PDA

View Full Version : Eldar vs FMC's bane

Bellumvinco
07-23-2012, 06:50 PM
Are you a Eldar player with a Flying Monstrous Creature problem and have no access to Skyfire?

Try this nasty little combo to clear the skies and then terrorize infantry after.

Farseer w/Prescience joined with a squad of Rangers (10).

You need 6s to hit, Prescience lets you re-roll all non 6s. If you do roll a 6, let the nastyness begin.
Ranger Long Rifle. Any shooting roll to hit of a 6 counts as AP 1.

Range: 36" S:X AP:6 Heavy 1, Sniper, Pinning

Sniper USR: good stuff + Rending! A roll of a 6 wounds automatically! So if you hit you wound and pop it's armor causing a invulnerable sv and a grounding roll. If you miss you get to re-roll all the dice trying to get more 6s! Because of Prescience.

SonicPara
07-23-2012, 08:37 PM
This may make me a believer in Rangers/Pathfinders. They always seemed too expensive and not as fun as mech eldar with Dire Avengers but this combo is absolutely disgusting.

DarkLink
07-23-2012, 08:51 PM
But you still need to roll 6's to hit. FMCs and Flyers are tough because you need 6's to hit them, otherwise they're not any tougher than anything else out there. So if you want to deal with them, you need to be rolling a lot of dice to get those 6's. 10 shots, even with rerolls to hit, is not a lot of dice, and thus not unusually effective against FMCs. You're better off Guiding a unit of War Walkers and rolling a bucketful of dice, then using the Rangers when he fails his Ground Test.

thecactusman17
07-23-2012, 11:01 PM
Don't forget though that any successful hits also result in a 50/50 chance of taking an additional wound at the end of the phase. When you consider that Rangers get that 1/6 chance, and then wound on a 4+, they really are an above-average choice for shooting down monstrous flyers. But I agree with you on the warwalkers: the sheer number of dice are just as likely to result in as many wounds after all is said and done.

Xenith
07-24-2012, 02:53 AM
As with darklink, even a guided/presience squad of 10, you're looking at 3 hits and 2 wounds if you're lucky/doomed the thing.

Not great for a 240pt unit of pathfinders and a 120pt farseer.

You would probably be better off buying a fortress of redemption and using the TL icarus lascannons and fragstorms. Better at anti flyer and anti infantry than the rangers in both respects. And gives your avengers a 3+ cover.

Tynskel
07-24-2012, 11:02 AM
Don't forget Eldar Flyers!

Really, the only army that cannot bring anti-flyer gear to the battlefield is the Tyranids.

They do have Vectored Strike, and for the most part, that'll work well.
Hive Tyrants with Vectored Strike and 1 set of Devourers, will do well. Especially combined with a non-witchfire power that can dmg vehicles.

Bellumvinco
07-24-2012, 11:24 AM
I can't disagree. There are better options. I don't own Eldar flyers, 3 warwalkers or a fortress of redemtion. With a 2 year old and a new born, I more than likely never will. I do have that combo though.

I'm using it as a allied detachtment. Last game I used a 5 man bolter squad to bait a bloodthirster into a Vector Strike it couldn't resist. The rangers killed it in 1 shooting phase.

I mostly took them to get access to farseer runes of warding, but have been very usefull in other situations as well.

Don't forget, a sniper roll of a 6 also is Rending now. Automatically wounds! Is a Prescision Shot and since you're fireing a eldar long rifle is AP 1. Once the flyers were gone they tore up his terminators too!

Defenestratus
07-24-2012, 11:35 AM
I mostly took them to get access to farseer runes of warding, but have been very usefull in other situations as well.

This is exactly the kind of bull**** that I knew would happen with the allies rule.

*vomit*

DarkLink
07-24-2012, 12:37 PM
Before you get your panties in a bunch, just remember he's paying 300+ points for Runes, and not a whole lot else. Aside from Runes, Eldar units are not exactly competitive with just about any codices regular units.

Bellumvinco
07-24-2012, 02:22 PM
This is exactly the kind of bull**** that I knew would happen with the allies rule.

