PDA

View Full Version : How to paint cloth and banners?

DarthHawke
08-16-2012, 07:57 AM
Alright im having some trouble with this. Im starting on my first sergeant space marine and i cannot seem to get the cloth right. I base coat it with white them go over it with a sepia wash lightly which looks ok. Its not exactly the tan im looking for but im new to painting minis so i just have to deal with it. My main question is how do i get the dark areas in the folds of the cloth and how to expertly paint the banners.

If anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated.

Defenestratus
08-16-2012, 08:20 AM
Alright im having some trouble with this. Im starting on my first sergeant space marine and i cannot seem to get the cloth right. I base coat it with white them go over it with a sepia wash lightly which looks ok. Its not exactly the tan im looking for but im new to painting minis so i just have to deal with it. My main question is how do i get the dark areas in the folds of the cloth and how to expertly paint the banners.

If anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated.

I'm not the best at it but my stuff looks good enough on the table.... (also this should probably go in the hobby subforum)

I do mine by layering...

Start with a dark color, for tan I'd start with a really dark brown. Paint the whole cloth with this color.

Then take a shade lighter, like a desert yellow or a kakhi, then paint the raised areas of the cloth. Leave the recesses as brown.

Then finally take your lightest shade and do another layer on top of that leaving some of the undercoat exposed.

Finally, with a tan I'd hit it with a flesh wash to blend it all together. Below is an example of how mine look on my farseers robes...

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-PZP15Bbk0q4/TULQ7n2obaI/AAAAAAAANo8/HNUcH4vrxfE/s400/2011-01-28_09-20-22_754.jpg

DrLove42
08-16-2012, 08:25 AM
I like to use a medium colour for the cloth. Wash it in a dark and then highlight and light highlight the raised surfaces.

I mostly use Purples and Blacks for material

DarthHawke
08-16-2012, 08:57 AM
I'm not the best at it but my stuff looks good enough on the table.... (also this should probably go in the hobby subforum)

I do mine by layering...

Start with a dark color, for tan I'd start with a really dark brown. Paint the whole cloth with this color.

Then take a shade lighter, like a desert yellow or a kakhi, then paint the raised areas of the cloth. Leave the recesses as brown.

Then finally take your lightest shade and do another layer on top of that leaving some of the undercoat exposed.

Finally, with a tan I'd hit it with a flesh wash to blend it all together. Below is an example of how mine look on my farseers robes...

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-PZP15Bbk0q4/TULQ7n2obaI/AAAAAAAANo8/HNUcH4vrxfE/s400/2011-01-28_09-20-22_754.jpg

what paints do you use? and those look great! and by what kind i mean what brand, and if theyre citadel what colors exactly?

fuzzbuket
08-16-2012, 10:23 AM
start with a warm brown (catchacan or somethign?)

layer with white.

done ^_^

DarthHawke
08-16-2012, 11:28 AM
start with a warm brown (catchacan or somethign?)

layer with white.

done ^_^

thanks man :) i really appreciate it. Im doin a blood angels army and trying to make them look amazing. Im a novice at painting but i think its goin well so far. You have any tips for a new guy on the block?

DarthHawke
08-16-2012, 11:29 AM
I like to use a medium colour for the cloth. Wash it in a dark and then highlight and light highlight the raised surfaces.

I mostly use Purples and Blacks for material

Why purples and blacks? im creating a BA army so i figured some tan to almost white cloth would break up all of the red, gold and black i use really well.

fuzzbuket
08-16-2012, 12:50 PM
tips for blood angels..

well lets see

1) little freehand reapers (or just guys in hooded cloaks ) are really easy to do! (make a triangle (main body) and have some flicks coming off it like a tattered cloak then a hollow square (?) for the head, 2 little triangles for arms and 2 little flesh dots for hands!
2) dont go overboard with the freehand :P
3) once youre confident with painting red try shading it with purple/blue/green for a nice effect
4)metals are simple: basecoat (gold) highlight (light gold/ bronze) then a purple wash!
5)highlight with a bright red or a orange. highlighting with white makes it go pink :P

and thats fuzz's blood angel beginner tips :D

as for doctor loves cloth choice i assume its because he paints a lot of eldar? so with bright coloured models a nice bit of dark cloth works nicley!

DarthHawke
08-17-2012, 05:45 AM
tips for blood angels..

well lets see

1) little freehand reapers (or just guys in hooded cloaks ) are really easy to do! (make a triangle (main body) and have some flicks coming off it like a tattered cloak then a hollow square (?) for the head, 2 little triangles for arms and 2 little flesh dots for hands!
2) dont go overboard with the freehand :P
3) once youre confident with painting red try shading it with purple/blue/green for a nice effect
4)metals are simple: basecoat (gold) highlight (light gold/ bronze) then a purple wash!
5)highlight with a bright red or a orange. highlighting with white makes it go pink :P

and thats fuzz's blood angel beginner tips :D

as for doctor loves cloth choice i assume its because he paints a lot of eldar? so with bright coloured models a nice bit of dark cloth works nicley!

thanks man i really appreciate it. The cloth turned out great in my opinion for my first time painting it. i wish i could upload a pic to my computer but i have no clue how.

DrLove42
08-17-2012, 06:02 AM
Precisely. I use Purples cos its a nice rich colour that befits the power, and being Ulthwe (basically) the robes are all black

Defenestratus
08-17-2012, 06:40 AM
what paints do you use? and those look great! and by what kind i mean what brand, and if theyre citadel what colors exactly?

The tan is Khemri brown -> Desert Yellow -> Kommando Khaki -> Bleached bone -> Sepia wash

I don't know what that is in "new colors".

The red is mecharite red -> Blood red -> 50/50 Blood red, vomit brown mix for a highlight.

And they look... ok. They are old and I need to go back and touch them up. This was also before I finished their bases.

But thank You!

DarthHawke
08-17-2012, 08:44 AM
The tan is Khemri brown -> Desert Yellow -> Kommando Khaki -> Bleached bone -> Sepia wash

I don't know what that is in "new colors".

The red is mecharite red -> Blood red -> 50/50 Blood red, vomit brown mix for a highlight.

And they look... ok. They are old and I need to go back and touch them up. This was also before I finished their bases.

But thank You!

why did you choose eldar?

fuzzbuket
08-17-2012, 09:29 AM

BECAUSE HE IS XENO SCUM THAT NEEDS TO BE PURGED *FROTHS AT MOUTH*

also because they have pretty models that are fun to paint.

DarthHawke
08-17-2012, 10:11 AM
BECAUSE HE IS XENO SCUM THAT NEEDS TO BE PURGED *FROTHS AT MOUTH*

also because they have pretty models that are fun to paint.

Haha xD i bet you play as Grey Knights. And they do have pretty models. Whats your fave space marine chapter?

fuzzbuket
08-17-2012, 11:25 AM
i play GK, used to play BA and am now starting IF (recycling a few BA tanks and squads)

im mainly a painter though so ive eh,.,... accidently painted a few eldar,orks necrons and tau :L

Defenestratus
08-17-2012, 12:02 PM

Thats a long story thats not applicable to this thread.

In summary, I was attracted to their playstyle back in the RT/2nd edition days.

da_WaaaghMaster
08-17-2012, 07:01 PM
Red is very challenging to paint (not so much as yellow though, I have enormous respect for Iyanden/Imperial Fists/Bad moons players)

fuzzbuket's tips are spot on.

Also, after priming them white, undercoating with a red-brown, like mournfang, or skrag brown will make your reds pop a bit more.