PDA

View Full Version : Slaanesh Daemon/Chaos SM - LET'S DANCE!

Yeahbuddy42
08-05-2012, 10:07 PM
The list is built around the Slaanesh god and Pavane of Slaanesh - making the opposing side dance into the open. Main force are Daemons with allied attachment of Chaos Space Marines
[D] = Daemon
{C} = Chaos Space Marine

HQ - The Masque [D] = 100 pts
Troop - Daemonettes X 10 [D] = 140 pts
HQ - Herald of Slaanesh on Chariot [D] - Gaze, Pavane, Might, Soporific Musk = 125 pts
Elite - Fiends of Slaanesh X 4 [D] Unholy Might = 130 pts
HQ - Chaos Sorcerer of Slaanesh on Steed {C} - Lash of Submission, Icon, Familiar, Melta Bomb = 170 pts
Fast Attack - Seekers of Slaanesh [D] X 6 = 102 pts
HQ - Herald of Slaanesh [D] - Pavane, Gaze, Might = 95 pts
HQ - Herald of Slaanesh on Chariot [D] - Gaze, Pavane, Might, Soporific Musk = 125 pts
Elite - Fiends of Slaanesh X 3 [D] Unholy Might = 100 pts
HQ - Daemon Prince of Slaanesh {C} - Wings, Lash = 155 pts
Troop - Daemonettes X 10 {C} = 130 pts
TROOP - Daemonettes X 10 {C} = 130 pts (Unattached from HQ)
HEAVY - Daemon Prince of Slaanesh [D] - Might, Pavane, Daemonic Gaze, Aura of Acquiescence = 165 pts
HEAVY - Exalted Seeker Chariot of Slaanesh [D] = 90 pts
Cavalcade - Seeker Chariot of Slaanesh X 2 = 80 pts

I've done my best to put together a strong, fast, take on most problems list. I really like the Pavane idea and that is why it is incorporated so heavily.

Any comments to help bolster the list or if I have missed anything I would appreciate hearing about them. I like the slaanesh a lot and would like to stay within that theme.

Thanks

Saint_Anger
08-05-2012, 10:46 PM
If the game is limited at 2,000 pts, I don’t think you can double your allied CSM HQ. But as the rulebook is badly written, so you are allowed to do it. Double detachment is intended for bigger-than-2000 game in my opinion.
I think you need some CSM to be your troop. Lesser Daemon units are treated as Troop choice but not used up any slot in FOC. In standard FOC, you are required to use up one HQ and one Troop for your ally. This army list may be invalid though.

Denzark
08-06-2012, 01:59 AM
Remember Pavane can be cast on your own - up to 3 times from the Masque. This 3d6 is a better way of pushing your high initiative units into combat than relying on d6 to pull the opposition to you.

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
08-06-2012, 02:14 AM
My mate likes casting Pavane on people in buildings, and watching them dive off. It is hilarious! :D

@ Yeahbuddy42 - could you please structure your list to show clearly what is in it? We are fairly confused.

The Madman
08-06-2012, 03:36 AM
My mate likes casting Pavane on people in buildings, and watching them dive off. It is hilarious! :D

@ Yeahbuddy42 - could you please structure your list to show clearly what is in it? We are fairly confused.

what Dark agent say, i'm pretty sure you can't take 6 HQs in a under 2000pts list.

HQ - Herald of Slaanesh [D] - Pavane, Gaze, Might = 95 pts
HQ - The Masque [D] = 100 pts

Elite - Fiends of Slaanesh X 4 [D] Unholy Might = 130 pts
Elite - Fiends of Slaanesh X 3 [D] Unholy Might = 100 pts

Fast Attack - Seekers of Slaanesh [D] X 6 = 102 pts

HEAVY - Daemon Prince of Slaanesh [D] - Might, Pavane, Daemonic Gaze, Aura of Acquiescence = 165 pts
HEAVY - Exalted Seeker Chariot of Slaanesh [D] = 90 pts
HEAVY - Cavalcade - Seeker Chariot of Slaanesh X 2 = 80 pts

CHAOS MARINES ALLIES (?)
HQ - Chaos Sorcerer of Slaanesh on Steed {C} - Lash of Submission, Icon, Familiar, Melta Bomb = 170 pts

Troop - Daemonettes (lesser Daemons) X 10 {C} = 130 pts
TROOP - Daemonettes (lesser Daemons) X 10 {C} = 130 pts (Unattached from HQ)

TOTAL - 1977pts

so in total you have 4 HQs, 2 Elites, 4 Troops, 1 Fast Attack and 3 Heavy? that not even legal not to mention the use of two detachments. if you want this list first you need to take the points past 2000pts as you can only have one primary detachment and one allied detachment under 2000pts, then you'll be allowed a second primary detachment which allows you to take an additional allied detachment and fortification.

also you're lesser daemons from your chaos space marine allies don't take up an FOC so you haven't fulfilled the troops choices in your allies detachments. also having daemonettes functioning as both the CSM and CD units will be incredibly confusing without it being pointed out and with either conversion work or different paint schemes (maybe one that matches the armour of your chaos marines.

