PDA

View Full Version : Why do I need to know? - 6th Edition Opinion Rant

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
07-24-2012, 01:10 AM
Hello all,

Time to NOT be my regular calm self for a while...

WHY DO I NEED TO KNOW YOUR OPINION ABOUT 6TH EDITION!?
I hate it when these threads pop up, it annoys me to no end, people constantly moaning about 6th edition being random and rules being confusing. I understand them perfectly and don't need to twist the rules to gain some kind of advantage, I could just.... y'know.... think about how I'm playing my current game? Stay in the moment and adapt to a situation when it comes.

What is even the point of Theoryhammer at this stage? Every army is different because every person is different, so stop trying to develop a tactic based on a theory. The disturbed waters of 40k have not even calmed yet, how can you think of what MAY be the new meta? Sure, you can predict certain things (looking at you Draigo!) but most of it is completely random chance.

Guys and gals, let's face it, we are stuck with this edition for at least 5 years, stop moaning and start playing.
If you want to quit then quit, don't post on here expecting sympathy.

Agent out. /rant

Wolfshade
07-24-2012, 01:29 AM
Quite true, I think that there is quite a bit of "I don't like this" because the new rules have changed the way we play. "Power Weapons are nerfed" they aren't nerfed, just the way that they are used has changed, and to be honest I think some of this is a good thing, after all how often have we seen imperial guardsmen sarges ripping apart terminators. This are just different, the old meta is gone long live the new meta, actually I am fortunate in my gaming group we don't have people who play a meta game. We play lists that we want to because we want to.
Less than a month to get used to a new rule set, how many games is that? Chances are this is less than you played in 5th, and there is comfort in the familiar, one of the reasons get people stuck in a rut, because it is safe and comfortable and change is scary

Emerald Rose Widow
07-24-2012, 01:31 AM
Yeah, a lot of people are deathly afraid of change, personally I embrace it and work with it, because its new and exciting, something new to try and experience.

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
07-24-2012, 01:32 AM
Completely agree with all of those points!

I've played like.... 8 games of 6th so far?

Psychosplodge
07-24-2012, 04:06 AM
Because it's not 2nd godsdamn it !!

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
07-24-2012, 04:09 AM
Hah! You've taken to saying "gods" too ey? :p

"I played 2nd Edition, you probably haven't heard of it"

Cap'nSmurfs
07-24-2012, 04:11 AM
I wonder how these people would've coped with the 2nd-3rd transition. Because the scale of change we have here is nothing like that.

I've played two games, had a lot of fun both times. My last opponent was over the moon that he could ally some of his Chaos Space Marines with his lovingly-converted traitor guardsmen. I'm still new at this, and I got absolutely trounced by the traitor guy. But it was a blast - we had fun, and we learned from it.

Staying away from the internet in the first days of a new edition seems sensible. The guys who I've seen actually playing have been enjoying themselves.

Wolfshade: yeah, you're absolutely right with power weapons, this is a bugbear of mine. They didn't get worse, they now fit into a more granular selection of weapons. Denying a 3+ is still huge. That still gets you through 90% of armour. The way people talk, you'd think everyone and their maiden aunt was able to take terminator armour.

Shorter: "I agree!"

Psychosplodge
07-24-2012, 04:13 AM
Hah! You've taken to saying "gods" too ey? :p

Well as I don't believe in any polytheism makes as much sense to me as monotheism...

Wolfshade
07-24-2012, 04:14 AM
Thunder Hammers have been nerfed, they used to auto penetrate armour.

Psychosplodge
07-24-2012, 04:15 AM
I wonder how these people would've coped with the 2nd-3rd transition. Because the scale of change we have here is nothing like that.

I quit, that's how. I returned briefly for forth, then went back to just reading, collecting, and sometimes painting.

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
07-24-2012, 04:18 AM
Well as I don't believe in any polytheism makes as much sense to me as monotheism...

Same story here, I just like the Nine Divines from TES.
"You are aware that they are fictional?" someone asked me.
"Yes, doesn't stop me from saying it though. Are you discriminating against my religion?"
"Uhhh... umm.... No?"
"Good lad"

What Cap'nSmurfs said

Yeah, I really enjoy playing 6th, it's much more fluid and forgiving, and a hell of a lot of fun.

