PDA

View Full Version : Is Chimera spam cheesy in 6th?

Private Lucky
08-05-2012, 11:54 PM
6th edition has changed a lot of things including the power level of certain armies, like grey knights such. But I'm not interested in power level, I am interested in having good games with friends and strangers but I also want to adhere to my own play style. In most of my armies I tend to use a lot of redundancy with adherence to a theme. In my dark eldar army I use a Kabalite army with forward sloping wings as a theme in which I use venoms, reavers, razorwings, and only kabalite troops in my army. I used to have an all infantry imperial guard that I played. Now I have my eyes on a Steel Legion style list (which I will of course be playing as traitor guard if I do!) but one concern is that I really don't want to scare away all my friends and opponents in my Local game group.

So my question is, in 6th edition is a mechanized infantry using chimeras (only) be overpowered in 6th even with the addition of hull points, non capturing/denying vehicles, and such? My list will pretty much be a versitile list which will be able to form a gun-line or rush the enemy based on the mission objective and my opponent. Nothing to strong but the sheer quantity of 18 chimeras and 160 troops (155 of which are scoring) is what I expect would make it cheesy. I'd expect to lose in kill points too (at least the 6th edition version of kill points) but hopefully we won't roll that mission too much.

The list at 2500pts will have 3 of the following with a CCS w/4 Meltas, and chimera, and Al'reham added onto one platoon (his platoon also has one less infantry squad)
PCS w/ 4 Meltas, Chimera w/ Heavy Flamer, Heavy Bolter, Multilaser
x5 Infantry squad w/ Grenade Launcher, Autocannon, Chimera w/ Pintle Mounted Stubber, Heavy Bolter, Multilaser

My goal would be to have fun while playing a guard army with the doctrine of overwhelming them in numbers of infantry and tanks. I expect to take a lot of casualties but that is the life of the unmodified human in the grimdark future of 40k.

So what do you think? Would it be to much to handle for a normal game?

Wolfshade
08-06-2012, 01:44 AM
I don't think that it would be too much and after all it is quite a good "fluffy" army, i.e. it has a certain theme mech infantry.
In some ways, metal boxes have become easier to handle with them being more easily glanced to death.

The AKH
08-06-2012, 03:01 AM
2500 is a pretty large bracket for a "normal" game. Most armies will have more than enough shiny toys to deal with 18 Chimeras and 160 Guardsmen at that points level. The only possible way I can see someone having a bad day with that list is just getting frustrated at the sheer number of things to kill. :D

I would wager that most of the challenge lies in your corner. But, speaking as a player who runs infantry-heavy lists in pretty much all of my armies, if that's your style, go for it.

KrewL RaiN
08-06-2012, 10:21 AM
The changes to armour has dropped the cheese factor quite a bit. I still get headaches against massed armour since I main Tyranids, but armies with more anti tank fire power will be more of a threat. At least they aren't invulnerable and cant be all "lol last turn contest drive though"