PDA

View Full Version : 1500p Lost Vyper Eldar Force

Lost Vyper
08-15-2012, 05:52 AM
Hi!

Next week iīm gonna take on BAīs on thursday and maybe Necrons on friday. Hereīs my list for the battle, and we are using pre-built table, everything else is going as in the 6th.

HQ :
Farseer (SS,Guide,Mindwar,ROW) (125p)
i took the cheapest powers, iīm gonna swap em to the 6th ed. ones.
Elite :
Fire Dragons (x7) + Exarch (TH,DBF) (155p)
and they are gonna hold the Aegis line with the Quad-Gun (100p)
Troop :
Pathfinders (x5) (120p)
Dire Avengers (x9) + Exarch (2ASC,Bladestorm) + WS (tlBL,tlSC) (287p)
Dire Avengers (x9) + Exarch (2ASC,Bladestorm) + WS (tlBL,tlSC) (287p)
Guardian Jetbike Squadron (x3) (66p)
Heavy :
War Walkers (x3) (Scatterlaser x 2) (180p)
War Walkers (x3) (Scatterlaser x 2) (180p)
= 1500p

I havent played the Jetbikes in quite a while, so i took em just to try them out again. FD Exarch is gonna use the Quad-Gun (nice idea from someone in this forum, thanks!) and pathfinders are gonna camp on my objective. WSīs are gonna be my tank poppers, yes, i know BLīs cost a lot, but itīs a must when i go against mechanized BA-list. Ever wonder why DAīs have BS 4 and Eldar 3 usually? They train in the dark? Cīmon, we have the most sophisticated tanks and whatnots and you have to take Fireprism to get BS 4? Nooooooo...well, WWīs with their 24 shots are gonna sliceīnīdice!

Comments please...

Aramel
08-15-2012, 08:36 AM
So long as you force your opponents to get in range of the fire dragons by placing objectives near by, this list should work fine. Personally I think using FD on a quad gun is a complete waste just for tank hunting, with reapers being an infinately better choice. All the enemy has to do is stay at 13" and only the exarch will get to shoot anything all game.

If you are set on your list as is, consider swapping the FD with one of the DA squads. You will still get 4 BS5 twin-linked shots that should have no trouble taking out rhinos and land-speeders/flyers. Even with the +1 from tank-hunting, the gun is really not effective against most other marine vehicles that generally have AV 13/14. Also DA are troops and will thus be able to hold an objective at the wall.

I think the jetbike squad is a nice touch because of the 48" move and ability to steal objectives. However, they are still just 3 models that will die to any attention payed to them. I'd suggest hiding them until turn 5 or sending them to a far flung objective that your opponent is ignoring, hopefully splitting his forces.

CouchViking
08-15-2012, 08:44 AM
I like it Vyper, its a really nice balance of static and mech. Although i will say if your opponent brings termies of the TH/SS verity you might have some issues. Now your weight of fire that your army is staggering a blade storm salvo in conjunction with the war walkers 24 shots should take care of what ever you shoot at, if the dice gods are smiling that is. I like the pathfinders best upgrade in the book in my opinion, just wish you had the points to beef up the jet bike squad with a Shuriken Cannon and a few more bodies. You might wanna try dropping two dragons to achieve throwing in another jet bike and the SC, other than that its a really good list.

Lost Vyper
08-15-2012, 09:47 AM
Gotta love this forum! Already two good arguments, and iīm gonna have to make variations and see which i prefer. Last time, i got StormRavened in turn 2, and he was in my corner and out came the Assault Marines. He also used Predators with Assault Cannons (i think?) and heavy bolters, that will tear everything out in the open (this is what happened to my FDīs after their ride went up in smoke), so thatīs why i first thought keeping FDīs in the "corner". He hasntīplayed with Terminators for a while, cos he doesnt have any "shooty" oneīs (what do you mean, that 5th edition was all about CC? :) ) But now, hmmm, i might make the switch, that Aramel suggested. Yeah, couple of FDīs away and a guardian or two more...damn it, why dont i have army builder at work? :)

Aramel
08-15-2012, 08:04 PM
If you find yourself playing marines a lot, I strongly encourage you to fill that last heavy slot with 5 reapers with exarch, reaper launcher and crack shot. The launcher is barrage 2, which means that you can place it on whatever models you want killed and they will die (casualties taken from center of blast first). You re-roll to wound at str 4, AP3 and ignore cover. Add to that the rest of the squad's 8 Str5 AP 3 shots and you will be erradicating marines.

