PDA

View Full Version : Premeasuring! How do you feel about it now?

DrLove42
08-17-2012, 05:12 AM
So premeasuring is in, and has been for a few months (since 6th came out in fact :P)

How do people feel about it now they actually use it (or have it used against them) in a 40k game?

With random charge distances and bits im' finding it quite good.

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
08-17-2012, 05:17 AM
I love it! Means that I'm not wasting firepower where it isn't needed.

I like having options, allows for greater tactical and strategic accuracy.

Wolfshade
08-17-2012, 05:18 AM
I like it. Although every so often I forget to use it, curse you edition slip. It was always one of my complaints that you couldn't know ranges when here and now we have range finders.
I think it works very well with the random charges as with definate charge ranges it would make everything a little too predicatble.
Though it can be frustating, enemy 8" away, roll charge length 5 & 2, ah ha jump infantry, re-roll, 1 & 1. D'oh

Jenn
08-17-2012, 06:02 AM
I'm loving it, and have been abusing the heck out of it. My new favorite minigame within 40k is to kite melta units with my Annihilation barges, always staying 17" away from them. I've also thoroughly enjoyed deploying exactly half an inch out of range of my enemies heavy weapons when deploying second.

Besides as a means to be a little bit more tricky I find that it is also very helpful because i'm nearly blind in my left eye and as such my depth perception/ ability to guess ranges/ measurements leaves much to be desired. Overall I think the switch was a great move on GW's part.

SotonShades
08-17-2012, 06:24 AM
I keep forgetting to use it, but then again, as a fairly experienced player, especially playing most of my games on RoBBs, it's not too often I need it for shooting, and I can usuallyguage what I need for an assault, only measuring for clarity with my opponant. As a guy who often teaches new/returning players, I do find it handy for allowing them to check when i know they are shooting at something that will be just out of range without having to bend the rules though.

Defenestratus
08-17-2012, 06:36 AM
I don't really need to use it. Only times I use it is when "its close".

Over 20 years of not being able to pre-measure, I can pretty much eyeball any distance up to 36"

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
08-17-2012, 06:41 AM
While I've not been measuring distance for 20 years, I can eyeball distances too.

Wolfshade
08-17-2012, 06:49 AM
Some people have issues measuring things.

So 6" movement, so I can move this far?

DrLove42
08-17-2012, 06:52 AM
Well 6" is relative to your measuring stick and what you're used to.

Thats why my guys move 6" and end up halfway across the table. In Hammer and Anvil deployment....

Wolfshade
08-17-2012, 07:04 AM
How rooode :eek:

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
08-17-2012, 07:14 AM
Indeed. Bad show sir.

DrLove42
08-17-2012, 07:17 AM
You're just jealous

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
08-17-2012, 07:20 AM
Heh. I am not jealous of anything or anyone, I have no need to be. :p

Wolfshade
08-17-2012, 07:26 AM
Heh. I am not jealous of anything or anyone, I have no need to be. :p

Indeed, why be jealous of the man with lamb for dinner if you do not eat it...

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
08-17-2012, 07:29 AM
Indeed, why be jealous of the man with lamb for dinner if you do not eat it...

Not sure if insult or compliment...

DrLove42
08-17-2012, 07:37 AM
I think hes suggesting that he neither has one or wants one....

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
08-17-2012, 07:40 AM
I certainly don't want one in my mouth.

Denzark
08-17-2012, 07:43 AM
Pre-measuring? I'm not saying I won't buy it dinner before I take it home, but there may be the odd kidney punch whilst in flagrante delicto.

Y'know, just to remind it who's boss.

Wolfshade
08-17-2012, 07:44 AM
I doesn't matter about the size of your neighbours lamp chop if you have no use for one

DrLove42
08-17-2012, 07:50 AM
Yeah that sounds a bit less gay.

SotonShades
08-17-2012, 09:53 AM
Well 6" is relative to your measuring stick and what you're used to.

Thats why my guys move 6" and end up halfway across the table. In Hammer and Anvil deployment....

Not quite what I've heard from Mrs Love... but we won't go there.

Also, I've seen you use a tape measure!

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
08-17-2012, 09:54 AM
Wait a minute...... Mrs Love talks to you about their sex life?
LOL!

SotonShades
08-17-2012, 10:08 AM
Only when she has been drunk... She is a very funny drunk until she starts to feel sick.

Bare in mind that i have known DrLove twice as long as she has, so she assumes (when drunk) that I know more about him than I really should. Especially as he dated a girl I've known since before we were two years old.

Speaking of which; DrLove; you still owe me one girlfriend. Of equal or greater attractiveness as Dibble :P

P.s. I am not for a second saying Mrs Love is an alcohlic or anything (my phrasing was bad) just that she is a very funny person once she has a couple of drinks inside her. She has a very sharpe sense of humour the rest of the time too, but add alcohol and it can be hilarious!

da_WaaaghMaster
08-17-2012, 07:09 PM
I'll try to rescue the thread!

I'm all for pre-measuring. It has always irked me that in a game of modern (more or less) warfare, you pretty much had to guess if you were in range or not.

As a side note: I HATE what they've done with actual "guess" range weapons. I used to be able to place those basilisk rounds right where i wanted them; much to opponents chagrin. Although I'll concede the new guess rules do slightly speed up the game.

DarkLink
08-17-2012, 07:55 PM
Premeasuring is awesome.