PDA

View Full Version : Getting the most out of Monsters and Storm of Magic

eldargal
08-06-2012, 12:38 AM
I've noticed a lot of people on various internet forums saying things like 'SoM looks great but I can never get a game' or 'I'd love to use those monster scrolls of binding but my group never plays SoM' and things like that. This disturbs me somewhat, so I thought I'd explain how my games club gets the most out of SoM and the scrolls of binding.

Scrolls of Binding: You don't need to use these alongisde Arcane Fulcrums and the rest of the SoM rules. My games club nearly always agrees on a 25% scroll of binding limit alongside every regular game of WFB. It's not particularly unbalanced and it is a great excuse to use those lovely monster centrepieces we all love. Sometimes we even have monster heavy games where we take, say, 1000pt armies and then allow another 1000pts of scrolls of binding for each army. Great fun.

Storm of Magic proper (arcne fulcrums and all): Treat it as a supplement rather than an expansion, don't expect to play SoM games regularly. keep them for special events or the end of narrative campaigns. They can be widely unpredictable and sometimes unfair so they really aren't the best thing for regular games. The important thing is to approach them as opportunity to have fun with as much stuf as you can cram on the table (a la Apocalypse) rather than a serious tactical exercise.

So there you go, nothing profound, but hopefully it might show that there is no excuse not to buy and field those lovely monsters anymore.:p

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
08-06-2012, 12:43 AM
Interesting..... My newly hacked-up Chaotic Ogres are intrigued, think I'll have a word with the guys about setting up some games of this. :D

alshrive
08-06-2012, 02:53 AM
this is a brilliant article! i love the rules, and agree that Scrolls are well worth including in games! they add so much diversity!

Wildeybeast
08-06-2012, 08:49 AM
All sound like good ideas to me. People often over think this game sometimes and get hung up on doing things as exactly as they are in the rulebooks, forgetting that the books themselves say the rules are only a guide to how to play and you are free to apply them how you like!

eldargal
08-06-2012, 09:01 AM
Yep, and it isn't like you have to houserule anything. You just use the scroll of binding rules and not the rest of it. We did make a houserule that you can't take scrolls of binding of monsters that you take in your regular points allowance, just to avoid 4-5 hydrae in a single DE list or something.:rolleyes:

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
08-06-2012, 09:04 AM
20 DRAGONS! :D
Yey.

Grovel
08-07-2012, 05:41 PM
I would love for this to become more commonplace. Pacts, too.

Chris*ta
08-13-2012, 11:46 AM
20 DRAGONS! :D
Yey.

If you're using the no Scrolls-of-Binding-for-things-in-your-main-list rule, you could always play High Elves and use Scrolls for Dragons from other lists ;)

I actually like this idea for using Scrolls in "standard" games, it makes the crazy purchases required for Storm of Magic usable more often, and I think monsters are way better than regiments, anyway.

If I played Warhammer, I would so play this rule.

Mr.Pickelz
08-15-2012, 10:44 PM
Now if only dwarves could fit in more cannons...:D