Before, the launcher's 36" range meant that sometimes only the squad could reach a target. Now you have access to a quad gun that has a range of 48," same as the squad. Thus you will either come close or succed in wiping out a squad per turn, or wreck anything AV 10-11 reliably or maybe scratch some paint off AV12-13 vehicles. Ignoring jink with the gun is always great fun too and presumably you will be casting prescience on the reapers to make them even deadlier.

Lastly, one of the main reasons reapers were unpopular in 5th, besides the prevalence of mechdar, was that they are generally targetted with everything the enemy has and would eventually die. An Aegis line makes them much more survivable, adding a 4+ cover save, improved to 2+ for going to ground, as well as their already decent 3+ armour save. Anyways, if you are hesitant to make the investment and your opponent does not mind, try proxying these warriors for a few games and see how they perform!

CouchViking
08-15-2012, 11:58 PM
Aramel has some good points 10 ap3 shots per turn ain't a bad thing when your facing marines, you also might want to try loading your warwalkers with SC/SS for that nice ap2. Six ap2 shots a turn at bs3 backed by 12 str6 shots from one unit might give your opponent a moment for pause before shooting at your reapers.

Lost Vyper
08-16-2012, 04:34 AM
I do have the DR-squad, but in the 5th, they were always priority target (mostly with drop pod dreds with heavy flamers), so i didnt play them often. I got a list with 2 x 3 WWīs + DA-squad. My goal is to try two different lists, first one being the one we
contemplated here and the other one looks like this :

HQ :
Farseer on a Jetbike (Mindwar, Guide, SS) (158p)
TROOP :
Pathfinders (x5) (120p)
Pathfinders (x5) (120p)
Dire Avengers (x5) + Exarch (2ASC,Bladestorm) + WS (tlBL,tlSC) (234p)
Dire Avengers (x5) + Exarch (2ASC,Bladestorm) + WS (tlBL,tlSC) (234p)
HEAVY :
War Walkers (x3) (Scatterlaser,Missile Launcher) (195p)
War Walkers (x3) (Missile Launcher, Starcannon) (225p)
Dark Reapers(x4) + Exarch (CS,Missile Launcher) (207p)
= 1498p

Lost Vyper
08-25-2012, 12:08 AM
So, on thursday got to try my army from the first post. The mission was one without objectives, so my list was pretty crap for that. In top of that, my friend had switched his army and the Stormraven was not present and the Aegis line with Quad Gun had little effect during the game. I lost the game (9-6), but was VERY happy with the WWīs. They took out his large bike squad and were dealing always from 8 to 14 wounds. He countered it thou, with his deathstar unit, HQ (was it Dante?) with 2+ armor save in front ALWAYS and if he failed, look out sir followed by feel no pain. Also the Guardian Bikes were faring much better than usually in my games (well, you didnt put them in the front to get chewed, genius) Well, my next game will be 1999p against him and now the WWīs will be rolling with star cannons...just ordered Avatar and got one more Wave serpent, so my army is getting more versatile...

thecactusman17
08-25-2012, 01:54 AM
Against Marines, Misfortune is the most critical power you can get. I'd take Misfortune and Prescience all day. Frankly, I think it's worth the tremendous additional investment in Eldrad to get that power. Also, Eldrad has some tricks that can make him an excellent Challenge contender, especially if he gets that power to reroll all of his own abilities. Reroll to hit, to wound, AND to save with a 3++ is a huge deal in cc.

Also, I'm not entirely certain on your first list: is the Farseer equipped with Spirit Stones? He really ought to be.

Lost Vyper
08-25-2012, 02:02 AM
Yeah, sorry, didnt fix that on the topic, yes Farseer has SS. Eldrad is the shiznit, but the point cost is huge. I had Prescience and some other Divination power. The list is always tweaked, and changes are being made as we chat :)