PDA

View Full Version : Battle Suits on the move!

Panxer
08-03-2012, 12:02 AM
Am I reading the jetpack infantry rules correctly? Movement phase gives you the option to move as infantry or fire thrusters (2D6), fire/run, THEN fire your thrusters again in the assault phase as long as you're not assaulting...

If this is how it is...then this is HUGE tactically... This gives XV suits a max movement range of 30" per player turn.

The draw back is that instead of moving 6" as infantry in the move phase, you could fire thrusters and roll snake eyes and move only 2", so it's potentially more risky in the end, but with the dice averages you're more likely to move at better range, so probably better to roll the dice in the movement phase...

Tynskel
08-03-2012, 12:10 AM
that's true.

however,
the bonus to Jet Packs is impressive. Really, snake eyes is 1/36. Doing that in the assault phase, again...

Quaade
08-03-2012, 02:00 AM
You're not reading it correct. Movement is done in the movement phase and under the rules, and summery at the back of the book, movement is 6". The thrust move can only be done in the assault phase and is the 2D6 random movement.

Panxer
08-03-2012, 09:41 AM
You're not reading it correct. Movement is done in the movement phase and under the rules, and summery at the back of the book, movement is 6". The thrust move can only be done in the assault phase and is the 2D6 random movement.

Jetpack entry reads move as regular infantry in the movement phase OR fire thrusters...so...it's your pick.

Quaade
08-03-2012, 01:03 PM
Fire thrusters is not a rule reference to thrust move. It's merely a reference to them being able to use the skyborne rule of jump infantry.
If it was a reference thrust it would say "move as normal infantry or use the thrust special rule.

In the movement phase they may move 6 as normal infantry or move 6" using the skyborne rule.

There's really nothing to pick other than a misunderstanding of fluff text.

Panxer
08-03-2012, 02:00 PM
Ok, lets break out the book...

P47

Caveat... Jetpack infantry ARE NOT jump infantry. The only commonality between the two is the 'skyborne rule which states that models with this rule can move over terrain and models freely but cannot end their movement on top of a model and if landed on terrain, a dangerous terrain roll must be taken.

"Jet Packs are designed to provide stable firing platforms rather than a means of getting into close combat. As with Jump Units, 'Jet pack' is not a classification in and of itself. Instead, you'll find it occurs in addition to another- jet pack infantry, for example. If no distinction is made in a unit entry, treat the model as Jet Pack infantry"

Movement: :"Jet Pack units can move as normal models of their type or activate their jet packs.".

Thrust Move: "A jet pack unit that is not locked in combat or charging can move up to 2D6" in the assault phase, even if they have shot or run in the preceding shooting phase or arrived by deepstrike that turn.".

"When jet pack units move in the assault phase and do no charge, they move just as they would when using their jet packs in the movement phase.".

So what does that say? Activate jet pack in the movement phase 2D6", Fire/Run, then in the assault phase (as long as no one is charging) can activate thrusters (jet pack) and move another 2D6" in the assault phase... so potential total movement range per game turn for jetpack units? 30"

Nachodragon
08-03-2012, 02:13 PM
Read Skyborne, "When using its jet packs (whether moving or making a thrust move, as we'll discuss in a moment) a model can move over..."

Thrust move is only an assault movement.

Normal movement is 6" and nothing special, or you can move 6" skyborne.

Notice no where in the description of this unit type does it say they move further than 6" in the movement phase.

Uncle Nutsy
08-03-2012, 08:52 PM
"jet packs" can only do something with impact tests, entering battlements, and landing on dangerous terrain.

no 2d6 movement in the movement phase. sorry. Look at the rules summary in the back if you're still confused.

Panxer
08-03-2012, 09:44 PM
Then the rules are fudged and need an faq. I quoted right from the text. It said either or, AND assault phase... Then the book is riddled with misspellings and grammatical errors, I'm sure the rules are full of holes too... SO by that rationale Jump infantry should only be able to move 6" in the movement phase...

I reject your version or reality and replace it with my own.

Panxer
08-03-2012, 10:04 PM
Ok, I read the back of the book in the game summary, and I do declare that that entry is gayer than ades. Not only does it sook, but it is in direct contrast to what the jetpack entry says in the unit type section...

So do las cannons shoot as assault 2 now and jump packs can only use their jump moves on a 3+ on tuesday at high tide?

"Well, at least we get the 2D6" in the assault phase..." Are you HIGH? which would you rather have? The unit type entry version of the rules, or the summary version... it's fragged. First remora LB burst cannons are only S5 AP5 heavy 3 (but we get 36", whoopee), and now the long hobbled tau, despite the shooting buffs because they're friggen awesome, don't get their Uber mobility because that would give them an 'advantage', or it would be 'cheezy'? Seriously? Ok..fine. Is it Tuesday at high tide yet, 'cause I got a D6, and I feel lucky...

Don't mistake me; There's a ton that I love about the new edition, but this? Kind of dampens my blanket.

Uncle Nutsy
08-03-2012, 11:50 PM
I don't see the need for a FAQ for something that's glaringly obvious. They activate the jetpack to A) land in impassable terrain (pass the DT check and I shoot you from on top of obelisk. You can't assault me, trololol), B) make a jump off a very tall building or C) get into places that most infantry can't.

take the phrase "jet pack", go to the index, look up the other entries for "jet pack", and you're done.

