PDA

View Full Version : Oh rearry?

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
08-02-2012, 01:09 AM
Hello all,

Looks like Faeit might be on to something about the Tau, see here (http://natfka.blogspot.com/2012/08/rumors-everything-you-have-heard-is.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+Faeit212+%28Faeit+212%29).

I leave the floor of discussion to you.

alshrive
08-02-2012, 02:03 AM
i can see the logic in the discussion! it would also allow me to get some awesome models and then get the rules (this is better for gw than my wallet!).

I will go and buy things because they are cool, they will release the codex, i will realise my cool choices are useless and buy yet more! my wallet already aches but i don't care!

ALShrive

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
08-02-2012, 02:16 AM
Same here man. Tau were my first ever army, if they become good again then I may take up the banner of the blue fishmen. :D

Psychosplodge
08-02-2012, 02:20 AM
Fishman? I thought they were evolved cows?

DrLove42
08-02-2012, 02:20 AM
My Tau saw the tabletop precislely twice in 5th edition.

I am yet to try them in 6th, but look forward to it

Problem with a models first, rules 2nd approach is you could buy something cos it looks awesome, then find out on the tabletop it sucks (Mandrakes, some dreadknight weapon options, Falchions, Doomsday Barge, Flayed Ones)

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
08-02-2012, 02:25 AM
You say that Flayed Ones suck, I don't think you've seen their potential, but that is irrelevant.

My mate Chris is quite the Tau player, he's fielded them many times in 5th and 6th with relative success. I think the last time I had Tau was back in 4th...

Psychosplodge
08-02-2012, 02:55 AM
Yeah mine had fun in 4th, Shas'O took a daemon prince down in H2H combat, and submunitions blasting apart horrors. It was glorious...

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
08-02-2012, 02:58 AM
I always ran Farsight, because Farsight is god.

If he's still in the 4th (I think we're on their 3rd codex now?) Tau codex then I will resurrect the Farsight Enclave, especially if he got upgraded like that model I saw at Games Day a couple of years ago. That was beautiful.

DrLove42
08-02-2012, 03:01 AM
Frasight is great, particularly against Orks now you get preffered enemy in shooting.

His huge downside though is severly limiting what options you can take

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
08-02-2012, 03:05 AM
I think that they'll get rid of that in the new 'dex.
I only ever really used Fire Warriors and Battlesuits anyway, mechs are where it at. :D

I think that Farsight will make Crisis Battlesuits into a troops choice when Tau get updated.

He's also what, like Initiative 5 in the current codex? That's amazing.

DrLove42
08-02-2012, 03:24 AM
Its not the loss of Kroot or Vespids that bug me..

Its only being able to take 1 hammerhead. And 1 broadside squad. Thats what limits it for me. If skyrays were given skyfire (they should be) then could take 1 of each and it'd be a much better option

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
08-02-2012, 03:38 AM
I can see Markerlights being able to grant Skyfire. :D

Yeah, that bugged me slightly, though I made sure that I had a nicely kitted out squad of Broadsides.

My main tank killers were Crisis Suits though, I had "Team Suicide" who's job was to drop next to a vehicle that I wanted destroyed and melta it to death. They had shield generators that meant they could survive at least another turn.
They ALWAYS took out more than double their points by the time the last man had fallen.

Skandar
08-02-2012, 03:39 AM
He's also what, like Initiative 5 in the current codex? That's amazing.

Won't stop him whining to the judges to get a silver...

Wildeybeast
08-02-2012, 06:46 AM
Fishman? I thought they were evolved cows?

Depends on what branch. They are all evolved from the same point, like mammals, but are now separate subspecies, if not species. The Air caste are distinctly avian animals, the fire warriors were nomadic plains dwelling herbivore types. So whilst the fire caste are probably comparable to cows, the air caste are more like bats.

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
08-02-2012, 06:49 AM
Why are we discussing the evolutionary patterns of a non-existent species? :p

Psychosplodge
08-02-2012, 06:53 AM
Why are we discussing the evolutionary patterns of a non-existent species? :p
because we can...

Depends on what branch. They are all evolved from the same point, like mammals, but are now separate subspecies, if not species. The Air caste are distinctly avian animals, the fire warriors were nomadic plains dwelling herbivore types. So whilst the fire caste are probably comparable to cows, the air caste are more like bats.

I never really got that from the codices, or the index xenology or whatever it's called.

alshrive
08-02-2012, 06:53 AM
because it beats dealing with piles of paperwork that are forming a fort on my desk!