If the game is limited at 2,000 pts, I don’t think you can double your allied CSM HQ. But as the rulebook is badly written, so you are allowed to do it.

I don't understand how its badly written as i opened it up on page 109/110 and it clearly states he can't have 2 allied detachments under 2000pts.

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
08-06-2012, 03:44 AM
If the army list reads 2000 points however he is able to do it.

Don't 2 Heralds count as 1 HQ choice in 40k?

The Madman
08-06-2012, 03:48 AM
If the army list reads 2000 points however he is able to do it.

Don't 2 Heralds count as 1 HQ choice in 40k?

thanks for the catch, still under 2000pts though (1977pts) so he would have to drop a CSM HQ and add 1 Troop to it.

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
08-06-2012, 03:52 AM
Yarp. Points to The Madman.

Daemonette666
08-06-2012, 03:53 AM
Yes, 2 heralds, even named ones count a 1 HQ choice for the Daemons Codex. The greater daemons count as 1 HQ choice. So buddy42 could take 4 Heralds for this army.

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
08-06-2012, 03:59 AM
Yes, 2 heralds, even named ones count a 1 HQ choice for the Daemons Codex. The greater daemons count as 1 HQ choice. So buddy42 could take 4 Heralds for this army.

It's really the allies that are at fault here to be fair.

The Madman
08-06-2012, 04:25 AM
I've also noticed you have not shooty units other then the pavane and lash attacks. i would recommend so shooty units to take full advantage of pulling units towards/away from you. i would drop the lesser daemons and one of the HQs (i'd say the sorcerer) and use the points on noise marines, possibly using this configuration;

Chaos Marines (Allied Detachment)
Troop - 6 noise marines with 5 sonic blasters,1 blast master, personal icon = 190pts
Troop - 6 noise marines with 5 sonic blasters,1 blast master, personal icon = 190pts
ALLIES SUB-TOTAL - 535

leaving you at 1927pts but now leaving you with a legal army list. i would also recommend attaining some anti-tank units or upgrades as from experience people like to target the princes. also use the points to add flight to the Chaos Daemon's Daemon Prince as it will be a flying monstrous creature unlike the CSM one which is a jump monstrous creature.

EDIT:
I can't really vouch for the chariots as i have not used them but i'm not really impressed by the rules i'd drop them and either add an extra daemon prince or a Soul Grinder for anti-tank.

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
08-06-2012, 04:42 AM
Nailed it!

Yes, this army could do with more Anti-Tank.

Yeahbuddy42
08-06-2012, 07:18 AM
Points taken.
Some how I missed the part about the illegality of my list with the two HQ choices under 2,000 pts. I think I just saw "Allied Detachment", peed my pants and got too excited. Glad you guys caught it so I didn't look dumb at the local store.

I'll revise - Add some shooting - Add some more Daemon Princess instead of the Cavalcade HQ.

Posting the updated list tonight after work.

Any recommendations for Daemon shooting - The noise marines sound fun, but all I don't see much for my Slaanesh guys?

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
08-06-2012, 07:30 AM
Urrrrrrrrrmmmmm.... Daemons aren't great at shooting.
You're best off trying to get some tanks or havocs with the CSM.

The Madman
08-06-2012, 07:46 AM
unfortunately, Tzeentch has that department when it comes to shooting; Slaanesh's role seems to be lure and charge so you could rely on Chaos Marines to improve your shooting/anti tank.

for example you could invest in a Predator with twin-link lascannon and two lascannon sponsons to deal with tanks or parhaps a Havoc Squad or Obliterators. Land Raider could also do the job and provide a transport for one of your noise marine squads.

Obliterators are taken in large quantities for a reason; they can deep strike and morph their arms into a number of energy based weapons allowing them to not only anti-tank effectively but also deal with heavy infantry and tightly packed troops with flamers, plasma cannons or twin-linked plasma guns.

in Fast Attack you could take a squad of Raptors as they fit the style of play daemons use, slap a couple of Meltaguns into the squad for a minimum of 120pts

finally the Elite choice in shooty units could be filled by either a Dreadnought, Terminator Squad or Chosen Squad.

the Dread could be given a multi-melta though would have to close the range to be effective (especially in an army where most if not all the units deep strike, possibly leaving it as a lone target). a Lascannon and plasma cannon can work too, but keep in mind of the Crazed special rule that might leave the dread directing it's fire at your own side.