Cap'nSmurfs
07-24-2012, 04:20 AM
Ironically, 3rd totally removed Terminators from the game for a while there. Power weapons ignored their saves, as did the (then still plentiful) plasma guns, lascanoon etc. So people stopped taking them. The 5++ was added in a White Dwarf Chapter Approved.

I was sad when 3rd took away my Guardian lasguns. :( I QUIT IMMEDIATELY

Wolfshade
07-24-2012, 04:23 AM
I never got to grips with 3rd, the falling back through line of fire was very hard to keep track of. I like what they tried to do, since 2nd in large games became unweildy. I had a 30 man death company and trying to keep track of the bonuses for being the nth + 1 in combat was crazy combined with working out how each of those weapons worked

SotonShades
07-24-2012, 04:25 AM
Got to agree TDA. I'm still avoiding the Rules Forum and all the arguments I am fairly certain are happenning there. So far all the games I've played have been a blast, though some situations (especially against Nids) made my head hurt trying to remember exactly where in the book I needed to look to clarify what rule. That said, every one at my FLGS and gaming club have been very patient with each other, from the fluffiest fluffy bunnies to the hard core tournament guys. Everyone is more than willing to look stuff up and check because they want everything to be played right.

The sky may be falling for some people, but round here it is kind of a Golden Age (I'm not saying 6th is perfect by any means) because everyone has become equally bad at the rules and are actively trying to help each other learn rather than trying to gain an advantage!

Psychosplodge
07-24-2012, 04:27 AM
Yes but being the nth +1 was how I had a V.sgt butcher a squad of genestealers with a chainsword...

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
07-24-2012, 04:32 AM
Snip

Yeah, it's the same with mine, everyone is comfortable with the rules in Shrewsbury now and even if we're unsure of something we just look it up.

magickbk
07-24-2012, 11:41 AM
I remember the transition from 2nd to 3rd fondly. If nothing else, because all the Codexes were rendered obsolete, everyone pretty much got knocked down to the same level at the very outset. Of course, if you were the last codex to be released then there were some issues, but that transition was handled pretty well. The difficult part was that everyone had to build up their Troops choices, because back in 2nd your mandatory squads allotment could have some ridiculous stuff, such as units of 3 aspect warriors.

As someone who doesn't really get to play as much as I'd like, the internet keeps me in the know about the GW gaming world out there, but it isn't what I see when I play games. There isn't a meta in my gaming group. There aren't really even Space Marines. I've played Guard, Inquisition, Dark Eldar, and Tau mostly for the past 8 years, and my opponents have been Necrons, Orks, Eldar.

I'm sure I'm in for a rude awakening when I set foot in a new store to play some pick-up games, but unfortunately that is where the game has gone, and it isn't the game that encourages it, it is the people that make it that way. Ultimately 40K is what we as the hobbyists make of it, and right now the majority(or loud minority) is making it meta-netlist-crap. It is up to each of us to make our local groups good.

Cap'nSmurfs
07-24-2012, 12:07 PM
Well said!

And yeah, I was so pleased when I started playing in my local store - I think I've seen everything except Sisters. I'm the only guy with Codex Marines. I think we have Blood Angels, Necrons, a few Guard (loyal and traitor), Tau, Tyranids, Dark Eldar, Eldar, Space Wolves, Chaos Marines (admittedly as allies) and I spoke to a guy today who has Orks! It's genuinely awesome to have that variety.

I have to admit, also, I'm using the new edition deliberately to get myself back into the game. I'm learning, but so is everyone else. :)

UrielVentris
07-24-2012, 04:22 PM
Agreed. The Waac gamers at my store are complaining about randomness, but the way i see it is that this isn't chess. You're not fighting on an open field and even when you are then you're not going to be able to do the same action in the same time period every time.

Same as an athlete can run a 4.2 one session then run a 4.6 another.

I for one love the randomness it means you need to have many levels of tactical thinking. If you need one simple action to win and you don't win when it happens then you need to rethink your general strategy of how to play a wartime then. :-)

Psychosplodge
07-25-2012, 02:28 AM
I remember the transition from 2nd to 3rd fondly.

Heresy!

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
07-25-2012, 02:34 AM
I love that some people complain that they now have to think, it's kind of amusing.

Psychosplodge
07-25-2012, 02:54 AM
UH my brain, it hurts

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
07-25-2012, 03:02 AM
Who would've thought that you'd have to think to play a strategic wargame? Blasphemy.

Psychosplodge
07-25-2012, 03:13 AM
Tactical, epic is strategic.

