PDA

View Full Version : Will you buy the 6th edition starter set?

eldargal
08-13-2012, 11:33 AM
So, twelve days out from the new starter set going up for advance order apparently, will you be buying it?

I voted 'Depends on the quality...'. I don't have any particular interest in Dark Angels or Chaos. If I can use the Marines for my FSM without much effort and if the Chaos cultists could be easily converted to make DE wracks I might get it. Or, of course, if the sculpt quality is simply amazing.

Deadlift
08-13-2012, 11:36 AM
It's not if for me, but how many ?

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
08-13-2012, 11:42 AM
I'm going to be full of Dark Angels! :D

lobster-overlord
08-13-2012, 11:43 AM
if it's anything near the quality of the last one, the value of it bitted out would be enormous, and selling off the parts more than pays for the book.

Kyban
08-13-2012, 11:44 AM
I'm big on minor conversions and I think both sides might fit well with my marines. If not, then a lot of players at my FLGS are interested in splitting a set for the CSMs.

ragnarcissist
08-13-2012, 11:47 AM
yeah, buying two and combining them would make a solid fallen force for pretty cheap, so yes i will be buying two.

plasticaddict
08-13-2012, 12:02 PM
It depends, since I have zero interest in marines of any flavor. If I like the cultists I'll add them to my Traitor Guard and I do like having a reasonably sized rule book.

Denzark
08-13-2012, 12:13 PM
I voted 'Yes Ma'am' because I like being told to say that by posh totty...

Archon Charybdis
08-13-2012, 12:22 PM
I play neither Marines nor Spikey Marines, so no.

Nemesis
08-13-2012, 12:26 PM
Ohhhhh yusss!

energongoodie
08-13-2012, 12:45 PM
The quality of GW releases over the last few releases has been excellent in my opinion. I see no reason why the starter set won't be kick arse awesome and chock a block full of great minis that I MUST have.
I can't wait. :D

imperialpower
08-13-2012, 12:52 PM
Very bored of the must have more Space marines mission GW is on and have no intrest what so ever in chaos at all..... just no

iheartgrimdark
08-13-2012, 01:01 PM
I've voted no. I wish I could justify it but as I collect neither of the armies I can't. Which makes me sad as I reckon it's going to be a good one.

KrewL RaiN
08-13-2012, 01:10 PM
I probaly will get it for the minidex and the Chaos goodies. I really want to see the miniatures before solidifying my decision.

Force21
08-13-2012, 02:26 PM
I would most likely get it for the mini rulebook... I don't play Dark Angels or Chaos...

but I have a freind that does play Chaos, so I can at least trade/sell him those little buggers...except maybe a cultist or two for dark heresy.

SotonShades
08-13-2012, 02:29 PM
Well black reach got me into Orks, which I had wanted to do for a while. Taking the small rulebook to tournaments has always been a gift sent from the Emporer Himself in fifth ed. I've been wanting to start Chaos for a while now...

Maybe.

It kinda depends if I have enough spare cash by then. At the moment I still have half a Black Reach box to build, amongst several other partially emptied sprues and half done conversions. I'm sure I will want the models. I'm sure I'll find use for them and they'll end up near the top of my To Do piles (yes I do have piles of To Do miniatures at the moment...) On the otherhand, if the DA are too DA distinctive, so wouldn't look right mixed in with my normal SM even allowing for a certain amount of convertions, that would put me off. Unless they are easilly chaosifyable... Must stop talking myself into this!

P.s. Don't tell the staff at my local GW this, but if it gives me a bonus in our current campaign (pre-ordering 6th Ed did) then that might just twist my arm ;)

Rissan4ever
08-13-2012, 02:31 PM
I will not be buying the starter set. Some Marines to supplement my IG army would be nice, but as I mentioned in another thread, I don't trust Dark Angels. And, perhaps more importantly, I have an agreement with my wife not to buy anything new until everything I currently have is painted. Which means, barring Christmas and my birthday, I won't be getting anything new for the next few centuries.

Necron2.0
08-13-2012, 03:16 PM
I said yes. I've been planning on it, actually, since before I knew what would be in the starter set. I never had any intention of buying the full sized rulebook. I bought the big one for 5th edition, and it sat on my shelf once Black Reach came out. I decided not to waste my money this time around.

