PDA

View Full Version : Problems with Firefox

eldargal
08-06-2012, 09:41 AM
Has anyone else been having trouble with Firefox recently? I've been using the browser for years without problems but lately its been sluggish and prone to errors, crashing and refusing to load images for no good reason. I've done all the usual things like check of viruses, malware etc. I've reinstalled it and I only have a minimum of add-ons but nothing helps. :(

DrLove42
08-06-2012, 09:42 AM
I'm a loser and still use IE. Which on the internet means I'm an idiot

Has there been a new version recently? Cos you're not the first person i've heard mention it

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
08-06-2012, 09:43 AM
I use IE because I'm at work. xD

I've heard it mentioned too, see if it's a new version.

eldargal
08-06-2012, 09:58 AM
I did a quick google but couldn't find anything about a problematic new version recently. I did find, however, that my old history wasn't being deleted properly, there were months worth of history thingamies despite the fact I cleanse it every week. Hoping that was the problem.

Kyban
08-06-2012, 10:00 AM
Personally I use Chrome, is it less popular over there?
As for Firefox, try checking the cookies, probably not the issue but it could help.

energongoodie
08-06-2012, 10:26 AM
Chrome is where it is at.

Gotthammer
08-06-2012, 10:47 AM
Yeah, FF has been a pain lately - I put it down to flash, which has kept crashing on me, but it's updated several times and nothing's changed.

SotonShades
08-06-2012, 03:51 PM
I have no idea if my firefox is misbehaving. My laptop screws itself up first before I'd get chance to find out.

Psychosplodge
08-07-2012, 01:41 AM
I know I found this helped a few versions ago

The following taken from here

http://forums.ukcs.net/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=50044

Quote"I'm sure most of the people who use firefox know about all the addons like ABP and ghostery etc, that stop adverts and random junk loading and speed up your browser. However I bet most of you don't know about this (I only just discovered it today).

If you have broadband (as most of us do), you can use something called pipelining to speed up firefox. This allows Firefox to load multiple things on a page at once, instead of one at a time (by default, it's optimized for dialup connections, even after all this time).

I've just made these tweaks on my browser and have noticed a huge difference in how quickly things load. However I've not had a chance to fully test these advanced settings, so if you choose to try them; you do so at your own risk. I'm putting this up merely for information purposes. If you screw your browser up, it's your own fault (though the steps I'll outline below shouldn't cause any problems if you follow them properly).

Here's what you need to do:

* Type "about:config" into the address bar and hit return (you probably want to do this in a seperate tab so you can check back here).

* Type "network.http" in the filter field, and change the following settings (double-click on them to change them):

* Set "network.http.pipelining" to "true"

* Set "network.http.proxy.pipelining' to "true"

* Set "network.http.pipelining.maxrequests" to a number like 30. This will allow it to make 30 requests at once.

Right click a blank space in the window and Create a new integer value called "nglayout.initialpaint.delay" and set it to "0".

Right Click a blank space in the window and create a new Boolean Then enter "content.interrupt.parsing" in the New boolean value pop-up window and click OK, then set this to "true" when prompted.

Restart your browser, it should be noticeably faster...

You might not need all the commands, there may be more to add to it to further improve performance. These tweaks may even work in other browsers, but I don't use any other browser other than firefox, so I can't recommend you try it... That's up to you..."

Wolfshade
08-07-2012, 01:58 AM
I converted to chrome as Firefox became slower and more buggy.

Psychosplodge
08-07-2012, 02:08 AM
The reason I'm avoiding chrome is its too tied to google, and considering the terms and conditions on the latest youtube android app I'm avoiding google as much as possible.

I use commodo dragon as a back up browser which I think is a chromium build but with added security but it does take nearly a minute to load sometimes.. But I've found firefox has the most effective ad-blocker add-on. which is why I put up with it's tantrums.

eldargal
08-07-2012, 10:06 AM
Bah, it's less sluggish since I manually deleted everything in the history folder but it still crashes from time to time. /kicks tin can down lane

Psychosplodge
08-13-2012, 02:29 PM
its gone laggy for me on startup generally since they rolled out the new release every so many weeks...
It's certainly more ram intensive.

Verilance
08-13-2012, 03:05 PM
lol I thought it was my computer but if everyone else it is having the same problems...

my son recommended a switch to Opera for what it is worth

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
08-13-2012, 03:10 PM
I switched to Google Chrome, and now I have a House Stark theme. I am content.

Psychosplodge
08-13-2012, 03:11 PM
lol I thought it was my computer but if everyone else it is having the same problems...

my son recommended a switch to Opera for what it is worth

Apple Fanboi? or is that a different browser?

Kyban
08-13-2012, 03:13 PM
Apple Fanboi? or is that a different browser?

Apple's is Safari.

Psychosplodge
08-13-2012, 03:18 PM
Apple's is Safari.
oops my bad, I think i did try opera once
as not still on the pc possibly didnt like it

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
08-13-2012, 03:21 PM
This wins all.

Psychosplodge
08-13-2012, 03:26 PM
If you want google to know everything you do, sure...

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
08-13-2012, 03:28 PM
Surely then ANY web service can track that?

Psychosplodge
08-13-2012, 03:31 PM
probably
but google are probably your search engine of choice, know everywhere you leave their site for an if you use their browser potentially even more, which they can then sell in various forms elsewhere...

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
08-13-2012, 03:35 PM
True, but I left my tin hat back in the 70s. :p

Psychosplodge
08-13-2012, 03:36 PM
I'm quite happy wearing mine

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
08-13-2012, 03:39 PM
Damn... I miss that tin hat.

Psychosplodge
08-13-2012, 03:42 PM
Just find some foil and make a new one...though atm I'm loving my uber metal cowboy hat lol

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
08-13-2012, 03:52 PM
You sound like Joel. :p