

also no need to sneak me into bugmans: the only time i ever have a chance winning is if the rest of you are drunk :P (and frankly one can never have enough ginger beer/mountain dew!)

and yes LET THE SPREAD SHEETS COMMENCE

olberon
08-19-2012, 03:45 AM
sounds like a plan, slight problem is im in Holland, so travelling time wont make up for time played (even with pints)

i am planning a vacation to the UK tho ;)

fuzzbuket
08-19-2012, 04:28 AM
oh good it appears that warhammer world is litreally right next to the station :D (and the premier in is between the 2!)
and if it starts at 1 or 2 i should be able to be at the start!

yay for google maps!

energongoodie
08-19-2012, 05:31 AM
Work depending...I'm in! :)

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
08-19-2012, 05:40 AM
I like this plan.

Mr Mystery
08-19-2012, 05:59 AM
oh good it appears that warhammer world is litreally right next to the station :D (and the premier in is between the 2!)

yay for google maps!

It's a wee but further than you think, but if you know the way, the canal side walk is pretty tame. Except for the Goose poo, which is bloody everywhere!! On the bright side, most Taxi drivers will know where they're going.

I think if we nail this well, could happily be the first of many!

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
08-19-2012, 06:01 AM
Indeed! I am a fan of the idea of BoLSCON UK.

Mr Mystery
08-19-2012, 06:53 AM
Just an idea, but anyone up for silly awards?

I'm thinking siggable titles, like Jammiest Git, Fightiest, Most Cunnin' etc? Just little badges of pride/shame. I'd be able to take 'Beardy Weirdy' in good humour!

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
08-19-2012, 06:56 AM
YES.

This shall be done!

Quick all! Make a list of trophy names!

DrLove42
08-19-2012, 07:17 AM
Just remember, WHW no longer allow external comps. So wed ha e to do it just as a bunch of casual games, getting different people to book tables, or look somewhere else

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
08-19-2012, 07:19 AM
But this isn't a comp, it's a bunch of dudes playing games.

fuzzbuket
08-19-2012, 08:12 AM
with some other dude walking round with a bit of paper tallying scores :P

as for trophies:

1) win.rar : won the most games but didnt buy a ticket to bolscon UK (there will be no tickets)
2) I SWEAR IM BETTER ON OTHER DAYS, THE ADVICE I GIVE ON THE INTERNET IS LEGIT: wooden spoon prize:
3) nicest chap: overall comp winner
4)HOW MUCH FREE TIME DO YOU HAVE?: nicest painted army
5)jammiest git: winner of the luckiest moment
6) beardiest: whoever has the best beard.

FOR UNIQUE ARMY COMMANDERS (if you have more than 1 pick 1 to be eligible, and keep a tally)

6)I AM INVINCIBLE: the model that shrugged off the most wounds with saves. aka that 1 ork boy that withstood a full bladestorm ect,
6)fightiest: whoever got into the most CC's
7) shootiest: whoever infilicted the most shooting hits
8) khorn's adopted son: whatever IC killed the most (epidermus's grots dont count)

any more ideas?

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
08-19-2012, 08:21 AM
You know that the Epidemius thing officially doesn't work now right?

Mr Mystery
08-19-2012, 08:44 AM
Just remember, WHW no longer allow external comps. So wed ha e to do it just as a bunch of casual games, getting different people to book tables, or look somewhere else

Is just a loosely organised meet up. With bragging rights on offer!

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
08-19-2012, 08:46 AM
Indeed!

Psychosplodge
08-19-2012, 11:49 AM
No need. Bugman's XXXXXX is... well, a fairly typical Pale Ale. Nothing of note at least. Troll Brew is an all right fairly stanrd bitter. All the rest are what you'd find at more or less any bar in Britain. But how often to you get to drink them under an anvil, a severd Orc's head and a host of other fantasy paraphinalia!

Challange completed? without trying?

Right, we need to make spreadsheets and charts. :p

lols

Wildeybeast
08-19-2012, 02:33 PM
I'd been thinking about this very same thing the other day, it's spooky mystery came up with the same thing. I venture there every month or so, so I'm pretty sure I can make the 20 minutes down Brian Clough way, depending on when it is. I'm in providing life doesn't get in the way.

my cuz who i hope to visit later in the summer lives in orpington(?) IIRC. how long of a commute would that be to warhammer world? i want to see that rhino haha might be a pain to travel with my army tho....

The Rhino is sh1t. You would struggle to fit 10 ordinary people in there, never mind ten marines. It looks particularly stupid when they have a life size marine there to highlight this. Also, it takes up parking spaces.

yeah i should be able to go :D as long as i can get a train that dosnt mean ill have to wake up at like 3 in the morning :P*

oh and do they let under 18's in bugmans? or am i exiled to standing outside looking sad? :

*aka dont have it starting really early, if it starts at after half 1 thatd be good (later the better)

WHW is basically a giant crèche anyway, so there are kids in the bar all the time. Obviously they aren't allowed alcohol though.

yay for google maps!

Google maps lies. It is within walking distance however.

Denzark
08-19-2012, 02:35 PM
You don't like the rhino then???!!!