Right now I'm working with an "unofficial" copy, waiting for the starter set to launch. When it does, I'll either be able to sell off the bits or else swap them with sprues I already have and sell off the older stuff. Either way, I'll effectively get the rules for free.

fuzzbuket
08-13-2012, 03:16 PM
well if its marines , and brilliant sculpts and very cheap: why not :D and if i recall they are selling it as 2 boxes? (marines/chaos?)

and with the new allies rules i can have it as IF and LOTD ^__^

Psychosplodge
08-13-2012, 03:45 PM
Probably not.

robrodgers46
08-13-2012, 03:56 PM
Chaos? Meh. Dark Angels, cool, but the unit mix is odd for an allied force, and since I already have two armies and am saving up to start Sisters once the plastics arrive, no.

Wildeybeast
08-13-2012, 04:02 PM
Unless I can easily convert the DA in the far superior RG (which I doubt) the only thing I want in there is the book, so I'll probably just ebay that.

I voted 'Yes Ma'am' because I like being told to say that by posh totty...

hilarious.

Charistoph
08-13-2012, 04:20 PM
I voted 'Depends on the quality...'. I don't have any particular interest in Dark Angels or Chaos. If I can use the Marines for my FSM without much effort and if the Chaos cultists could be easily converted to make DE wracks I might get it. Or, of course, if the sculpt quality is simply amazing.

I voted the same, but for the opposite reason. If I can't fit the models in to my force, then I will just get the mini-book on eBay. Otherwise, I'm planning on it. There are advantages to playing a Cursed Renegade Chapter...

The bigger question is when. Charistoph Jr's birth a few months back has set my available fundage and time back a ways.

And yes, he's far too cute to sell on eBay.

Wildeybeast
08-13-2012, 04:33 PM
I voted the same, but for the opposite reason. If I can't fit the models in to my force, then I will just get the mini-book on eBay. Otherwise, I'm planning on it. There are advantages to playing a Cursed Renegade Chapter...

The bigger question is when. Charistoph Jr's birth a few months back has set my available fundage and time back a ways.

Nonsense, everything has its price.....

jifel
08-13-2012, 05:37 PM
I'll split it with my buddy. He plays Guard and Marines, so Im guessing he'll take the DA, while I play Nids and Iron Warriors, so I can handle either.

Hunter
08-13-2012, 08:07 PM
am buying a minimum of one , it depends on the "convertibility" of the models if am going to get more than one.

if the DA arn't too DAish , the bike would fit with my marrine biker command squad.

Saint_Anger
08-13-2012, 08:20 PM
No, not until the new codex:Chaos Space Marines is released.

Sainhann
08-13-2012, 08:36 PM
Well I have both a Dark Angel force already plus I also have a Guardians of the Covenant force so really do not need more Dark Angels.

Plus I really do not play Chaos so do not need those figures either.

So for me it is a maybe and a very low maybe at that.

Uncle Nutsy
08-13-2012, 08:45 PM
i'll buy it for the pocket rule book.

da_WaaaghMaster
08-13-2012, 08:57 PM
if the Chaos cultists could be easily converted to make DE wracks

Wow awesome idea. I never would've thought about using them for that. I'm stealing your idea :p
Yet another reason to buy the starter box. Thx.

Digitarii
08-13-2012, 09:08 PM
I'm going to get it for the chaos minis and the mrb.

Dalleron
08-13-2012, 10:32 PM
Yes Ma'am, if it all is a good buy. And with buying it, trading the evil marine half to friends who play chaos for the DA's, it should be a good deal.

And the MRB to boot.

I need some regular marines to bulk out the DeathRaven army I got going on.

Is the price goin to be similiar to Black Reach?

UltramarineFan
08-14-2012, 01:18 AM
I'm getting it for the chaos minis and the mini rulebook as well as the fact that these sets have always been good deals in the past.

Wolfshade
08-14-2012, 01:48 AM
Yes I am a collector, I must collect everything!¬!

eldargal
08-14-2012, 01:50 AM
Well that's another factor, I've bought every starter set since 2nd edition and I'm quite a traditionalist about such things so I'll probably get this one even if I don't like the miniatures.:rolleyes:

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
08-14-2012, 01:57 AM
Such is the collector's curse.

