PDA

View Full Version : Limited Edition/Rare Books

Jmaximum
07-26-2012, 05:52 AM
Hey folks-
Was interested in a list of what is considered a limited or rare edition book, such as:
Aurelian
Promethian Sun
Daenythos

Any others out there?

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
07-26-2012, 06:00 AM
The Unkindness of Ravens, Catechism of Hate, there was a Night Lord one too, and an Iron Warrior one.

wittdooley
07-26-2012, 06:59 AM
Are you sure there was a Night Lord one?

Unimaginatively, the Iron Warrior book is called "Iron Warrior." It's actually really, really good.

Some of the chapbooks are also semi rare.

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
07-26-2012, 07:05 AM
Yeah, it was called Lord of the Night (also a dull name) methinks.

This is a new edition of Lord of the Night, first published in 2005. Like all our print on demand(?) books, Lord of the Night is printed as an attractive large format novel.

wittdooley
07-26-2012, 07:34 AM
Oh... I didn't know that was a limited book. I have the original mass market printing, so that must have thrown me off.

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
07-26-2012, 07:43 AM
It is now it would seem.

Also, I agree, Iron Warrior was awesome. Haven't read it in ages though.

Wildeybeast
07-26-2012, 02:42 PM
You may want to check out this (http://www.blacklibrary.com/exclusive-products/Collectors-Editions) page. In addition there is this (http://www.blacklibrary.com/exclusive-products/Direct-Exclusives) page. There are also a number of now OOP print books from the early days of GW/BL publishing which would be considered rare by virtue of being OOP. The ones I possess as examples are The Life of Sigmar, The Witch Hunters Handbook, Liber Chaotica and Empire at War.

Jmaximum
07-26-2012, 05:38 PM
All sounds like awesome stuff!
I THINK i have Iron Warrior, Lord of the Night

Also, as an addendum to my own thread: please list the Audio Books too, as I know those are hard to come by.

********************SPOILER*********************** ************************************

(is lord of the Night the one where the Nightlord pretty much takes over all the gangs in an underhive and then escapes with an inquisitor in tow?)

wittdooley
07-26-2012, 06:23 PM
You may want to check out this (http://www.blacklibrary.com/exclusive-products/Collectors-Editions) page. In addition there is this (http://www.blacklibrary.com/exclusive-products/Direct-Exclusives) page. There are also a number of now OOP print books from the early days of GW/BL publishing which would be considered rare by virtue of being OOP. The ones I possess as examples are The Life of Sigmar, The Witch Hunters Handbook, Liber Chaotica and Empire at War.

Empire at War. WHAAAAAAAAT? Explain, please!

Jmaximum
07-26-2012, 09:19 PM
Ok nevermind the spoilers for Lord of Night. The description gives it away. I do have that, and the story is pretty cool.
I MAY have Iron Warrior in a *cough* collection that I *cough* found *cough*.

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
07-26-2012, 11:48 PM
STOP RIGHT THERE CRIMINAL SCUM!
n

Psychosplodge
07-27-2012, 02:22 AM
So I've got the the iron warriors one, aurelian in gold, the salamander chapbook, a Kal jerico graphic novel that I've seen seel for more than 3 times cover price on ebay, the first two horus heresy collected visions collectors edition, and the black crusade pack with the book, medal, satchel etc.

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
07-27-2012, 02:29 AM
The Fantasy Flight Black Crusade?

Psychosplodge
07-27-2012, 02:34 AM
No the blacklibrary book, it had a campaign medal and other novelties with it.

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
07-27-2012, 02:37 AM
Oh.

The Fantasy Flight Games book is a beast, I hit my mate with it and he had a giant bruise for about four weeks

Psychosplodge
07-27-2012, 02:44 AM
Friendly...

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
07-27-2012, 02:47 AM
We wanted to see how much damage it could cause a person, don't worry, he's in the army. :p

http://roleplayerschronicle.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/FFG-Black-Chaos-CE.jpg

Gotthammer
07-27-2012, 02:50 AM
IRon Warrior is coming out in the iron warrior's omnibus, so any individual books will be devalued pretty soon. There are also the games day exclusive collections to consider as well.

@ TDA - the FFG books are certainly beastly, I got a whole bunch at once and the carton weighed almost 30kgs!

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
07-27-2012, 02:54 AM
HOLY MARA! That's a lotta books!

My entire Deathwatch book collection must come to near that, I'll have to weigh it. I've bought everything for DW and BC that they have produced.

Know the best part? I HATE the D100 system. I just love the artwork and background, that's right everyone I buy £40 books just for the pictures. :D

Psychosplodge
07-27-2012, 02:57 AM
We wanted to see how much damage it could cause a person, don't worry, he's in the army. :p

http://roleplayerschronicle.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/FFG-Black-Chaos-CE.jpg

So what you're saying is you made the army less effective for four weeks?

I always fancied the special edition chaos series, that came padlocked in boxes...

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
07-27-2012, 02:59 AM
MEHTUL BAWKSES.

What I'm saying is he was on reserve for 2 months, which he hated, plus it didn't actually affect him, he's a man-tank.

Psychosplodge
07-27-2012, 03:02 AM
So it isn't of use as a weapon...

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
07-27-2012, 03:07 AM
It'd probably kill my mate Tom, but then again a gust of wind cripples him.