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
07-25-2012, 03:17 AM
Bananahammock.

Psychosplodge
07-25-2012, 03:23 AM
Bananahammock.
just no.
really really no.

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
07-25-2012, 03:26 AM
It's a statement that settles disputes and ends wars.

Psychosplodge
07-25-2012, 03:33 AM
Not convinced,

Come on chaps, once we go over the top, we'll all give a jolly good shout of "Banana hammock" and they'll be so impressed they'll all lay down their arms...

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
07-25-2012, 03:35 AM
I could make it work, trust me. :p

Tehre is noh time to beh lohst!

Battle Brothars!

Spehss Mahrens, todeh the enemeh is at oua doar! We know oua duteh and we will do eet. We fight for our honor as BANANAHAMMOCKS,
as SPESS MAHRENS, and we fight in the nehme of the BANANAHAMMOCK!

And if we die this deh we die in gloareh, we die heroes' deffs, but we shall not die, no! It is the enemeh who will tehste
deff and defeat!

As you know! Moast of oua BANANAHAMMOCKS are shtehtioned in SPEHSS, Pruhpeared to deep strike! Oua perimeter has been
pruhpeared in the even dat oua enehmies should be so bald and so foolish. We have plehced numerous beacons, allowing for
muhltiple, simuln-tehneous and devashtehting defensive BANANAHAMMOCKS

The Codecks astartees nehmes this maneuvah BANANAHAMMOCK. We will descend upon the foe, we will ovawhelm them - we will leave none alive! Meanwhile oua ground fawses will ensue the full defense of oua headkwaters

We are the spehss mahrens! WE ARE THE EMPRA'S BANANAHAMMOCKS!

Psychosplodge
07-25-2012, 03:47 AM
You've played too much total war...

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
07-25-2012, 03:52 AM
Don't you mean Dawn of War: Soulstorm?

Psychosplodge
07-25-2012, 03:59 AM
Oh did they steal that?
I dodn't play that much, can't remember which faction I played either...

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
07-25-2012, 04:02 AM
The Eldar have me matchlocked, I can't see their frekking INFILTRATED BASE, what wankers.
I don't have a Solar Pulse to see infiltrated units, so now I have a legion of Necron Immortals stood around one corner of the map sniping Farseers and Bonesingers as they pop out of nowhere, Eldar dicks.

Learn2Eel
07-25-2012, 04:35 AM
I loved Dark Crusade, sort of enjoyed Soulstorm.
Dawn of War II, now that's a game I can keep coming back to.
Seriously though.....in the original Dawn of War (and its subsequent expansions) the Eldar seemed so....bleh. They weren't visually appealing at all.

Come Dawn of War II however......and damn! Now they're awesome :D

Learn2Eel
07-25-2012, 04:35 AM
The Eldar have me matchlocked, I can't see their frekking INFILTRATED BASE, what wankers.
I don't have a Solar Pulse to see infiltrated units, so now I have a legion of Necron Immortals stood around one corner of the map sniping Farseers and Bonesingers as they pop out of nowhere, Eldar dicks.

Hey there, I'm going to teleport my base before you can uncloack me. :mad:

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
07-25-2012, 04:39 AM
I hate them so much. I'm now taking a Solar Pulse until the Eldar are all gone. STANDARD.

Me Necron kill you guy.

I just love the speeches in Dawn of War: SS, so terrible.

Cap'nSmurfs
07-25-2012, 04:42 AM
Banana hammocks? Squad broken!

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
07-25-2012, 04:44 AM
*runs around with flailing arms*

Learn2Eel
07-25-2012, 04:44 AM
Hahaha I can just imagine Spesh Mehrines saying that in their voice right now :D Thanks mate.

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
07-25-2012, 04:48 AM
Hah. Dawn of War brings many lulz.

Cap'nSmurfs
07-25-2012, 04:53 AM
I haven't been able to get a game in yet without at least two (2) references to metal boxes. Bonus points for a SIIIIIIIIIIIIIINDRIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII! though!

Learn2Eel
07-25-2012, 04:54 AM
Ooh yeah, especially the Hive Mind announcer for Retribution. :eek:

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
07-25-2012, 04:57 AM
SIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINNNNNNNNNNNNNDDDDDDDDDDDDDRRRR RRRIIIIIIIIIIIIIII BBBBBBBBBAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWKKKKKKKKKKSEEEEEE EEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Da cow-ards, da fewls.
Mehtul spesh.

