PDA

View Full Version : Starting wood elves army. Help!

incenerate101
07-29-2012, 11:39 PM
I have thought up a decent list to strive for in my opinion

2495 pts

20x Glade Guard
Musician
Standard
Lords Bowman

10x Glade Riders
Musician
Standard
Horsemaster

10x Glade Riders
musician
Standard
Horsemaster

35x Dryads
Branch Nymph

12x Warhawk Riders
Wind Rider

10x Waywatchers
Shadow Sentinel

Spell Weaver
Level 4
Resplendence ( Magic attacks for the entire unti )
Ryhmes Harp

Branch Wraith
Level 1
Respledence
Befudelment ( Inflicts stupidity on target unit )
Pagent

The Spell Weaver will join my way watchers unit giving the entire squad magic attacks, and the Branch Wraith will join the Dryads giving them magic attacks as well.

I figure that my Glade Guard can support well enough in a large unti with their range while the Glade Riders work their way into Close Combat giving my Waywatchers and Dryads enough time to make close enough to make their magic attacks worth it.

Depending on the spells i roll for my casters i could even use forests as moving cover for the dryads and waywatches.

Thoughts?

Wildeybeast
07-30-2012, 05:40 AM
I preface this response with the view that every army list is individual to it's creator and it's only right if you are happy with it. That said, here are my views as a WE player.

Firstly they are all kinds of broken and it is difficult to make a competitive army with. Unless you desperately want to start them, I'd recommend picking another army as they are frustrating to play with and IMO are not going to get a new army book in this rules edition because they would be impossible to fix without completely changing their ethos and playstyle.

Some thoughts specifically on your list. Don't bother with a command group for your archers. If they get into combat they are dead, regardless of the foe. A command group will do nothing to change that. Other than champion's improved BS, they add nothing to you shooting which is the purpose of the unit.

Glade Riders are alright , but will die very quickly in CC so unless you need them for your core allowance or want their shooting, at 2 points more Wild Riders are a much better option.

Lots of Dryads are good choice. I run them in small units so you get lots of drops in the deployment phase to help you control it more.

I don't see the point of Warhawk riders and the models are metal so will be a pain to play with. How are you planning to use them.

The magic users are one of the good choices in a WE army.

Why no Treekin? Treekin are by far the best unit in the whole army under the current rules and will mash stuff up as well providing you with some much needed durability in your army.

What lore are your using for your level 4?

Bean
07-31-2012, 06:40 AM
I agree with Wildey. Wood Elver are cool, but prepare to be frustrated.

Command on shooty units usually isn't worthwhile--this includes the unit leader for the Waywatchers.

Wild Riders are a really good upgrade over Glade Riders.

Treekin are good (this is kind of a change from last edition). The Treeman is pretty good, too, and Warhawk Riders kinda aren't. Consider swapping them out for Treekin or something.

Dryads are good, and the champions are good with them. Not sure a huge unit is the right call, though. more smaller units is probably better.

Not sure why you would take Resplendence on the Branch Wraith--her attacks are already magical, and she's gonna go in with the Dryads, who also already have magical attacks.

If you're planning on playing the Lore of Athel Loren and casting Treesinging a bunch, give your level 4 the staff that lets her cast it more than once per turn.

incenerate101
08-20-2012, 01:47 PM
Thanks for the advice guys ive edited my list and havent lost a game yet! Wood Elves arent broken afterall!

Wildeybeast
08-20-2012, 03:03 PM
Glad to hear you are doing well with them, it is possible, it's just often hard work and frustrating.

incenerate101
08-20-2012, 07:29 PM
Lol I love a challenge I play a lot of strange lists that theoretically shouldn't work with great success in both 40k and now fantasy. I look forward to becoming the guy that people come to for tactics in both systems!

Dominic
08-21-2012, 12:11 PM
Wood Elves is an army which requires some finesse to play, its all about how you move, if you can manage that it makes playing with them a whole lot easier; my advice, your movement phase is the most important phase for you, don't make any silly mistakes and you'll be fine(ish) ;)

incenerate101
08-21-2012, 04:16 PM
With my list my units don't move except to take charges :)

Dyrnwyn
09-08-2012, 08:28 PM
I know this is old - but a couple of issues.

35x Dryads
Branch Nymph
You cannot have a unit of 35 Dryads. They cap at 20. You will need to break this up.

Branch Wraith
Level 1
Respledence
Befudelment ( Inflicts stupidity on target unit )
Pagent
Resplendence is duplicated, and besides, it provides no benefit. Dryads already have magical attacks, and the Branchwraith cannon join a non-Forest Spirit unit, all of which already have magical attacks.

The Spell Weaver will join my way watchers unit giving the entire squad magic attacks, and the Branch Wraith will join the Dryads giving them magic attacks as well.
You cannot duplicate magic items, and the Dryads already have magical attacks. The Dryad unit will have to be split up, so you can't lump them together to Deathstar them anyway.

Thanks for the advice guys ive edited my list and havent lost a game yet! Wood Elves arent broken afterall!
For some reason, whenever I see someone saying 'Wood Elves aren't broken!' they are almost always reading a rule(or rules) wrong.

Eljonson
10-23-2012, 03:08 PM
MSU to survive!!! Multiple Treeman to hold up units to buy time for your shooting!!!