Denzark
08-19-2012, 02:36 PM
PS Wildeybeast the Rhino is based on this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FV432

10+2 buddy, for the dwarfish Scottish Regiments of the British Army!:D

Wildeybeast
08-19-2012, 02:44 PM
Ok, I'm exaggerating slightly, you could fit 10 normal people in, but no way could you fit 10 marines in armour in there, along with a driver and co-pilot. I'm not even sure a marine in full armour could get through the side hatch. I don't like it because GW trumpeted it as 'life size'. Whilst I suspect it is actually to scale with the table top model, said model is obviously not to scale with the marine models, and so I fail to see how it can possibly be 'life sized'. Also, it's in the way.

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
08-19-2012, 02:52 PM
Fictional tanks aside... We need a list of who's coming and when we can all be available, I'm thinking maybe the New Year would be best for all?

Mr Mystery
08-19-2012, 03:01 PM
Agreed on the New Year. Possibly around March, to allow the post-Christmas skins to pass!

Wildeybeast
08-19-2012, 03:02 PM
Given the amount of events on, it's probably easier to start by finding the dates when WHW is free and going from there.

fuzzbuket
08-19-2012, 03:18 PM
and to make organizeing this easier

http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?p=232523#post232523

as this thread is getting confusing. so this thread is for conversation and that one is the questions/confirmations/info thread

Denzark
08-19-2012, 04:19 PM
Ok, I'm exaggerating slightly, you could fit 10 normal people in, but no way could you fit 10 marines in armour in there, along with a driver and co-pilot. I'm not even sure a marine in full armour could get through the side hatch. I don't like it because GW trumpeted it as 'life size'. Whilst I suspect it is actually to scale with the table top model, said model is obviously not to scale with the marine models, and so I fail to see how it can possibly be 'life sized'. Also, it's in the way.

Fair one it is somewhat in the way...

Psychosplodge
08-19-2012, 04:24 PM
And they've moved the spacemarine off the plinth...

SotonShades
08-20-2012, 04:33 PM
I'd recommend Jan-Feb time. Makes things cheap for anyone staying in hotels and if usually fairly quiet at WW, after the last of the christmas events have finished.

When ever we do it, I'll be wearing my Commissar's hat so we people can recognise at least someone in the group!

Mr Mystery
08-22-2012, 01:41 PM
You'll be able to recognise me by my palpable aura of win.

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
08-22-2012, 01:43 PM
I'll be looking GLORIOUS as per usual... My nipples will be especially shiny. :D

Psychosplodge
08-23-2012, 01:39 AM
You're not appearing topless? O_o

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
08-23-2012, 02:18 AM
Of course I am, I'm a Viking

Wolfshade
08-23-2012, 02:20 AM
Most vikings wore tops, and were mostly concerned with the provision of livestock.
A chap in the office is a viking recreationalist

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
08-23-2012, 02:23 AM
Sorry, did I say Viking? I meant BADASS Viking. :p

StraightSilver
08-23-2012, 02:27 AM
Well it's reassuring to know it's not just me that sits in my pants watching Stargate!! :)

I would also definitely be up for this, but would need a few weeks notice to get cheaper train tickets.

I go up to Lenton pretty regularly though so it's not a problem, but would be good to put a few faces to names and all that.

From personal experience the best place to stay if you are staying overnight is the Travel Lodge on Maid Marion Way.

It's very central, which is better for post Warhammer World, and is right next door to the GW in Nottingham.

The Premier Inn is technically closer, but you would still need to get a cab to Warhammer World as it is in the middle of 2 busy A Roads and means if you want to go out in the evening you then have to get another cab into town and back, so the travel Lodge will save you cash in the long run.

Plus the Travel Lodge is next to the Old Salutation which is one of the best pubs in Nottingham if you like Rock / Alt music. :)

Psychosplodge
08-23-2012, 02:34 AM
AH but parking man costs a fortune in nottingham, think of the car drivers, bloody commuters *grumble*

Wolfshade
08-23-2012, 02:39 AM
AH but parking man costs a fortune in nottingham, think of the car drivers, bloody commuters *grumble*

You could go by train and take a brompton

Psychosplodge
08-23-2012, 02:41 AM
Train? Have you any idea of the logistics involved in catching a train? it takes longer on public transport to the railway station than to drive to nottingham...

I was thinking generally anyway, dunno if i'll be going cause looks like i'm going to gemucon...

StraightSilver
08-23-2012, 02:51 AM
Sorry Psychsplodge, i forget that if people live outside of London have these mysterious devices known as cars. :)

In London we are slaved to machine spirits of trains at birth! :)

Psychosplodge
08-23-2012, 02:53 AM
Yeah I don't understand how london functions without them O_o

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
08-23-2012, 02:57 AM
Sorry Psychsplodge, i forget that if people live outside of London have these mysterious devices known as cars. :)

In London we are slaved to machine spirits of trains at birth! :)

Query: Subject #653566762, why are you not working?

fuzzbuket
08-23-2012, 09:28 AM
as a under 18 in scotland in a village i know not of these trains or cars,

now the good ole 20 min late buses thats where its at :L