Psychosplodge
07-27-2012, 03:12 AM
There's only one way to find out....

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
07-27-2012, 03:14 AM
Na, Tom may be a dole-ite, but he has his uses.

Plus, it's far more entertaining to keep him alive.

On topic: Do we consider the FFG Collector's Editions to be included in this list?

Jmaximum
07-27-2012, 04:52 AM
Maybe, I didn't even know the Fantasy Flight Games books existed!
Apparently things are much more limited in release over here across the pond in the states.

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
07-27-2012, 04:58 AM
WHAT?! THEY'RE AN AMERICAN COMPANY. xD

*head explodes*

eldargal
07-27-2012, 05:58 AM
Some of the OOP Black Library art books are quite rare, like the Gothic and the Eldritch, a compilation of Jes Goodwins sketches. There is also another old BL art book which I can't remember the name of which is OOP and hard to find.

Psychosplodge
07-27-2012, 06:06 AM
The xenos one was at somepoint, have they reprinted it?

Wildeybeast
07-27-2012, 08:14 AM
Empire at War. WHAAAAAAAAT? Explain, please!

It's a background book, written from the perspective of an Empire general explaining empire fighting styles, troops etc through a discussion of a series of battles. A4 size and full colour, very nice (complete with pretty pictures of the Ice Queen). I forgot that I also have Blood on the Reik which is a similar style, a sort of tourists guide to the Empire. This is perhaps even better than Empire at War as it contains info and loads of John Blanche sketches on everything from dockworkers to lamplighters to rat catchers to sexy Maids of Sigmar to *ahem* ladies of negotiable affection. Absolutely fantastic source for ambtious modle converters. They went through a phase of doing these things a while back (Liber Chaotica and the Witch Hunter's Handbook are similar) and I wish they would again. If you are interested in these sort of things I highly recommend trying to find them on ebay as they are excellent books.

Psychosplodge
07-27-2012, 08:17 AM
Liber Chaotica

That's the series I wanted, find the limited editions they look amazing!

Wildeybeast
07-27-2012, 08:28 AM
I managed to get hold of the compilation edition that has all of them in, another really nice book. Man, I wish they would do more of these background books alongside the novels.

Psychosplodge
07-27-2012, 08:28 AM
The one in the clear perspex chained box?

Wildeybeast
07-27-2012, 08:37 AM
I wasn't aware they did one of those! I must have the standard edition.

wittdooley
07-27-2012, 09:23 AM
It's a background book, written from the perspective of an Empire general explaining empire fighting styles, troops etc through a discussion of a series of battles. A4 size and full colour, very nice (complete with pretty pictures of the Ice Queen). I forgot that I also have Blood on the Reik which is a similar style, a sort of tourists guide to the Empire. This is perhaps even better than Empire at War as it contains info and loads of John Blanche sketches on everything from dockworkers to lamplighters to rat catchers to sexy Maids of Sigmar to *ahem* ladies of negotiable affection. Absolutely fantastic source for ambtious modle converters. They went through a phase of doing these things a while back (Liber Chaotica and the Witch Hunter's Handbook are similar) and I wish they would again. If you are interested in these sort of things I highly recommend trying to find them on ebay as they are excellent books.

Balls. Looks like they're all going for $50-80. Fiddlesticks!

Wildeybeast
07-27-2012, 12:47 PM
Balls. Looks like they're all going for $50-80. Fiddlesticks!

That's not too bad considering the RRP was $30. I'd have thought they would be more.

Nosmo75
07-27-2012, 06:32 PM
Xenology. Oh, and The Loathsome Ratmen And All Their Vile Kin. =)

entendre_entendre
07-28-2012, 03:25 AM
I have Lord of the Night (pretty awesome, even though Mr. Dembski-Bowden likes to take shots at it from his NL trilogy, which I found to be rather humorous) the Horus Heresy Collected Visions hardcover (HH series spoilers lol), and the Liber Chaotica hardcover (with the additional 'Liber Undivided'). Interestingly, both of the latter I bought at my local GW. :cool:

I'd like to ad the Inquisition Wars series to the list. That is old school stuff that is pretty much contradicted by current fluff IIRC. The William King Ragnar Blackmane novels (non-collection versions) should be on the list too. Xenology is a highly sought after OOP book that I've seen for $200+ online, but is a must-read for any true 40k nerd. My advice: *cough* torrent pdf *cough* What? I said find someone who has it and borrow it from them. Why would I say anything else? >.> <.<

Psychosplodge
07-30-2012, 02:01 AM
I wasn't aware they did one of those! I must have the standard edition.

It was awesome, but at the wrong time of the monthly funds cycle lol

this is it

http://www.kaboodle.com/hi/img/a/0/0/d/3/AAAACvVEA8EAAAAAAA00sA.jpg?v=1156775674000

Wildeybeast
07-30-2012, 02:15 PM
Wow, how did I miss that?

Psychosplodge
07-31-2012, 01:34 AM
Well as you appear to be the same age as me you were probably in the final year of uni ish if I remember rightly, I'm pretty sure that's what stopped me buying it...

And I think it had a three figure price tag...

Wildeybeast
07-31-2012, 04:38 AM
That's probably it. I wasn't really gaming at uni so I must have picked up the standard edition later on.