DrLove42
08-14-2012, 02:54 AM
Yep, don't play either of the armies but won't even trade most the minis (especially if they're nice)

- They can be allies
- They can be converted (the cultists will likely make nice Necromunda gangers)
- I like painting different things

And I just need the mini rule book. That hulk is too big to carry round all the time

Herzlos
08-14-2012, 02:56 AM
I'll see when it comes out and what it costs; I'm undecided if I want the DA for allies if I can get the box set cheap enough, or if I'll just get the mini rulebook.

I'd probably be more tempted to get a special edition box set (if they exist), if it's sufficiently special.

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
08-14-2012, 03:05 AM
And I just need the mini rule book. That hulk is too big to carry round all the time

It does however have the awesomeness of Celeres.

Wolfshade
08-14-2012, 03:29 AM
Mini rule book and templates!
How many flamer and blast templates do I need? Lots apparently looking at my stash of them.

Asymmetrical Xeno
08-14-2012, 03:58 AM
Maybe.

I'm not that well off financially, so I have to be more strict with the little money I do have for luxury toys I don't need. If the models are really REALLY awesome, I might be convinced to save up for it and get it for a discount somewhere online though.

That said, starter sets are awesome for poor people like me since you get way more stuff for the money than if you were buying the multi-part kits individually - so I love them for that. I don't really have much interest in the two factions involved though (have enough marines, and chaos arnt that interesting to me) but if the models look good enough I can be convinced otherwise! I do like the artwork of the crimson slaughter and the cultists might be what persuades me in the end. Guess I'll have to wait and see what the contents are like.

Maybe I could do some street begging to fund my (plastic) crack addiction. That could work. I'll have to get out my old novation bassstation synth and play some industrial tunes for money.

Chris*ta
08-14-2012, 09:04 AM

Did anyone else assume Charistoph Jr was a nickname for a certain part of his anatomy? Or is that just the way my mind works ...

eldargal
08-14-2012, 09:07 AM
Nope, that thought occurred to me also.

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
08-14-2012, 09:10 AM
It didn't occur to me....
How would that even work?
You can't birth a penis...

MY BRAIN, DO NOT WANT.

DrLove42
08-14-2012, 09:11 AM
Also it takes a special kind of ego to name your Wang....

Kyban
08-14-2012, 09:14 AM
Also it takes a special kind of ego to name your Wang....

And yet you capitalized it... :p

It didn't occur to me. Due to context probably.

DrLove42
08-14-2012, 09:15 AM
It desevres capitilisation. Kind of important :P

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
08-14-2012, 09:18 AM
I'd say the most important, means that we can continue our species. :D

Defenestratus
08-14-2012, 10:08 AM
Couldn't care less about Chaos or Dark Angels.

So even if the models are the most glorious that GW has ever produced - nope.

I'll end up getting the mini rulebook on Ebays.

Chris*ta
08-14-2012, 10:20 AM
I'd say the most important, means that we can continue our species. :D

So very not why it's important ;)

It didn't occur to me....
How would that even work?
You can't birth a penis...

MY BRAIN, DO NOT WANT.

I think the first time I read his post, I read birthday ...

... and it did strike me as slightly odd to celebrate your bits' birthday, but, hey, I'm not going to judge ;)

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
08-14-2012, 11:24 AM
My brain hurts.

Chris*ta
08-14-2012, 01:16 PM
My brain hurts.

Oh c'mon, I though you knew the entire internet is at best five minutes worth of discussion from a dick joke. ;)

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
08-14-2012, 01:23 PM
I've only just got back after a 5 year absence, so I'm fairly innocent. :p

Chris*ta
08-14-2012, 01:59 PM

Do you really expect any of us to believe that?

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
08-14-2012, 02:10 PM
My stepdad is a technophobe, and now I don't live with my parents! Yey!

I spent those 5 years owning the world.

Chris*ta
08-14-2012, 02:15 PM
I just wanted to repost this little exchange, and include a commentary on my thoughts as it goes on:

Oh c'mon, I though you knew the entire internet is at best five minutes worth of discussion from a dick joke. ;)

Wait, am I allowed to say dick on the internet? Will the mods get angry at me?

Wait, that's a mod, and he's joking back! I am TEH AWESOME INTERWEBS MANZZ!!! :)

Nearly as good as the first essay I did at University: There was one one argument from some guy that I just could not understand. So, I summarise as best as I can summarise something I don't actually understand, and then write "but what he means by this, I can not tell".

I worry about using the 1st person in an essay, and then I get the essay back. Oh dear, the marker has wrote a comment right next to that line, I look closer: "Neither can I! WIN!!! :D

I got a High Distinction on that essay too. Double WIN!!!

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
08-14-2012, 02:22 PM
Nice! *hi-5*

Chris*ta
08-14-2012, 02:29 PM
Its - sadly - a while ago now.

Huh, 2000? Geez, I'm old!

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
08-14-2012, 02:30 PM
I shall not ask, it isn't my position to. :p

Chris*ta
08-14-2012, 02:40 PM
My stepdad is a technophobe, and now I don't live with my parents! Yey!

Congratulations on moving out! It's funny how grown up you feel when you look at a fridge and think "Wow! I own something I couldn't carry off if I wanted to run away" ;)

I know moving out was the best thing I ever did for my mental health. Would put winkyface, but not actually joking :(

I spent those 5 years owning the world.

Being the only person who knows how to program the VCR is even better than knowing where the bodies are buried.

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
08-14-2012, 02:43 PM
Hah!

It mostly involved me being wasted at gigs. :p

Chris*ta
08-14-2012, 02:48 PM
Hah!

It mostly involved me being wasted at gigs. :p

YMMV.

My misspent youth period went from about 23 (when I started drinking) to 28, (when the pub that I played pool all night at and drank cocktails all night twice a week got rubbish).

Sadly, my pool game hasn't recovered since that point :(

I moved out of home when I was 25. Ah, the advantages of having a girlfriend whose place you can crash at for 4 or 5 days at a time!

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
08-14-2012, 02:50 PM
Would you like to resume this convo in PM?

Chris*ta
08-14-2012, 02:54 PM
Its 6:50 AM here. I should go to bed! Not joking, it's a sleep disorder. Another time?

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
08-14-2012, 02:59 PM
Indeed! Friend request inbound!

Wolfshade
08-15-2012, 02:17 AM
Derailed.
*Cough*

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
08-15-2012, 02:19 AM
You're derailed.

Wolfshade
08-15-2012, 02:21 AM
You're derailed.

That's what she said

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
08-15-2012, 02:23 AM
Anyway, to stop the risk 2nd derailment....

Wolfshade
08-15-2012, 02:35 AM
I've always wanted a mix and match box set, so I could choose to have orks and grey knights in a box and someone else could pick Dark Eldar and Imperial Guard.

Thoguh it would mean that the number of different starter missions/rules would be quite high :(

fuzzbuket
08-15-2012, 03:59 AM
I really like [topic of discussion] because the [part of topic of discussion] is really [cool/nice/cheap/easily convertiable].

i think i [may/probably wont] buy the new [topic of discussion] brecause [*insert reason here*]

-[*your username here*]

------------------
there we go the discussion is re railed or something.

Blackcloud6
08-21-2012, 12:15 PM
Maybe. What is in it?

Caitsidhe
08-21-2012, 12:17 PM
I'll buy it. I already agreed to split it with someone. I want the little rule book. The models look nifty. Splitting it up makes it worth it to me.

Anggul
08-21-2012, 12:30 PM
I don't even play marines of any kind... I'm just a sucker for limited edition things. Also I think if I ever played a marine army it would be Dark Angels or Ultramarines, so I ought as well. I'm sure a friend will want the chaos if I don't.

Zeshin
08-21-2012, 01:53 PM
Don't play dark angels or chaos so no starter for me. I will be buying the little rulebook as soon as it's available from an online purveyor of bits.

olberon
08-22-2012, 12:58 AM
voted for no.

I personally dont have any use for the models, templates and dice.
i will buy the small rulebook tho

DarthHawke
08-22-2012, 06:24 AM
yes i will be buying it!

incenerate101
08-22-2012, 06:57 AM
Well considering the quality of each sculpt and just how good the cultist models will look as a renegade guard detachment then yes. I plan on converting the DA into Emperors Children!:D

xilton
08-22-2012, 09:27 AM
For me, it's all a question of the mini rulebook. We still do not know if the rumors are right or not on the fact it's a full ruleset or only partial for beginners which would suck. What get's me is in the descriptions we've seen they don't talk about a mini rulebook but rather a ruleset (or other wording, forgot)

ElectricPaladin
08-22-2012, 11:32 AM
I voted no.