*vomit*

I'm sorry you feel that way. Allies are here to stay. You can either learn to deal with, fall behind the curve, or quit. Either way, you're in the minority.

The above comment is right. I spent precious points on it. /shrug...you either know how to play crafty or you're a cookie cutter. I'm sure I'll get bored with it. I always have a small portion of points I switch out to keep things feeling fresh.

A friend of mine back in 2nd edition always played Calgar in his force. He basically always deplayed 2nd and went 1st. All he would do is call Overwatch with his entire force and blast my army on his turn. Mean while, I was learning how to deploy and move...3rd edition comes around. All of the sudden over watch is gone and I'm out maneuvering him clearing his army from the table and taking objectives with opposition. The morale of the story is...don't hate Allies...Learn how to play with it or be left behind...

SeekingOne
07-24-2012, 04:58 PM
Sniper USR: good stuff + Rending! A roll of a 6 wounds automatically! So if you hit you wound and pop it's armor causing a invulnerable sv and a grounding roll.

Unless I'm mising something, rending causes an automatic wound when you get a '6' on a roll To Wound. So if you managed to hit an MFC on a '6', you still need to wound it on 4+.

Bellumvinco
07-24-2012, 09:18 PM
You are completely right. I get carried away sometimes. My typing is slower than my thoughts. :) The rending really only helps if you're firing at vehicles, since the sniper rifle wounds whatever on a 4+...ya don't need a 6. Thanks!

Sainhann
07-25-2012, 12:20 AM
Before you get your panties in a bunch, just remember he's paying 300+ points for Runes, and not a whole lot else. Aside from Runes, Eldar units are not exactly competitive with just about any codices regular units.

I would disagree with this.

The Eldar have some very good units and yes some are over priced. Plus the Force Composition Chart is one of our biggest issues since I would love to field more than just six troops but due to that damm chart we can't.

GW really needs to do something like they did for Imperial Guard and allow for Guardian Detachments that count as one Troop Choice.

I have been looking at units and I see a use for Storm Guardians in squads of 11, 88 points and you arm them with two pistols (I.E. Gunslingers) and give two of them Fusion Guns for another 12 points.

So for 100 points you get 9 guys with two pistols (they do need to be model with them) and 2 guys with Fusion guns.

Now take four squads and now you have 44 Guardians and 8 Fusion Guns. Have the Avatar with them and they are now Fearless as well.

The only thing going against this is that I also want to have two Squads of Dire Avengers and at two maybe three squads of regular Guardians, plus some Snipers.

Oh, I know that if I play at 2000+ points I can do this but I want to do it with under 2000 points as well.

I really have hated that stupid Force Composition Chart for over a Decade.

SeekingOne
07-25-2012, 03:04 AM
I would disagree with this.

The Eldar have some very good units and yes some are over priced.

Couln't help making a small note to this.
You see, you really can't view and evaluate a unit separately from its cost. Thus if a unit is overpriced, it really can't be considered "good". Of course you could say something along the lines that in theory, IF the overpriced unit in question were cheaper, it could've been really good. But still in the existing reality it's not good.

I have been looking at units and I see a use for Storm Guardians in squads of 11, 88 points and you arm them with two pistols (I.E. Gunslingers) and give two of them Fusion Guns for another 12 points.

Are you really allowed to just replace a model's close combat weapon with a second pistol? Where do the rules say this?

Aramel
07-25-2012, 03:42 AM
You are completely right. I get carried away sometimes. My typing is slower than my thoughts. :) The rending really only helps if you're firing at vehicles, since the sniper rifle wounds whatever on a 4+...ya don't need a 6. Thanks!

The point is moot though because if you needed 6s to hit, the wounds will be at AP1 anyway, which is pretty much rending. Hmm actually better right? I think rending is ap2. I still think quad guns are a better choice though, str 7 will wound most daemons on a 3+. It is only ap4, but with 4 virtually guaranteed shots, chances are better than relying on sniper shots. Of course, my list also has 5 rangers and 5 pathfinders, so I can always try that if the gun fails.