PDA

View Full Version : SW - 1850 - 1st tourney list

Wex
08-04-2012, 11:40 PM
I've recently started up a SW army after a hiatus away from the hobby and was looking for some feed back. Here goes!

HQ's

HQ1 - Rune Priest - Living Lightning + Storm Caller + CotS - Attached to T1 - 110 pts

HQ2 - Rune Priest in TDA - Prescience + Random - Attached to H2 - 120

HQ3 - Wolf Priest - Melta Bombs, Runic Armor, Plasma Pistol (WYSIWYG Ulrik), SotHunter - Attached to E1 - 150

Troops

T1 - 8x Grey Hunters + Wolf Guard - 253 pts
GH - Pfist, Plasma Gun, Rhino, wolf standard
WG - 2x Wolf claw, Melta Bombs

T2 - 9x GH + WG - 238 pts
GH - Pfist, Plasma Gun, Rhino
WG - MotW

T3 - 10 GH + WG - 228 pts
GH - 2x PG, Wolf standard
WG - TDA, SS, WC

T4 - 5x GH + WG - 138
GH - Razorback
WG - Melta bombs

Elites

E1 - 10x Wolf Scouts + WG - 187
WS - 10x bolter, 9x Sniper, 1x ML
WG - TDA, Frost Weap, SS

E2 - 6x Wolf Guard Battle leaders (attached to their squads)

Heavy

H1 - 5x LF + SL + WG
LF - 5x ML
WG - Cyclone ML, SS, WC

H2 - 5x LF + SL
LF - 5x ML

The plan as it stands is to use the rhino's to cut off the advance and to keep the RP in LoS with his living lightning targets. They will also be going for points when appropriate. I'm not sure if the plasma guns will be more effective in the rhinos with how I plan to play them but that is something i will definitely test out.

The TDA rune priest is basically back there to act as defense for LF pack 1 and to buff LF pack 2. He will need to be within 12" accordingly. 7 ML shots with Rerolls? Yes please! I will probably Aim for a 2nd divination power since both the biomancy and telekinesis primaris power are not going to perform well for his position with perfect timing and forewarning being the best options with an honorable mention of scrier's gaze assuming I need to get the scouts in early. While this seems like overkill, SW doesn't really have an option for dealing with flyers without doing an allies list so getting those rerolls is pretty excellent for flyer hunting.

The wolf priest and snipers is something that could be decent since I will probably have them shooting with preferred enemy - infantry. Should be able to take out devastator squads pretty effectively but will usually be cannon fodder after that. Saga of the Hunter should help in that regard ( +1 to all cover saves)and will be pretty ridiculous since the termie has a SS... basically a 2+/2+ save model leading the pack .

If you have any thoughts or criticisms, please let me know.

the jeske
08-05-2012, 07:48 AM
why a fist on the GH , a power ax costs less and lets you get an extra A from bolt pistols while doing +2 wounds just like a fist . yes it doesnt ID stuff but that hardly should be considered a problem with all those LF and plasma.

2 units of wolf scouts when you cant charge stuff out of reservs/ouflanking/infiltration and you make them huge , I ask why ? you could take a 5 man with a melta/plasma plasma pistol maybe a pistol/twin pistol WG and it would still cost less and let you buy totems for th GH and better guns for the LF . 2 las per 5 LF is optimal .

I also dont understand the idea behind the wolf priest . with an ap 4 power mace he isnt doing much to meq , but he costs a lot points. If you want a hth unit you should take a lord or a lone wolf or again upgrade 4 RL to lascanons for the LF and/or the 5 man GH squad.

Wex
08-05-2012, 09:52 AM
thanks for the good info

why a fist on the GH , a power ax costs less and lets you get an extra A from bolt pistols while doing +2 wounds just like a fist . yes it doesnt ID stuff but that hardly should be considered a problem with all those LF and plasma.

This is something I've been debating for a while now and I decided to go with my old default back when I played BT in 5th. I will definitely give this a shot

2 units of wolf scouts when you cant charge stuff out of reservs/ouflanking/infiltration and you make them huge , I ask why ? you could take a 5 man with a melta/plasma plasma pistol maybe a pistol/twin pistol WG and it would still cost less and let you buy totems for th GH and better guns for the LF . 2 las per 5 LF is optimal .

I chose this route because it seems most of my LGS competition like to foot slog it and since they can't assault when they outflank, i wanted to get as many wounds in the squad as possible to create an opening for my rhino's to move forward and force my opponent to choose between 3 threats. I know they're not the most optimum choice but it's something I do want to try out eventually. I had thought about doing a 5 man all plas scout group but I'm not sure if I like how if they would be extremely sacrificial .

I also dont understand the idea behind the wolf priest . with an ap 4 power mace he isnt doing much to meq , but he costs a lot points. If you want a hth unit you should take a lord or a lone wolf or again upgrade 4 RL to lascanons for the LF and/or the 5 man GH squad.

I chose the wolf priest to maximize the effect of the sniper scout strat I discussed earlier and to make them more of a threat due to his granting preferred enemy - infantry. I now see that I would probably be better off dropping that idea.

Thanks again for the insight

Wex
08-06-2012, 04:32 PM
Well, after some thought I have updated my list. Again, any comments or criticism is welcome

HQ's

HQ1 - Rune Priest - Living Lightning + Storm Caller + CotS + Runic armor - Attached to T1

HQ2 - Rune Priest in TDA - Prescience + Random - Attached to H2

Troops

T1 - 8x Grey Hunters + Wolf Guard
GH - p weap, Plasma Gun, wolf standard, Rhino
WG - 1x Thunder hammer, 1x wolf claw

T2 - 9x GH + WG
GH - Pweap, Plasma Gun, wolf standard, Rhino
WG - MotW

T3 - 10 GH + WG
GH - 2x PG, Pweap
WG - TDA, SS, WC, melta

T4 - 5x GH + WG
GH - melta gun, Pweap, Razorback
WG - frost weapon, Melta bombs

Elites

E1 - 5x Wolf Scouts + WG
WS - 2x plasma pistol, 1x plasma gun
WG - 2x plasma pistol, melta bomb (gunslinger gives this group 6 plas shots when they enter the board, may switch PG to ML)

E2 - 6x Wolf Guard Battle leaders (attached to their squads)

E3 - Lone Wolf (may change load out)
WC + Thunder hammer + TDA

Heavy

H1 - 5x LF + SL + WG
LF - 3x ML, 2x las cannon
WG - TDA, Cyclone ML, SS, WC

H2 - 5x LF + SL
LF - 3x ML, 2x las cannon