PDA

View Full Version : Nemesis Warding Stave vs Perils

Omnomnom
08-17-2012, 02:27 AM
Hi guys I have been having a fairly heated debate with my gaming group about whether or not you can use the Nemesis Warding Stave vs Perils if you are in engaged in close combat.

From the GK FAQ:
Q: Can the save granted by a Nemesis warding stave
be taken against all Wounds suffered whilst the wielder
is engaged in close combat and not only against
Wounds caused by close combat attacks? (p54)
A: Yes.

It seems fairly clear to me that going by RAW it can being that the FAQ says ANY wound however I certainly don't think that it is intended to do so, what's everyone else think?

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
08-17-2012, 02:30 AM
No, you cannot, the Nemesis Ward Stave is only from attacks made in close combat.
Only a Farseer has a save against Perils.

Omnomnom
08-17-2012, 02:32 AM
But it says ALL wounds suffered while in close combat.

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
08-17-2012, 02:36 AM
I take it this is for Hammerhand or something.

Aren't most Psychic Powers cast in the movement phase?

Which would directly contradict any argument made, because the staff only affects saves in the combat phase.

Omnomnom
08-17-2012, 02:41 AM
Yes Hammerhand, Qucksilver, or even activating the Force Weapon. It would be a very rare occurrence, as you said most powers are cast during the movement or shooting phases.

My issue is going by RAW it should be allowed even though the BRB says no saves are allowed from perils, Codex trumps BRB etc...

da_WaaaghMaster
08-17-2012, 02:42 AM
Regardless of whats going on around you, Perils of the Warp is not a CC attack thus the Warding Stave cannot help you. Nice try though ;)

Edit: On second thought, reading the rule for the Stave, I think you might have something there. It's more poor wording on GW's part. RAW, you've got a loophole. RAI, It works against close combat attacks.

I'm going to keep editing the hell out of this post!
2nd Edit: In order to use the staff i think it'd need to be worded a little differently: Wounds caused in close combat = wounds caused by CC attacks.
To use it the way you'd like I think it would need to be worded: Any wounds caused while in close combat.
3rd Edit: I'm rambling incoherently, read Learn2Eel's post below!

Off topic: I always thought "stave" was the plural of staff. Apparently it's not. I learned something today!

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
08-17-2012, 02:43 AM
^ What he said.

EDIT: No, not what he says!
You aren't allowed a saving throw against Perils unless you have a Ghosthelm.

Learn2Eel
08-17-2012, 02:47 AM
The problem is, no save of any kind is allowed against Perils - I don't have it handy but it basically says no saving throw can be made against Perils of the Warp. The exception to the rule is the Eldar Ghosthelm.

You do still get Feel No Pain though, as Feel No Pain is not a saving throw.

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
08-17-2012, 02:50 AM
That's interesting. I didn't know that. :p

Learn2Eel
08-17-2012, 02:55 AM
Yeah, it's something I found out the other day.

You can't take a save of any kind against Perils of the Warp. The Nemesis Warding Stave is an invulnerable save that functions only if the wielder is in close combat. Despite what the FAQ says, it is still a saving throw and therefore cannot be taken against Perils of the Warp.

However, Feel No Pain is not a saving throw - it states as such in its entry. To the best of my knowledge, Feel No Pain is only ignored if an attack would inflict Instant Death - Perils of the Warp doesn't do that, so you still get Feel No Pain.

da_WaaaghMaster
08-17-2012, 03:00 AM
The problem is, no save of any kind is allowed against Perils - I don't have it handy but it basically says no saving throw can be made against Perils of the Warp. The exception to the rule is the Eldar Ghosthelm.

You do still get Feel No Pain though, as Feel No Pain is not a saving throw.

Damn. That was so obvious it blew my mind. NO SAVES vs. PERILS, PERIOD. All that editing for nothing!
Nice catch on FNP too, thx.

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
08-17-2012, 03:01 AM
That's really awesome!

I can't think of a Psyker with FNP, but that's still cool, and actually makes sense.
EDIT: Oh wait... A Librarian with an Apothecary next to him.

Thank you for bringing this to my attention.

Learn2Eel
08-17-2012, 03:03 AM
No worries guys, it also helps out Paladins and attached Independent Characters.
It's useful to know, so you at least get a 5+ save instead of no save at all.

da_WaaaghMaster
08-17-2012, 03:09 AM
Nice. So my libby's Honor Guard does more than just look cool and cost a lot of points! :cool:

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
08-17-2012, 03:14 AM
If only Ezekiel was a good Psyker...

Anggul
08-17-2012, 03:28 AM
That's really awesome!

I can't think of a Psyker with FNP, but that's still cool, and actually makes sense.
EDIT: Oh wait... A Librarian with an Apothecary next to him.

Thank you for bringing this to my attention.

Mephiston.

Mephiston is no longer auto-wounded by Perils. This is amusing yet scary.

da_WaaaghMaster
08-17-2012, 03:30 AM
If only Ezekiel was a good Psyker...
I'm sure he will be when GW gives the DA's some love in their new codex :)

Hrm...Might have to have a Sanguinary Priest follow Mephy around more often now :p

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
08-17-2012, 03:46 AM
Yes. He better be at least Mastery 2.

Learn2Eel
08-17-2012, 04:17 AM
Mephiston.

Mephiston is no longer auto-wounded by Perils. This is amusing yet scary.

Mephiston has Feel No Pain? That's news to me!
Oh, Biomancy right?

da_WaaaghMaster
08-17-2012, 04:58 AM
Yes. He better be at least Mastery 2.

Gotta be at least Mastery 2. No worries there I'd wager. I'm hoping Interrogator's are a bit cooler than just "RAWR we're real good at torturing things RAWR"

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
08-17-2012, 05:03 AM
Deny the Witch on a 3+?

That'd be cool.

da_WaaaghMaster
08-17-2012, 05:09 AM
Deny the Witch on a 3+?

Oooh, That'd be neat. I could totally go for that. They ARE supposed to be super-cool Chaplains with exceptional mental fortitude aren't they?

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
08-17-2012, 05:13 AM
Yep, in FFG they need a minimum of 80 willpower or something.

da_WaaaghMaster
08-17-2012, 05:27 AM
Is that the whole Dark Heresy/Deathwatch RPG? That's percentile based right? d100? 80 is a really high stat then! They better be way cooler in the next codex. I don't even play DA's, but they are the 1st legion and deserve some proper attention damnit.

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
08-17-2012, 05:28 AM
The Firstborn as I call them. :D
Yes, they are fantastic.

I don't hold any love for the d100 system, but it's good for scale and background and such.

da_WaaaghMaster
08-17-2012, 05:33 AM
d100 gives you more flexibility i would assume. I'm partial to d20, old fart that I am ;)

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
08-17-2012, 05:38 AM
The d10 system, or White Wolf as it's commonly known, is far superior and much easier to play than FFG's d100 system. :p

But that's for another thread, now we're off-topic.

da_WaaaghMaster
08-17-2012, 05:43 AM
I was always partial to Mechwarrior's (FASA) 2d6 system. Simple yet intuitive.

d100 was an odd choice. I'm surprised it didn't use some sort of custom dice, with FFG's penchant for fancy components.

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
08-17-2012, 05:52 AM
Question resolved, thread closed. :)