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
08-02-2012, 07:00 AM
Sounds like a fair reason, let us continue! :D

Wildeybeast
08-02-2012, 10:10 AM
I never really got that from the codices, or the index xenology or whatever it's called.

I should perhaps put in a disclaimer that this is my reading of the very limited info in the codex. Before the coming of the ethereals it mentions the fire warriors being heavy built plains dwellers whilst the air cast use membranous wings to soar on air thermals (wings that they have either now unevolved or have artificially removed since they became pilots according to all the artwork). If you look at the air caste models and artwork they are clearly a different subspecies to the fire warriors. I'm sure I read a reference somewhere saying the air caste actually spend so much time in space that they have adapted to lower gravity and now struggle on the ground, though that doesn't make much sense as surely they would maintain artificial gravity to an 'earth' norm level.

magickbk
08-02-2012, 01:34 PM
Not that everything isn't subject to extreme retcon every time a codex is released, but all Tau were descended from plains dwelling herbivores. The same accelerated evolution that caused the Tau to develop so quickly is what caused them to diverge so quickly when the Ethereals split them into the Caste System. The Air Caste evolved hollow bones within a few generations of building vessels at dockyards and ferrying the troops around.

Kawauso
08-02-2012, 03:20 PM
I can see Markerlights being able to grant Skyfire. :D

I cant.

Enemy air support is not the sort of thing on which you tend to use targeting lasers.

I also don`t see skyfire being spread throughout so much of an army.

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
08-02-2012, 04:00 PM
So how then do surface-to-air laser guided missile systems work? :p Also, I can see the Tau doing that as they are jammy hi-tech fishie men. (except for Shadowsun, she's a chick)

Kawauso
08-02-2012, 04:55 PM
So how then do surface-to-air laser guided missile systems work? :p Also, I can see the Tau doing that as they are jammy hi-tech fishie men. (except for Shadowsun, she's a chick)

We`re not talking about computer-aided guidance here, though. Most of the markerlight platforms for Tau are an infantryman with a laser pointer. :P

Bigred
08-02-2012, 05:20 PM
All this talk of Tau makes me want to eat sushi.

Now I want to categorize all the castes by their type of sushi.

That makes me wrong doesn't it...

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
08-03-2012, 12:40 AM
OM NOM NOM.

You know, I've never eaten sushi.... There's something about eating something uncooked that just seems...... Unnatural.

Diagnosis Ninja
08-03-2012, 01:18 AM
All this talk of Tau makes me want to eat sushi.

Now I want to categorize all the castes by their type of sushi.

That makes me wrong doesn't it...
But... Sushi is fish. Tau have hooves :P

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
08-03-2012, 01:26 AM
We have feet. Fish do not have feet.
We apparently evolved from fish-like creatures.

Science?

Psychosplodge
08-03-2012, 01:28 AM
They're pissed off cows, If a cow had a chance it would kill you and everybody you cared about...

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
08-03-2012, 01:38 AM
But cows are so cute!

Psychosplodge
08-03-2012, 01:47 AM
But cows are so cute!
once they've become steak? Tasty tasty steak...

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
08-03-2012, 01:55 AM
Not a big fan of steak if I'm honest.

Anyway, what are we expecting from a new Tau codex?

Psychosplodge
08-03-2012, 01:57 AM
Not a big fan of steak if I'm honest.

Heretic

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
08-03-2012, 02:03 AM
I don't like chewing for days on end.

That said, I enjoyed a GIANT STEAK in America. That was awesome.

Brits don't do steaks like the yanks do.

Psychosplodge
08-03-2012, 02:10 AM
chewing for days on end? O_o?

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
08-03-2012, 02:11 AM
Most steaks that I've eaten over here have been chewy, and it's pretty much put me off.

I'm sure that that's the product of overcooking, but I just can't bring myself to eat it.

Psychosplodge
08-03-2012, 02:15 AM
Yeah, clearly either too cheap a cut, overcooked or both...

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
08-03-2012, 02:26 AM
I had it like that when I was a kid and it's put me off, just like when I had a really bad shandy once, put me off for life.

Psychosplodge
08-03-2012, 02:30 AM
Yeah I got really wasted on cheap whisky once, and that put me off, but then I went scotland and drunk the proper stuff...

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
08-03-2012, 02:34 AM
Plus, cows are cool. There was a field near my old house where I could pet them.

Can we get back on topic? Cheers.

Psychosplodge
08-03-2012, 02:37 AM
And yet, all the time they were plotting your demise....

probably

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
08-03-2012, 02:41 AM
Spectacular.

Psychosplodge
08-03-2012, 02:42 AM
Indubitably