The terminators can work pretty well, armed with reaper auto-cannons and Chains fists and also have the ability to deep strike, they can get up close and personal pretty quickly with any hull unable to escape in time.

finally the Chosen squad works similar to the Raptors as a cheap "throw away" unit, as up to five of them can be armed with a variety of weapons (five meltas anyone?) and can infiltrate allowing them to get within at least 18" of an enemy unit.

if i were you i would dedicate my daemons to close combat whilst using my allies as a gun line, though i would recommend Soul Grinders if you lack the points for the more expensive options in the Chaos marine book.

The basic tactic for a slaanesh army is this; Pavane/Lash, Shoot, charge the survivors (if any)

Yeahbuddy42
08-06-2012, 11:01 AM
So I'm kind of getting the idea that Slaanesh aren't going to be the best option as a total force?

I play Tyranids mostly and so I am used to low toughness, low strength units that just charge into gun fire. However, from what responses I've read, it looks like Slaanesh have a bad reputation of just dying horribly before getting to charge?

Is a better suggestion to then switch the Daemon list to an All Daemon list, take out the Chaos Space Marine Allies, and bring in Nurgle, Tzeentch, and Khorne for variance and back up?

I just liked Slaanesh because they reminded me of Tyranids, but I can be convinced of taking Daemons from other gods. Suggestions?

Diagnosis Ninja
08-06-2012, 11:31 AM
People just have the opinion that "it dies horribly" if it isn't T4/3+ in this game. You already have plenty, just give it a try.

Denzark
08-06-2012, 02:45 PM
The best Slaanesh Army I saw was pure daemons based on Pavane (5 I think - 1 herald, 1 masque and one KoS.) Pushing your enormously high ini stuff into 1st turn combat. Worked a treat and minced MEQ. Only thing to factor in now is Sanp fire.

Resist the urge to change to Tzeentch no mater how he whispers in your ear!

Yeahbuddy42
08-08-2012, 09:59 PM
Revised Slaanesh List - Built from Denzark suggestion

HQ - Keeper of Secrets - Might, Gaze, Instrument of Chaos, Aura, Pavane, Transfixing Gaze = 270 pts
Troop - Daemonettes X 15 = 235 pts
HQ - Herald of Slaanesh - Might, Aura, Pavane, Soporific Musk = 110 pts
Elites - Fiends of Slaanesh X 6 - Might = 190 pts
HQ - The Masque = 100 pts
Troop - Daemonettes X 15 = 235 pts
TROOP - Daemonettes X 15 = 235 pts
TROOP - Daemonettes X 15 = 235 pts
FAST ATTACK - Seekers of Slaanesh = 119 pts
FAST ATTACK - Seekers of Slaanesh = 119 pts
HEAVY - Daemon Prince of Slaanesh - Might, Aura = 115 pts
HEAVY - Daemon Prince of Slaanesh - Might, Aura = 115 pts

Obviously, after skimming through the new list, I dropped the Chaos Space Marine Allies.
I tried some other lists with The Madman's Chaos Marine suggestion, but I just couldn't get it rounded out correctly to my eye.

I found it to be very difficult to get enough of what I needed :-) Kind of the "If I only had a couple hundred more points" problem.

I really like the Slaanesh units, but I'm moving towards a 3 or 4 Chaos god list to fill all the gaps in the army... I.E. Not enough anti tank, Not enough toughness, Not enough shooting. I run a completely gun-less 2,000 pt Tyranid army that works well to overwhelm, but I'm not sure yet that the daemons can manage this with their slightly higher points cost in some cases.

Trying my hardest to stay with Slaanesh (Nurgle is cresting the horizon for me) and keep away from the Tzeentch Denzark

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
08-09-2012, 01:05 AM
Noooooooooooo........... Embrace Tzeentch! Embrace the Infinity Machine!

Yeahbuddy42
08-09-2012, 07:05 AM
Oh the allure of the Tzeentch god. While I do very much enjoy Fateweaver, the Lord of Change, and the use of Bolt, they haven't quite struck my fancy yet. The Keeper of Secrets, god of Slaanesh, Claws, and unilateral breasts have kept me interested so far.

But I don't know Tzeentch's Dark Agent, maybe you could .... "Lord of Change my mind"... haha, sorry, sorry. That was barely funny and might sound a little homosexual (Not that there's anything wrong with that).

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
08-09-2012, 07:18 AM
Giggety. I'm flattered. :p

On the side of Change we have cookies, and cheese! OH THE CHEESE! TO DIE FOR!
Seriously, we're a bunch of flying, flaming, wizards that are mainly bird! What isn't to like? :D