Hell, I thought that a jetpack and jump pack were one in the same, giving 12" movement. I was wrong. but if I was right, it would have been SO nice. Even beasts wouldn't be able to get suits in CC.

Quaade
08-04-2012, 01:53 AM
It doesn't suck, it's not fudged, it's plain as day, it's just the way you read it.

Panxer
08-04-2012, 02:27 AM
It doesn't suck, it's not fudged, it's plain as day, it's just the way you read it.

Hater...

Quaade...Start the reactor! ...Sorry I couldn't resist. The new film is going to sook soooo bad.:D

Whatever. You like not having superior mobility? That's fine. You sit there with your 18" range and smile...whatever floats your flotilla.

Grey Kanigets get cheez (and it's squigging out of their armor), Necrons can and distribute the cheez, Dark Elduhr got cheez, every variant of Spaz Mareen has Velveeta stamped on their power packs, Orks have cheez AND spam, Nids have spam but no cheez, IG MAKES the cheez AND spam, and Eldar and Tau get to share a cracker and every time there's a HINT of cheez OR spam everyone gotta hate and knock the cracker outta their mits.

Oooh...but you have S10 Rail Guns...Ooh, but you got deepstriking gundam suits...Ooh, but your stealth suits have stealth and shrouded now... Great. Thank you. Yes, my fire warriors can rapid fire at 15" now. Tetras and Sensor Towers make my weapons WAY more accurate. This is true.

Tau and Eldar FINALLY get some love in the new edition, and all of a sudden everyone's a tau/eldar expert and somehow against their getting some seriously needed buffs, while if they even played the armies in 5th, I'll bet the majority of the army's time was spent on the shelf while more fun and competitiveplastic minis got to see the light of day and the smoke of the table...

So yeah, I'm bitter, and happy that the Tau finally get some well deserved muskles and...

Can I please get a Remora Mounted with Long Barreled Bust Cannon with a TL 36" S6 AP4 Heavy 3 stat so I can actually hurt something that flies?

Can I please get a Sky Ray with some Sky Fire?

And can I PLEASE get some TAU XV8 suits that can use their jet packs 2D6" in the movement AND Assault phase so I can keep some Close combat ability having haters away from my suits?

Wait...what was that? Advantage? Cheez? Spam?...aaaw...pout...:( They hit my crackers to the floor and Tau's crackers are all dusty.:D

Eat it. No cheez for you!

Anggul
08-05-2012, 12:48 PM
It's completely clear, 6" move. Using their jetpacks when moving just means they can move over terrain and models but treat difficult and impassable terrain as dangerous terrain. 2D6" Thrust move is specifically described as being in the assault phase only.

Your blathering is literally just you saying: 'We should be better.' Just wait for the new codex, our Tau are doing pretty well anyway. No-one is against them getting anything, we're just answering your question and telling you what the rules say.

Panxer
08-05-2012, 09:21 PM
It's completely clear, 6" move. Using their jetpacks when moving just means they can move over terrain and models but treat difficult and impassable terrain as dangerous terrain. 2D6" Thrust move is specifically described as being in the assault phase only.

Your blathering is literally just you saying: 'We should be better.' Just wait for the new codex, our Tau are doing pretty well anyway. No-one is against them getting anything, we're just answering your question and telling you what the rules say.

Yeah the rules say literally as I posted from the text... you could use your jet packs or move like other units of their type in the movement phase, in the second paragraph of the thrust entry said you could use your jetpack just as you would in the movement phase. There's nothing in the jetpack section (being separate and distinct from jump infantry) that says jetpacks/thrusters fire once per turn. Then in the back of the book it states the opposite. Yeah. I got it. Thanks...

Wow...buzzkillington...Hey, yeah. All people who play an army want them to be better...ya? Why do you suppose there are space wolves or Grey Knight players... ? Because their passive, meak, and have no uber cheezy skills and abilities to draw from?

I don't think asking for some consistency in the rules and stats is unreasonable; and asking for a mediocre weapon stat on a flier or 6" more inches in a movement phase wouldn't break johnny's jaws of the world wolfscapades or He can still just cheez across the table with the maw of the vendetta squadron with like 9 lascannon shots at S9 AP2, and I'm asking for 3 TL shots per flyer at S6 AP4 (LIKE IT SAYS IN THE FW UPDATE BUT NOT IN THE AERONAUTICA IMPERIALIS BOOK), and that's blathering bout being better than everyone else?

Yeah, Tau being honestly competitive...yeah that would be a bad thing...:( Just terrible.

Forget this thread.

Tynskel
08-05-2012, 09:26 PM
I think I might have to relinquish my crown as Forum Troll, because this last post just takes the cake.

Panxer
08-06-2012, 05:56 AM
SSSHHHH!!! I don't think he knows I don't really care and that it's fun to whine on forums to get other people to bite at your logical inconsistencies... (^_^) I'll take the crown though if you're not using it...hee haw...

krittoris
08-06-2012, 09:30 PM
wow

Anggul
08-07-2012, 03:52 AM
I think I might have to relinquish my crown as Forum Troll, because this last post just takes the cake.

It is quite impressive. At least you keep your trolling consistent, this is just way out there. ;)