PDA

View Full Version : Interest level

Majorcrash
09-30-2009, 04:11 PM
In the last few months, since the shine has started to wear off on my IG army, I have been picking up my LOTR models and read the WOR rules. Played a couple of games had a blast and now I convinced 3 of my other friends to plays as well. So I really like the plain jane ork. but how do you deal with a galadrim army.

Cryl
10-01-2009, 07:00 AM
Glad to hear you like the game and that there's people willing to see beyond the "pew pew lazorss" of 40k and try WotR and the SBG out.

The way you'll beat elves is sheer weight of numbers, sure their statline is immense (especially fight values!) but with mob rule each supporting company gives you 2 dice so with a formation of 9 companies and a frontage of 3 you can hit with 3*8 for your main companies then an additional 6*2 dice on top giving you 36 dice... elves aren't known for their high defense values and you can afford to lose more models than they can! 9 companies of Mordor Orks with full command is 260 points whereas 6 companies of Galadhrim with full command and shields is 400!

Drop the captain since you don't want to get a heroic duel called by the Fight 7 captain on your Fight 4 guy and you're down to 210 against their 400... that's virtually a 2:1 on the formation and with a significant number more models.

The alternative is the morannon orcs... more points but at defence 7 (with shields) you'll lose less models and they're S4 so will kill on 5's against the Galadhrim with shields...

Majorcrash
10-03-2009, 08:29 PM
Ok Well here is an example of my Mordor Army at 2K
3 full companys of blk guard + full command (250)
3 full companys of moranan orks +full cmnd (175)
3 companys of moranon orks + full cmnd & shaman (275)
3 companys of mordor orks + full cmnd+ shields (185)
Dark marshal (125)
4 company of warg riders + full cmnd and bows + shaman (250)
siege bow (50)
war catapult (100)
gothmog (110) general
3 company of eastering archers (105)
the Betrayer(125)
War Mumak (250)

so far this list hasnt been tried and I am hopefull

Cryl
10-05-2009, 01:13 AM
Personally I'd take the mordor orcs in greater numbers or not at all, they D3 which means shooting will thin them out pretty quickly (most good armies, particularly elves, are good at shooting), they won't hit that hard unless you give them 2H weapons and they almost rely on the 'Mob Rule' rule to get enough attacks in without getting wiped out. I'd bulk up the morannon orcs instead (I'm quite a fan of them for their points cost).

I'm not convinced by the shaman you're including in the companies, they're just too expensive especially when you consider you could have another ring wraith for just 25 points more, that or 4 companies of morannon orcs with shields, that said I've never actually tried them and they may be worth their points, just doesn't feel like it to me.

Black Guard I can't fault, sure they're not cheap, in money or points, but I really like the models (probably just me though!) and your opponent can't afford to ignore F5 beserkers coming at him.

I guess the easterling archers are in there to use the betrayers reroll to hit rule... have you considered allies in the form of Vrashku's Talons instead? S4 shooting is just plain dirty in a game with no armour saves :) I'm planning on painting my crossbow guys like they're Mordor Uruks rather than allies from Isengard.

Seige Bows work better with more than one, sure they hit hard but unlike the Gondor version they don't hit all that much, but they look cool, same goes for the war catapult - I just love the loader troll model.

Gothmog is great, mumaks are fun and wargs give you a little mobililty that you otherwise lack... playing devils advocate though you can get two trolls and have spare points for the cost of that mumak...

I'm not trying to change your list, just offer up some independant thoughts in case there's things you haven't thought of. Try not to be limited by the boxes the models come in, kinda feels like you're fielding formations of 3 because that's how the boxes ship and most importantly have fun with it, it's a great game!

Majorcrash
10-06-2009, 12:43 PM
first off to be honest I havent had the chance to use this list. Also this list is based on models owned. The shamans give me a little extra humph espescialy in get closer quicker. I did have more shamans but came up with the same thoughts as you. The mordor orcs are the be a speed bump at best or to soak up a cav charge. The Morrannons are their to do the dirty work. The black guard are only cause i love the models, but mine are mostly converted isenguard urakhai remodeled and given beasman shield from WHFB. I then am going to buy the command set an use them. I just bought another siege bow as my regular opponent plays dwarves and fields four of his balistae. I am hopeing that the longer range of the catapult may take them out or at least reduce the number. Also a primary target for my easterlings at first. I havent had a lot of luck with trolls which is why i'm hoping that the mumak will stomp some dwarf butt. also his army of the dead allies cant ignore it. The warg riders are just my flankers but i'm thinking of puting the knight of umbar in with them, to surprise someone when the wargs charg in.:D hope to get to try them out soon as there is a tourney at the end of the month and I would like to field test this army at least once.

icecube
10-07-2009, 06:47 AM
Well, as an reply to the original post i think the greatest strength of elves is terror. IŽf you really want to beat the elves youŽve got to find a way to ignore/limit the damage that terror causes to you. The easiest way to do this is to take some inspiring leaders (2 is great, one for cavarly and one for infantry). One thing that can also help is the instil valour spell if you play good guys. So just look at your factions ways to counter terror and i bet youŽll find the way. I hope that helped a little.:)