I don't play chaos, and don't want to start. And if I did, it would probably be sleek and spiky Thousand Sons with Daemon allies, not gribbly and gross (albeit beautifully sculpted...) chaos. I do play Space Marines, but converting some (also beautiful) clearly Dark Angels models into Blood Angels or Blood Ravens isn't worth my time.

Well, it would be worth my time if I were getting the models for free, or cheap on eBay. Heck, I just bout a Dark Angels techmarine head that's going to need a little converting. That, however, cost me $2. A box of beautiful specialty models that I can't use as is for $100? No thanks.

GrogDaTyrant
08-23-2012, 09:15 AM
I voted no. I have no interest in any of the models, and lost my interest in playing 40k altogether for that matter. Hell I didn't even buy the 5th ed starter set for 40k with the Orks in it.

Morbid
08-23-2012, 04:43 PM
I play DA and CSM. I am excited to get both in one place. It's also nice because I can either give the small rule book to my friends (since I got a gamers ed for 6th so I don't want a small book) or have a back up rule book for those who can't drop $95 on one.

I am more looking forward to the undated dex for both, but always nice to add to the forces in the intern.

swervbe
08-25-2012, 05:29 AM
Yes of course I'll buy it, then gloriously return to playing 40k for a few months, then probably lose interest and wait until 7th edition for the cycle to repeat.

Seriously though I always wanted to paint up a small Novamarine force and that's what I'll be doing with the Dark Angels, also the Chaos cultists look as though they will soon be my second favourite thing to paint behind Harlequins.

Bibbums
08-25-2012, 05:47 AM
Will there be a normal version of the box set which is cheaper, that doesn't have the interrogator chaplain, i would like it ,but just in case.

eldargal
08-25-2012, 07:25 AM
Yes, the first run gets the chaplain and is limited obviously, later runs will not have him.

Wildeybeast
08-25-2012, 01:28 PM
Will there be a normal version of the box set which is cheaper, that doesn't have the interrogator chaplain, i would like it ,but just in case.

Yes, the first run gets the chaplain and is limited obviously, later runs will not have him.

Whether they will be cheaper is another matter. Given it's just one model, I doubt it. The whole limited edition thing is just to help boost initial sales.

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
08-25-2012, 05:38 PM
News just in, by the sounds of it there will be another run of the LIMITED EDITION box set towards Christmas.

Necron2.0
08-30-2012, 11:04 AM
Was notified yesterday that my SE set is on its way (read it this morning).

doom-kitten
08-30-2012, 06:27 PM
The set looks good, but to be honest I hate CSM and the Dark Angels are the last marines army I'd choose to build. So I definitely don't see a point in picking up the set.

Herzlos
09-01-2012, 04:02 AM
I've ordered the LE box and got talked into the figure case though I'm going to just try and return it when it gets to the store. Whilst I'll use the Dark Angels I'll probably never take the Chaos Marines anyway, and the foam inserts won't intermix with my existing storage systems.

I'm surprised that both still show as in stock though, maybe they aren't as limited as I thought, or the take-up is underwhelming?

mysterex
09-01-2012, 04:39 PM
Probably need a voting key for "not buying the boxed set but will purchase some components via parts services".

I didn't want to pay for the full sized rule book partly because it weighs like a brick and partly because of the NZ pricing. Also, while the figures are nice I couldn't see myself wanting to use most of them as I already have fairly large CSM and marine armies.

So I've just ordered the mini rule book and a set of terminators (for conversion to my own chapter) from a parts service in case I decide I want to pay a "deathwing" army when the DA codex lands.

Durendin
09-01-2012, 09:03 PM
Dark Vengeance is interesting in that it's not so much a 6th Edition starter set but rather it's being marketed as a Space Hulk-esque stand-alone game with its own mission book etc. with the cherry on top of this strategy being the special figure case. The reason for this is clear - to give it some appeal to the non-Chaos or Dark Angel miniature collectors.

Now I'll definitely prick one up regardless of the marketing strategy just to get my grubby mitts on the minis!