PDA

View Full Version : 1850 Blood Wolves (BA w/ SW allies)

Angelofblades
08-14-2012, 09:03 AM
Before I started putting paint to model, I was looking for opinions on the following list:

Mephiston

Sanguinary Priest
Terminator Armor, Power Sword

10 man Tactical Squad
Plasma Gun, ML, Combi-plasma, Power Axe

10 man Assault Squad
2x Meltaguns, Power Maul, Melta Bombs

Storm Raven
Extra Armor, Searchlights

2 x Attack Bikes
2 x Heavy Bolters

Rune Priest
Runi Armor, Wolf Tail Talisman

Wolf Priest
Wolf Tail Talisman, Saga of the Hunter

6 Wolf Guard Terminators
WGT w/ Cyclone / Storm bolter / Power Sword
3x WGT w/ Storm Bolter/ Wolf Claws (1 ea)
1 WGT w/ Storm Bolter / Power Axe
1 WGT w/ Storm Bolter / Power Fist

10 Grey Hunters
2 x Plasma guns, MoW

5 Long Fangs
4 ML's

Total should come to 1849

BA part:

Mephiston either rides solo in the Storm Raven, or hangs behind the Tactical squad, because the Priest hangs with the tactical squad to tank for them.

The Assault squad goes vehicle hunting as a primary focus. They will DOA DS / combat squads to drop behind a vehicle, fire melta, throw krak grenade. That's also the reason for the Power Maul, melta bomb in case target has tougher armor.

SW part:

Rune Priest goes with Grey Hunters, will most likely swap powers for Divination.

Cyclone WGT joins the Long Fangs to tank for them. Depending on Deployment, the Wolf Priest may join the Long Fangs also to provide better cover save, if it's not necessary, then he will join the WGT's.

euphemismo
08-19-2012, 06:19 PM
I would suggest adding a plasma pistol to your Wolf Priest and making room on your Wolf Guard for combi-plasmas on as many as you can. When attached to the WG as its own unit, the Wolf Priest gives preferred enemy. Rapid firing plasma guns rerolling ones makes for nasty MC/ 2+ save hunters.

incenerate101
08-19-2012, 10:25 PM
If i recall correctly preferred enemy doesnt work with ranged weapons. Idk if the rule changed in 6th edition but either way.

ElectricPaladin
08-19-2012, 11:20 PM
If i recall correctly preferred enemy doesnt work with ranged weapons. Idk if the rule changed in 6th edition but either way.

The rule has changed. Preferred enemy now works with everything, all the time.

Further Commentary

Why are you bothering with a Tactical Squad in your Blood Angels? Almost all of the special rules that make Blood Angels valuable as an army benefit them as an assault army. The Sanguinary Priest may grant FNP, but he also grants Furious Charge. I'd recommend dropping the Tactical Squad for a second Assault Squad and giving a jump pack to the priest. You've got Wolf Guard, Grey Hunters, and Long Fangs for fire support - let them shoot over the shoulders of DoAing Assault Squads to whittle down the enemy in advance of a Blood Angel assault!

The Attack Bikes I'll allow, because Bikes are a pretty good assault unit, and having them fire with Heavy Bolters is pretty cool. Stormravens are also great in general - especially at taking out enemy fliers - and make a good MDS (Mephiston Delivery System).

However, I'd seriously consider making your BA all assault.

Furthermore...

I don't know the Space Wolf codex very well, but isn't it true that most Space Wolf units have Counter-Attack? If so, that makes them a great counterpart to air-dropping BA. Let the wolves take the charge. Their counter-attack rule means that they are perfectly happy taking the charge - they'll dish out as good as they take. Then, they can be the anvil, holding the enemy in place while the Blood Angel hammer falls.

incenerate101
08-19-2012, 11:44 PM
I played wolves for awhile now and yes all wolf units have counter attack. Dropping Blood Angels into a Combat already in progress with Wolves would be KILLER. Ive never thought about that idea.

ElectricPaladin
08-20-2012, 10:38 AM
I played wolves for awhile now and yes all wolf units have counter attack. Dropping Blood Angels into a Combat already in progress with Wolves would be KILLER. Ive never thought about that idea.

Hammer and Anvil is a common tactic in WHFB. It's used rarely in 40k, mostly because 40k units are so much more mobile that it's hard to pull off, and 40k is (to some degree) more of a shooting game anyway. However, when you can pull off odd avenues of attack, like Deep Striking, it becomes a viable tactic.

Right now, in one of my Blood Angels lists, my potential Anvils include foot assault squads in razorbacks (armed with flamers for maximum defensive snap shots!) and an ordinary jump assault squad, while the hammers include that same assault squad (depending on the situation) and a sanguinary guard squad, with librarian, cruising around in a Stormraven (which is how I can safely deliver them to the battle once the Anvil has nailed the target down). In another, the assault squad and librarian form the anvil, while the hammer is an assault-from-deep-strike vanguard veteran squad.

Either way, what the Anvil needs is the ability to take the charge well, either through superior numbers, superior toughness, or special rules like Counter Attack and Feel No Pain that keep them in the game. They should also be an attractive target. The Hammer just needs to hit hard and be able to somehow outflank the target. Deep Striking vanguard veteran squads and anything riding around in an Assault Vehicle - especially one that Deep Strikes, like a Stormraven, Stormeagle, or Blood Angels land raider - are great choices.

incenerate101
08-20-2012, 01:05 PM
Sadly units that deepstrike can under no circumstances assault at all, no matter what. Says so in the rule book unless Blood Angels have a special rule allowing them to do so.

Kyban
08-20-2012, 01:09 PM
Sadly units that deepstrike can under no circumstances assault at all, no matter what. Says so in the rule book unless Blood Angels have a special rule allowing them to do so.

Yeah, vanguard vets have heroic intervention that allows them to do it.

incenerate101
08-20-2012, 01:14 PM
Yeah, vanguard vets have heroic intervention that allows them to do it.

Aaah thats just evil! Thanks for clarifying that for me! I think i need to start up my Wolves again to play a list similar to this xD

Neelam
08-20-2012, 01:41 PM

There's also a FW Drop Pod (With the 40ik stamp) that lets you assault after deep strike, I think it might be dreadnought only though - and it's fairly pricey.

senna
08-20-2012, 01:48 PM
i would consider dropping the plasma guns for meltaguns as there is no risk of dying when you shoot them.

ElectricPaladin
08-20-2012, 01:50 PM
There's also a FW Drop Pod (With the 40ik stamp) that lets you assault after deep strike, I think it might be dreadnought only though - and it's fairly pricey.

Dreadnought only, and the dreadnought has to make a dangerous terrain check.

incenerate101
08-20-2012, 01:57 PM
i would consider dropping the plasma guns for meltaguns as there is no risk of dying when you shoot them.

The reason for taking Plasma guns is that you can rapid fire them unlike Meltas. At strength 7 AP 2 a rapid fire Plasma Gun is much better for mid range anti infantry (including terminators!). Now i totally agree with melta guns if your going Armor hunting xD