The Hive Mind made me laugh "Hunt.... Kill.... Eat...."

Cap'nSmurfs
07-25-2012, 04:59 AM
Ahh, I don't have that one. I never played Soulstorm either, as it happens - the internet made me aware of things. For ages I thought the VO on Dawn of Awesome was something some guys had made for giggles. But no. No, that's real. That happened.

"CODEX ASTARTES NAMES THIS TACTIC - STEELREHN"

You keep referencing this book, commander. I do not think it says what you think it says.

Learn2Eel
07-25-2012, 05:00 AM
"Drive me closer! I want to hit them with my sword!"

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
07-25-2012, 05:03 AM
Ahh, I don't have that one. I never played Soulstorm either, as it happens - the internet made me aware of things. For ages I thought the VO on Dawn of Awesome was something some guys had made for giggles. But no. No, that's real. That happened.

"CODEX ASTARTES NAMES THIS TACTIC - STEELREHN"

You keep referencing this book, commander. I do not think it says what you think it says.

Hahahahahaha!

For any Warhammer jokes you should read 1d4 chan (http://1d4chan.org/wiki/Indrick_Boreale). :D

Psychosplodge
07-25-2012, 05:16 AM
Hahahahahaha!

For any Warhammer jokes you should read 1d4 chan (http://1d4chan.org/wiki/Indrick_Boreale). :D
While eating blue waffles?

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
07-25-2012, 05:21 AM
And viewing Yaoi.

Psychosplodge
07-25-2012, 05:29 AM
lol

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
07-25-2012, 05:30 AM
What a crazy afternoon that would be. :p

Psychosplodge
07-25-2012, 05:31 AM
Crazy is one word for it...

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
07-25-2012, 05:34 AM
Wolfie's perfect day. :p

Wolfshade
07-25-2012, 06:07 AM
Wolfie's perfect day. :p

Eh what what? I was out to lunch, what's my perfect day?

Psychosplodge
07-25-2012, 06:10 AM
Apparently reading 1d4 chan while watching yaoi and eating blue waffles...

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
07-25-2012, 06:13 AM
Sounds ideal for you.

Psychosplodge
07-25-2012, 06:14 AM
Sounds awful lol

Wolfshade
07-25-2012, 06:18 AM
Hmmm,

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
07-25-2012, 06:19 AM
To everyone else.

velox atrum
07-26-2012, 03:11 PM
WHY DO I NEED TO KNOW YOUR OPINION ABOUT 6TH EDITION!?..

Umm... you don't you can skip all the threads of this type as easy as a Terminator used to make armor saves....

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
07-26-2012, 11:51 PM

Umm... you don't you can skip all the threads of this type as easy as a Terminator used to make armor saves....

There is a quote button dude, use it.

How has a Terminator lost it's ability to pass a 2+ save?!!? It's the best armour save in the game!

Wolfshade
07-27-2012, 01:47 AM

Rolls a 1, d'oh!

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
07-27-2012, 01:47 AM
That's a botched awareness test. I SEE NOTHING.

Psychosplodge
07-27-2012, 01:50 AM
Took the hat of perception off again?

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
07-27-2012, 01:52 AM
THE GOGGLES, THEY DO NOTHING.
*falls off a bridge*

Psychosplodge
07-27-2012, 02:02 AM
You need the pyro vision goggles...

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
07-27-2012, 02:04 AM
Yes I do. *equips Pyro mask*
I see all the colours! :D

Psychosplodge
07-27-2012, 02:14 AM
Do you believe in magic...

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
07-27-2012, 02:17 AM
I've always liked the idea but I can say without doubt that it doesn't exist. :p

Psychosplodge
07-27-2012, 02:23 AM
you took the mask off?

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
07-27-2012, 02:29 AM
Yep. It was too happy for me.

ksoh75
07-27-2012, 04:59 AM
Yep. It was too happy for me.

Why is your thread more popular than mine??? Are you handing out sexual favors again???

I can't compete with that....

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
07-27-2012, 05:03 AM
I'm a social catalyst, don't blame yourself. :D

That, and the sexual favours...

ksoh75
07-27-2012, 05:23 AM
i'm a social catalyst, don't blame yourself. :d

that, and the sexual favours...

lol

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
07-27-2012, 05:24 AM
*Fonz pose*
EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEYYYYYYYYYYY!