PDA

View Full Version : Deadliest Units in 6th

Mr Mystery
07-28-2012, 07:24 AM
Hurrah! It's another thread for discussion!

This time, I'm looking to see which units now strike fear into your army, and which of your units you feel is now capable of punching far above it's own weight!

For me, my superheavyweight unit is the Necron Royal Court. Maxed out in terms of numbers, it's deceptively cheap, and even skimping on upgrades it's a really nasty little unit. For the price of 12 and a half Firewarriors, I can get 5 Crypteks with the Haywire Staff of beardy doom. Yup. Provided they've had no losses by the time they're in range that's 20 (count 'em) Haywire shots a turn. Yeah. That can drop even a Titan in a single volley! And at S AP4 they're still well pokey against most infantry. Add in 5 Lords, even with just Staffs of Light, and you can hump most units in the game with shooting. With the various upgrades available this unit is capable of mashing anything and everything the enemy can throw at them. You think Mindshackle Scarabs are a pain in the bahooky one at a time? Yeah I can 6 in that unit (Overlord and 5 chums). I double dare you to charge me!

As covered, even with upgrades this is not a massively or prohibitively expensive unit. Chuck in a Veiltek (reducing the number of Lekky Staves by one) and I can jump around the board with relative impunity, hitting my opponent where he needs it least! Add in the fact they're all characters and thus benefit from Precision Strike and Look Out Sir, and it's absolutely rock hard! And in terms of survivability? Every single one of them has Ever Living, so even if things go horribly wrong and they all drop, they still get a chance at reamination. And I can have multiple Resurrection Orbs to really take the mick!

Yet there is a unit out there than puts the willies up me. No, it's not Paladins. Close though!......it's Wolf Guard. Horrendously flexible unit, can be kitted out to pretty much any mission, and again they're ALL characters. I don't wanna fight that. It's horrible. They can have Precision Strike Assault Cannons. Or Cyclones......So much filth! As with the Royal Court, precision strike makes them extra deadly just with a very basic kit out.

So, your turn now! What's your cheddar, and what's your cheese knife?

the jeske
07-28-2012, 07:48 AM
I dont get it . how are paladins worse . 1 paladin in a termi armor costs less then 2 WG in terminator armor for the same wounds. yes WG get precision shot combi plas and cyclons , but paladins get precision shot on psycannons .

Mr Mystery
07-28-2012, 07:59 AM
I dont get it . how are paladins worse . 1 paladin in a termi armor costs less then 2 WG in terminator armor for the same wounds. yes WG get precision shot combi plas and cyclons , but paladins get precision shot on psycannons .

It's the potential kit outs. Plus, most threats to Terminators will cause instant death, so the wounds thing to me is less of a consideration!

But this is of course a discussion, so all points valid!

gendoikari87
07-28-2012, 08:24 AM
It's the potential kit outs. Plus, most threats to Terminators will cause instant death, so the wounds thing to me is less of a consideration!

But this is of course a discussion, so all points valid!

most threats are going to be str 7 though, executioners, plasmacannons, plasma guns, plasma rifles. sure there's the odd medusa but how often do you see them?

Mr Mystery
07-28-2012, 08:28 AM
most threats are going to be str 7 though, executioners, plasmacannons, plasma guns, plasma rifles. sure there's the odd medusa but how often do you see them?

True, but Wolf Guard still send the willies up me!! The sheer variety of them gives them an edge.

gendoikari87
07-28-2012, 08:55 AM
True, but Wolf Guard still send the willies up me!! The sheer variety of them gives them an edge.

Meh str 5 Initiative 6 2 attacks with a 2+ save gives me the willies

Sainhann
07-28-2012, 09:28 AM
Well since I have always believe in firepower and using units that I do not care if they get killed.

I am all for the lowly Imperial Guardsman.

He can bring loads of firepower to the table and quite frankly he brings so much of it you do not care if you lose 30-40 guys.

Because you will still have close to 100-150 Guardsman remaining.

They may only have flashlights for weapons but even those can kill.

If the Eldar Guardians still had their 24" S. Catapults I would have gone with them. But they lost those many, many years ago.

But I fear no unit because everything can die. Some just take a bit more to kill them.

CrimsonTurkey
07-28-2012, 09:46 AM
Ymgarl Genestealers. They are one of the few things that can be relied upon to kill terminators in hand to hand, they can still assault from reserve, and with reserve rolls getting easier, they're on the board sooner than they were in 5th.

ragnarcissist
07-28-2012, 10:01 AM
something about scarabs i just cant stand....

but for my opponents, it has to be my thunderwolf deathstar that obliterates anything it touches

Defenestratus
07-28-2012, 10:54 AM
Eldar Pathfinders. AP1 on a 5 or 6 to hit, combined with the sniper rule makes these guys perfect at picking heavy weapons out of dev squads, powerfists out of assault/tac squads.

LoS mitigates it a bit but they're still worth their weight in gold.

DrLove42
07-28-2012, 11:24 AM
Eldar Pathfinders. AP1 on a 5 or 6 to hit, combined with the sniper rule makes these guys perfect at picking heavy weapons out of dev squads, powerfists out of assault/tac squads.

LoS mitigates it a bit but they're still worth their weight in gold.

Finecast doesnt weight that much :-P

Combine them with farseer and divination. Reroll to hit, and ignore cover saves.

Mr Mystery
07-28-2012, 11:50 AM

Combine them with farseer and divination. Reroll to hit, and ignore cover saves.

Urrgh! Not nice!!

Uncle Nutsy
07-28-2012, 01:02 PM
I got to liking the idea of three plasma/missile pod crisis suit coupled with a farseer with divination. ow.

I would rather have the Corsair Void Dreamer have that, though.

come to think of it, if I paired the corsair prince with Tau, I could give my piranhas or hammerheads deep strike.

Archon Charybdis
07-28-2012, 01:35 PM
Urrgh! Not nice!!

The ignore cover saves is only if you get lucky and roll the right power, and you're still talking 10 shots at best. With a 10 man squad of Pathfinders and a Mastery Level 2 Farseer, you're talking the better part of 400pts. It's a useful unit to be sure, but given it's dependence on rolling the right power, and only doing an average of 4-5 wounds, it's not terribly impressive for the points. I personally prefer a more trim Ranger unit to camp objectives, be not terribly threatening, but be able to knock off the occasional sgt or heavy/special weapon in a unit.

jifel
07-28-2012, 01:42 PM
Now, only two things scare me.

Farseers/Eldrad, and Rune Preists/Njal.

Runes of Warding is super annoying, and the auto Nullify on a fixed dice roll is disgusting for the Rune Priests. My Bugs depend on their psychic powers, and with them I feel like I can take down any unit in the game, unless Im being interfered with.

Defenestratus
07-28-2012, 02:47 PM

Fortunately, all of my rangers are the OLD OLD school pewter :P

Anggul
07-28-2012, 02:59 PM

I'd rather use Doom. They hit on 3s anyway, but wounding on a 4+ with such expensive models just doesn't do enough most of the time... unless you're re-rolling them and also getting more Rends. :D

gendoikari87
07-28-2012, 03:37 PM
Fortunately, all of my rangers are the OLD OLD school pewter :P

Respect. *salutes*

Scorch
07-28-2012, 04:05 PM
I'm still a fan of my Space Wolf Drop Pod Assault.
3 drops pods in the army, meaning 2 arrive automatically in turn 1. In one of these, I have a unit of 6 Long Fangs, with 5 Multi-meltas. With them, Logan Grimnar for the Relentless so they can shoot the turn they arrive, and for even more close combat deterrence, Arjac.
Arriving next to them, or as close as possible, a drop pod with 4 Wolf Guard, with Njal to buff them a bit.
Thoughts on that?

ragnarcissist
07-28-2012, 05:03 PM
I'm still a fan of my Space Wolf Drop Pod Assault.
3 drops pods in the army, meaning 2 arrive automatically in turn 1. In one of these, I have a unit of 6 Long Fangs, with 5 Multi-meltas. With them, Logan Grimnar for the Relentless so they can shoot the turn they arrive, and for even more close combat deterrence, Arjac.
Arriving next to them, or as close as possible, a drop pod with 4 Wolf Guard, with Njal to buff them a bit.
Thoughts on that?

uhhhh i count 4 units there hoss... and thats like 1000pts on its own..... the OP said deadliest UNIT, not army list

Mr Mystery
07-28-2012, 05:11 PM
Indeed. It's a tasty build, but a combo and this sadly disqualified for now :)

KrewL RaiN
07-28-2012, 06:16 PM
Now, only two things scare me.

Farseers/Eldrad, and Rune Preists/Njal.

Runes of Warding is super annoying, and the auto Nullify on a fixed dice roll is disgusting for the Rune Priests. My Bugs depend on their psychic powers, and with them I feel like I can take down any unit in the game, unless Im being interfered with.

I feel the same way. Runes of Warding always bugged the crap out of me before. Whole board coverage is so wrong, but then again, the Eldar are meant to be the ultimate psychic race and should have that kind of power to stop said powers against them. The new psychics gave the bugs an enormous boost, and shutting that down hurts a lot!

MaltonNecromancer
07-28-2012, 08:55 PM
For the price of 12 and a half Firewarriors, I can get 5 Crypteks with the Haywire Staff of beardy doom.

Would that be the beardy staff of 12" range? I'm fairly confident that if you want to hunt pretty much any sort of vehicle and you've only got a 12" range you're gonna have a pretty tough time of it. They're not bad, no doubt, but they require you to take an Overlord, plus you lose all the synergies they could bring to the rest of your army. Plus they're not that tough. A neat trick, yes, but now that Gauss pwns vehicles quite thoroughly, they're not much better than a 10 man unit of Immortals (who can hold objectives and have both better range and better anti-infantry fire).

As for deadly units, the IG 50 man blob, with Commissar and Priest (with Eviscerator). It's a hideous tarpit where assaults never end, it can dish out a fair amount of damage, and the psychological effect of rolling 150 dice for a single round of shooting cannot be understated (3 shots per man with the right orders).

2+ saves cower in fear of the IG bucket o'dice.

Jump Pack Death Company with Lemartes also became harder than hardcore; 6 str 5 attacks each on the charge (1 Hammer of Wrath attack, plus 2 base attacks, +1 for two weapons, +2 for Rage) re-rolling to hit and re-rolling to wound (with a better than 90% chance of wounding a marine)? Yes please. Horribly expensive, true, but: shock and awe.

DarkLink
07-28-2012, 11:31 PM
Mind Shackle Scarabs are stupid.

For full-on killi-ness, Paladins still trump all. THSS Terminators are a little better at killing them now, but you still have the problem if delivering the THSS Terminators. You can only fit 8 in a Crusader, and the Paladins will wreck the Crusader, then kite the THSSs for a turn or two, killing several, then by the time the remaining THSS Terminators reach the Paladins, the Paladins will cause enough wounds to force armor saves and kill most of the squad. A few Paladins will probably die, but you've spent 600pts to kill maybe 4 Paladins, and the Paladins themselves are only 700-800pts.

Filthspew
07-29-2012, 03:13 AM
A few Paladins will probably die, but you've spent 600pts to kill maybe 4 Paladins, and the Paladins themselves are only 700-800pts.

Then you are comparing killyness between 600 and 800 points mate.

The four Paladins gone in your estimated result there is more expensive than the difference beween the two units.

Its like saying 14 terminators are more killy than 10 terminators.

IMO, grey knight strike squads are still the killiest.

With the gear and options on them, they are about half price of what they should be.

Seriously!